Notices

OverHeating STILL????????WTF?????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OverHeating STILL????????WTF?????????

I have come to the end of my rope with this car, I have a turbo, b18c... Cant stop the damn thing from overheating..

New Water Pump
New Thermostat 3 times
GSR Amumn Radiator
2- 10inch slim fans allways on

I bought the pre mix peak antifreeze and the car can idle for hours. But once you get out and going the temp goes up to the moon.. release the nozzle on the neck and STEAM COMES and Comes.

Is Air getting in to the system??? Help before i go Insain
Old 07-08-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OverHeating STILL????????WTF????????? (cnydelSolHybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnydelSolHybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have come to the end of my rope with this car, I have a turbo, b18c... Cant stop the damn thing from overheating..

New Water Pump
New Thermostat 3 times
GSR Amumn Radiator

I bought the pre mix peak antifreeze and the car can idle for hours. But once you get out and going the temp goes up to the moon.. release the nozzle on the neck and STEAM COMES and Comes.

Is Air getting in to the system??? Help before i go Insain </TD></TR></TABLE>

Check a few things

Any leaks?
1. head gsket
2. hoses
3. radiator

Any oil in th e radiator?

Are mixing water in with the fluid...if so, how much?

Did you replace the radiator cap?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:54 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnydelSolHybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have come to the end of my rope with this car, I have a turbo, b18c... Cant stop the damn thing from overheating..

New Water Pump
New Thermostat 3 times
GSR Amumn Radiator

Is Air getting in to the system??? Help before i go Insain </TD></TR></TABLE>

welcome to my world
i've changed the water pump, wrapped/shielded everything i can with heat blankets (for lack of technical term), added water wetter, burped the radiator... i was so frusterated
my prob WAS worse..but now it only heats up when the A/C is on and it's 100+ outside.
my a/c lines look like something from the space shuttle with all the wrap on them (foil on the outside-type). i put a 14"X14" blanket (or close to that) between the condenser fan/exhaust side of turbo (just stuck it in there). that seemed to help alot.
you have a dump tube for your wastegate, right?
we figure my prob is the turbo heating up the water in the radiator as it sits. then, the engine warms up, thermostat opens, and in goes all the hot water.
when i'm going down the freeway, i can run fine with a/c. in town i have to drive like a g'ma if the a/c is on. sometimes it STILL heats up.
if i leave the a/c off i can drive plenty hard.

i have no problems when the temp is low 90's or cooler.. unfortunately, that's when the a/c works best too LOL.

i gave up too.

Old 07-08-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: OverHeating STILL????????WTF????????? (kaj)

No Leaks in the Headgasket, No Oil in the Radiator, just got a new Alumn rad. Guess im going to have to point the fans inside the rad support blowing on the turbo.

I just cant win
Old 07-08-2003, 04:05 PM

Hey here is a idea don't know if this will even pertain to you but if you recently put a head gasket on the motor you could have put it on the wrong way and if could be blocking the coolant ports, might be something to look into if you recently put a headgasket on.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you mean that they were pointing outwards?
Old 07-08-2003, 04:09 PM

Radiator cap.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:12 PM

Default Re: (Sleepin')

The cap that came with the rad says 16 pounds. Its Bran new. I have the gsr swap, and the gsr rad. The Fans were in side the engine bay by the turbo pushing the air forwards. Im going to put them infront of the radiator? yes? no?
Old 07-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (cnydelSolHybrid)

are you sure you bleed the coolant well enough? Takes me 45 mins to completly bleed mine.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 PM

Default Re: (intekragsr)

How do you bleed it??? Im lost? I was told to just leave the cap off till it over flows then put it on so thats what i did.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure your fans are blowing the right way. The air should be blowing on the motor. Hold a piece of paper in front of the bumper it should pull the paper in.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnydelSolHybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you bleed it??? Im lost? I was told to just leave the cap off till it over flows then put it on so thats what i did. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not till it over flows. You have to watch it, and keep it running. You will see lots of airpockets come out. Let it idle with the cap off until the fans kick on at least 5 times. Some reccomend 2 times, but from my experience, all the air doesnt get out till it cycles at least 5 times. Keep adding coolant as it bubbles out.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You either have a bad air pocket trapped in your coolant system, or your headstuds backed off enough that your head is lifting when you are driving the car. I had to find out the hard way about the head studs relaxing enough to allow the head to start to lift. The situation was identical to yours, at idle it was fine as soon as I would drive the car it would overheat all the way on the temp gauge. Since you have replaced pretty much everything else its an idea to keep in mind.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:01 PM

AAAAHHHHHHHAAAA!!! I have the fans blowing backwards then!!! also i have the fans wired so there allways on. Ill try to hook them up like the stock one and see what happens... THANKS!!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Re: OverHeating STILL????????WTF????????? (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You either have a bad air pocket trapped in your coolant system, or your headstuds backed off enough that your head is lifting when you are driving the car. I had to find out the hard way about the head studs relaxing enough to allow the head to start to lift. The situation was identical to yours, at idle it was fine as soon as I would drive the car it would overheat all the way on the temp gauge. Since you have replaced pretty much everything else its an idea to keep in mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im going to redo the entire thing tomm. I know i have the air going in the wrong direction so.. thats prolly the problem. I diddent start to get this bad till i switched rads and fans.. But if it happens again ill have that done asap!!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OverHeating STILL????????WTF????????? (MiraiZ)

hence my earlier comment

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you mean that they were pointing outwards? </TD></TR></TABLE>

good luck!
Old 07-08-2003, 07:25 PM

Default Re: OverHeating STILL????????WTF????????? (MiraiZ)

Ok, I have switched the fans and refilled the coolant. Now that my fans are on all the time i dont think my thermostat will kick at idle.. BUT i have taken out the heater core and have a hose from the waterpump shaft to the upper rad nozzle. and theres nothing in there but air i can feel it. so i guess ill just unlplug my fans till my thermostat pops and see if that all bubbles out. if not ill just plug both ends.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:29 PM

mine kept overheating too, turned out it was my headgasket

are you running an intercooler, do you have a bov?
Old 07-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intekragsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Let it idle with the cap off until the fans kick on at least 5 times. Some reccomend 2 times, but from my experience, all the air doesnt get out till it cycles at least 5 times. Keep adding coolant as it bubbles out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's crazy man...that would take forever. It's really not that hard to fill your cooling system. All you do is slowly fill the radiator until its full, then squeeze the lower radiator hose and wiggle the radiator a little bit also to get any air out. Then top off the radiator and cap it. Fill the coolant reservoir and you're done.

Switch those fans around so they blow the right way and i bet you'll see a world of difference in your water temps.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:59 AM

Default Re: (Willis)

No, that won't do anything you might have gotten lucky a couple of times but you need to let it sit there and bubble out air other wise you will have air pockets. Squeezing the bottom hose doesn't do anything, besides push whats in the hose around until you let go and then it goes right back in. I know on GSR motors they don't have a bleeder valve but I think that B16 and LS the do. I don't remember what you said you motor was so you might look for that.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboDC2)

try bleeding the system...does sound like you have air in there or maybe a crimp in one of your lines.
Old 07-09-2003, 01:04 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboDC2)

i have a GS-R and the bleeder valve is on the front of the block. if you're looking at the motor from the front, the valve is to the left of cylinder #1. it sticks right out. you can't miss it. i'll post a pic if you need one.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:07 PM

NM
Old 07-09-2003, 06:20 PM

Default Re: OverHeating STILL????????WTF????????? (swrdply400mrelay)

make SURE and be 100% you have the thermostat installed in the CORRECT POSITION. It's possible to install them backwards.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:44 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cnydelSolHybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AAAAHHHHHHHAAAA!!! I have the fans blowing backwards then!!! also i have the fans wired so there allways on. Ill try to hook them up like the stock one and see what happens... THANKS!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG! ..just keep it stock, it doesnt need to be on always, what i recommend is.. wrap the downpipe, thermostate that opens sooner.. same wit hthe fan switch,, and use 60/40 coolant mixture.. but fill the resovoir with water only...and that should keep it nice and cool.. invest in a oil cooler also

Quick Reply: OverHeating STILL????????WTF?????????