Notices

over heating/ idel problem/ rev problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating/ idel problem/ rev problem

it's a fresh motor a jdm b16a in a 99 civic si maybe 10 miles on it fully built ofcouse fluidine radiator and full-race turbo set up p30 ecu with crome. I haven't gotten the car tuned yet there's a vfac still wired into the ecu from before i pulled the motor out to some what control the engine/ injectors until i get it tuned. i threw a stock pair of 310cc prelude injector's in to get the car running so i can you know go around the block and check for problems and to put like 50 miles on the car before i get it tuned. my problem is first off the car idles very high it's idling between 2000-2500 rpm it drives pretty good tho obliviously it drives like a car that needes a tune but that's a given. right now the ignition is as advanced as the distributor bolts will let it go if i loosen the dristubitor bolts and play with the position of the distributor for the ignition timeing the idle dose drop to around 1100- 1500 rpm or so but if i retard the timeing the car drives horrible. why is my car idling so high ? second the car drives fine for about 10 minuts or so and than the temp guage sky rockets idk why this is over heating due to the same problem as the timeing or idle problem ? i'm not sure. my last question is the will rev to around 3500 right it's likwhen it hit's 3500 es hitting a rev limmiter the car bucks and jerks and the needle in the tach jumps like i'm red lineing it and it wont let me go any heigher than 3500 dose this have to do with breaking up ? or the crome softwear not being tuned or? my vfac has ne one had these problems before i dont think the ignition timeing is wrong but than if it was to far advance that would cause my car to overheat / idle higer.. what do you guys think
Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: over heating/ idel problem/ rev problem (b16bri)

what map are you running on crome? why wouldnt you have just had a basemap for your setup made and ripped out that peice of **** afc?

3500 rev limiter means its in limp mode, so im guessing you have a check engine light. pull the codes and fix whatever is causing it.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: over heating/ idel problem/ rev problem (CoreyR)

right now there is no base map long story but i had my car at a performace shop and i got f*%*$# over real bad so i pulled the car out of there and got it running my home my self before i got it a basemap and i was told from another tuner not the one i'm going with but not to worry about a basemap just run stock injectors get a few miles on the car and then get it tuned. I want to rip the vfac out but at the moment theres no base map ? should i bring it somewere and get a base map or considering i alredy put some miles on it just keep it the way it is and put a few more miles on than get it tuned ? and as for as the check engine light yes my knock sensor clip was broken so the knock sensor wasent hooked up i'm fixing it this weekend ? what is the cause of the idle and the over heating the lack of a base map
Old 11-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you have a socketed ecu with no chip in it?
Old 11-28-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i believe the chip is in there i open the ecu and i can see the chip solderd in the ecu but i'm not sure what map is being used the shop the the ecu chipping
Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres got to be some map becuase the car runs and drives alomst like stock except being a little rich and the over heating / high idle. i just dont know what or how to tell. unless i just go and get it tuned ?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like thr shop left the car a mess or you did something wrong. can you locate a stock ecu and a set of stock injectors?

the ship should not be soldered into the board, it should have a socket that the chip presses into or a quick release so you can remove it to burn a new map to it.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not that big on ecu's and chipping but thats what i mean to say i remeber i was waiting for them to get the right socket i didn't mean to say it was actually solder directly into the ecu i juat really want to get the car tuned and get the vfac out of there but it's over heating which is prob gonna make it hard to get it tuned or if i get it tuned will be what i need ? i'm new to this whole turbo civic thing and except for the check enigne light which should be from the knock sensor problem that should be fixed this weekend and the over heating the car runs good and drive pretty good and has no leaks no nothing
Old 11-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can just guess thats the only reason its throwing a code. i dont even think an unhooked knock sensor would cause limp mode. just pull the codes and see what it says.