Notices

Open down pipe wideband location

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Open down pipe wideband location

I am installing my turbo kit and I want to know where to mount my wideband o2 sensor since I have an open down pipe right now. How far from the end of the pipe should it be? I'm worried about condensation. I read 36" from the turbo and I know the angle it should be installed at. Are there rules regarding how far from the end of the pipe my wide band o2 should be? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Open down pipe wideband location

open downpipe implies it will be a trailer-queen, in which case you just want it to be at least 6 inches from the end of the pipe. just know that it will not read accurately for crap at part throttle.

if it's a street car, don't install the wideband; get a full exhaust first, then find a suitable location.

pretty much anywhere you put the sensor when running an open downpipe will read inaccurately at part throttle because it's capable of sucking fresh air back up into the pipe with each exhaust pulse.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18" from the end of the exhaust will be sufficient.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yea it has to be more than 12" because reversion will draw outside air up the downpipe and skew afr readings

open downpipe cars don't have to trailer queens.... I daily drove mine :p
Old 10-27-2013, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
open downpipe implies it will be a trailer-queen, in which case you just want it to be at least 6 inches from the end of the pipe. just know that it will not read accurately for crap at part throttle.

if it's a street car, don't install the wideband; get a full exhaust first, then find a suitable location.

pretty much anywhere you put the sensor when running an open downpipe will read inaccurately at part throttle because it's capable of sucking fresh air back up into the pipe with each exhaust pulse.
I posted this because as the OP stated, it should be 36" or more after the turbo, and as Natural Aspirations stated, should be at least 18" from the end of the pipe. but to do this would require a downpipe that is at least 4 1/2 feet long. and I doubt it's that long. so my post stands as is
Old 10-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was just wanting to know how far from the end of the pipe I needed to be. My down pipe has a bung and then the flex pipe after it already. I just haven't made my mind up on a cat back system and I don't have anyone local that does SS welding really. It is my DD though. The 36" was from some AEM post I read somewhere. I'll read my wide and instructions again though. 18" from the end was really what I was looking for.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Generally you want it a minimum of 18" from the turbine on a turbo car. Given that your open down pipe should at least end behind the oil pan and will give you plenty of space after the turbine abd before the end of the pipe to install correctly. Also install it with an angle up no sideways or below that point of the sensor will get damaged from moisture
Old 10-27-2013, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Generally you want it a minimum of 18" from the turbine on a turbo car. Given that your open down pipe should at least end behind the oil pan and will give you plenty of space after the turbine abd before the end of the pipe to install correctly. Also install it with an angle up no sideways or below that point of the sensor will get damaged from moisture
yeah at least 18". years ago i had a wideband in a spare bung maybe 10-12" from the turbo and the sensor fried within a few hundred miles
Old 10-27-2013, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

typically, the area where the stock o2 is usually located is about perfect. not too hot, not too cold.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, definitely makes sense to me. I've heard 10 or 2 o-clock is the desired position. Is straight up and down bad?

Originally Posted by blackeg
yeah at least 18". years ago i had a wideband in a spare bung maybe 10-12" from the turbo and the sensor fried within a few hundred miles
That's definitely something I would like to avoid. Even more since the richness of a turbo set up will decrease the lifespan of the sensor.

typically, the area where the stock o2 is usually located is about perfect. not too hot, not too cold.
Doubt my stock O2 sensor location will work. Since it is the OBD0 B16A exhaust manifold haha. Literally 4 inches from the block. But I think I know the general area you are talking about.

I was going to just give it my best guess from what I had read, but I thought I'd pose the question instead and get a more definite answer. A lot of what I read was on an EVO forum too, so I'm not sure if that would change anything.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:21 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I've had an AEM UEGO (gauge type) with the same sensor now for over 6 years... still reads just fine.. until the clip holding the wiring failed and dropped the plug onto my downpipe, melting both the sensor plug and the harness plug (FML) so now I have to buy a new harness and splice it in and a new sensor... I'll use safety wire next time lol
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-28-2013, 05:24 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not use the high temp O2 bungs and mount the wideband pre turbo in the collector?

Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Muckman
Why not use the high temp O2 bungs and mount the wideband pre turbo in the collector?

Didn't know I could.

I have a cast log manifold though, since my goal was fairly low HP wise, and I don't think I can really get a good spot on my runners. The wastegate takes up a good portion of my pre-turbo space.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is probably 1' behind the turbo. Works like a champ.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I posted this because as the OP stated, it should be 36" or more after the turbo, and as Natural Aspirations stated, should be at least 18" from the end of the pipe. but to do this would require a downpipe that is at least 4 1/2 feet long. and I doubt it's that long. so my post stands as is
I totally understand, as every setup is different.

If you measure a typical ramhorn manifold's downpipe length from flange to flange (if it's designed to stop where the OEM manifold/cat joint was) then the downpipe should be almost 4ft long. The issue is the bends immediately off the turbo to get it under the oil pan, then you only have about 3ft of usable pipe to place a sensor, so I see where you're coming from

And while this isn't totally relevant, since we're on the topic of o2 sensor placement, the sr20det's factory o2 sensor is on the turbo elbow less than 6" from the turbo outlet and they are hard sensors to kill lol, not sure if Nissan engineered a special sensor to handle EGTs that high or what but it works.... I put my wideband sensor on my sr on the downpipe after the bend, didn't want to risk cooking it.

Oh and if anyone knows? with AEMs finned "high temp" o2 sensor bung, when having the part the bung is on ceramic coated, can you coat the bung or does it have to remain bare metal?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
Mine is probably 1' behind the turbo. Works like a champ.
You are talking Pre-turbo, correct? I think I should be able to get it down stream from the turbo far enough but still 18" from the end of my system without a problem.

Is there an issue with mounting my wideband straight up and down at the 12-o-clock position?
Old 10-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
You are talking Pre-turbo, correct? I think I should be able to get it down stream from the turbo far enough but still 18" from the end of my system without a problem.

Is there an issue with mounting my wideband straight up and down at the 12-o-clock position?
Mine is 1' from the turbo on the down pipe in the 12 o'clock position. Its been there since April and still looks new. T1 unscrewed my wideband sensor and installed theirs in the same bung when they tuned my car. They thought the placement was great.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine is 1' from the turbo on the down pipe in the 12 o'clock position. Its been there since April and still looks new. T1 unscrewed my wideband sensor and installed theirs in the same bung when they tuned my car. They thought the placement was great.
Dang. I know the OBD0 B16A header has the O2 sensor very close to the block. I'm not sure how much higher the EGTs on a turbo are. Maybe your sensor is made for the temps? I don't see the exhaust temp lowering a whole lot in that 18" but it may be enough to give the sensor a longer life.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, just in case someone wants to chime in on this. I don't plan on making a thread for it, but has anyone used flex piping for the wastegate to vent it down below the car? I have the turbo so the air filter is on the driver side, passenger side downpipe. It is on a log manifold. The wastegate flange is pretty much centered on the manifold. I put my wategate on it just for testing and I am thinking of how/where to route the wastegate. I have a downpipe that doesn't have a spot for the wastegate exhaust to enter it. I was thinking I should be able to take some sort of piping and just route it under the car and not have to worry about it since the wastegate will only be open when I'm moving.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just keep in mind the air exiting your waste gate can be 1400 degrees.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would run flex pipe for a dump tube just get a dump tube made.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just keep in mind the air exiting your waste gate can be 1400 degrees.
Alright, noted. I've used flex pipe on my VW's exhaust before. And it was air cooled, got hot enough to turn the steel stinger on it red. So I'll definitely look into the temperature rating on the pipe if I have to use flex pipe just to get the waste gate vented away from my hood.

Any recommendations on an EGT sensor and gauge? I obviously started by looking at eBay and googling, but I can't really find any good recommendations. No one uses them or something.

I would run flex pipe for a dump tube just get a dump tube made.
This confuses me. Should that be a would not run? Or is it okay, but soon after get a dump tube made?
Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would NOT run flex pipe for a dump tube just get a dump tube made.
fixed
Old 10-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lsturbo33
fixed
Gotcha. I think I'll take my mani, wastegate and turbo to the shop and bring a flange. Then they can just weld it up to clear, right? There isn't anything special about it, is there?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Gotcha. I think I'll take my mani, wastegate and turbo to the shop and bring a flange. Then they can just weld it up to clear, right? There isn't anything special about it, is there?
Keep the tube as short as possible and just make sure the hot air isn't going to torch a vital part. The weight of the dump tube often leads to the wastegate flange breaking off over time. I welded a little loop on the dumptube that I hooked a spring to, to help support the weight.

Quick Reply: Open down pipe wideband location