Notices

is it ok to break in with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is it ok to break in with turbo?

is it ok to break in a newly built motor with an untuned turbo setup? or should i break in the motor and then add the turbo afterwards?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:38 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: is it ok to break in with turbo? (rice a roni)

i would worry about the A/F ratio before i would worry about turbo n/a.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to break in with turbo? (boostedcivicsir)

?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was going to run my new engine (all new head/bottom end) turbo but my manifold is still 5 weeks out so I am throwing in my stock injectors/computer and I am going to run it N/A for a couple thousand miles just to make sure everything is ok before I throw 20lb of boost into it. I guess it really does not make a difference because alot of cars come from the factory turbo, as long as you dont thrash for a coule hundred miles I wouldnt worry about it. Just drive it normally (i know its hard) for a couple hundred miles and let the ring seat properly etc.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:29 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice a roni &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if it is too fat, you will hurt the rings. trust your tuner that made the base map.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to break in with turbo? (boostedcivicsir)

No need to break it in. Start it up to make sure everything is ok (no cel, leaks etc....) and then have it tuned.

A good point was made in a previous post "do you think factory turbo cars are broken in n/a?"

This was just covered recently try searching.

Old 03-27-2006, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to break in with turbo? (simike)

ok i get what you guys are saying...so whats a good break in method? i heard people say that you should beat the **** out of it for like how ever many minutes because all you need to do is seat the bearings and the rings. some people say to drive it normal and keep the rpms under 3000 until your first oil change at like 2000 miles. oh yeah and again i was going to run vafc for a bit cause im going to use a 14b turbo. just looking for 1 bar of boost, i think i can do it.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll say it again......... No need to break it in.........
Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No need to break it in. Start it up to make sure everything is ok (no cel, leaks etc....) and then have it tuned.

A good point was made in a previous post "do you think factory turbo cars are broken in n/a?"

</TD></TR></TABLE>

do alot of factory cars T oil off the pressure switch or run unfiltered oil to the turbo?
this isnt a factory built motor so who cares what oem turbo cars do...this isnt one of them

I like to break my motors in without the turbo kit and with stock injectors and a 02 sensor. Seat the rings check the compresion do a leakdown test and then put the turbo kit on... its a matter of opinion but i like to be safe with an expensive setup rather then listening to some jerkoff on honda tech telling me to search
Old 03-27-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to break in with turbo? (D@nnY)

Install the turbo setup and everything, but run stock injectors and ECU and take the wastegate spring out so there's no boost.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with D@nnY, you have to at least give the motor a little time to set properly, just dont go and thrash it like someone else just said. Yes they do just race like that in Nascar and like Top Fuel drag racing but those motors are regularly disassembled and rebuilt and have no life expectancy. After you do you first oil change, perform the leakdown test and if I was you I would re-torque the head which is what I am also going to do.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:02 AM

i understand that whole logic of "if its gonna break its gonna break" no need to break it in, keep an eye on the af's...

i decided to break my motor in on the stock ecu with stock injectors, na. i wanted to make sure it was perfect before i put the turbo on, wich totally complicates trouble shooting problems...

break it in na...
Old 03-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (planeman01)

ok, i'll just take the safe side for now. i dont want to blow my build whenever im done with it...it would just totally blow my hopes down the drain and i'd probably quit doing **** with my car.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont see a problem getting on the car with a new motor and I do think it helps seat the rings...getting on the car in one gear and beating on it is a different thing

on cars with iron sleeves a magnetic oil drain plug helps ....it catches the very fine metal
Old 03-27-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The best way to break in a new motor is to have a wideband and tuner there when you start it up. Take it out and seat the rings while getting a tune, doesn't get much better than that. This has been covered and it just seems pretty obvious to me, *shrug*
Old 03-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

how many people have a wideband and tuner accessable to them at the exact time they need their car running?

if the car has a fresh motor and has never been started it may have problems
leaks rattles loose bolts or any type of problem....

you think any tuner wants to sit there the first time you start the car and wait for you to fix bugs?

Old 03-27-2006, 01:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No need to break it in. Start it up to make sure everything is ok (no cel, leaks etc....) and then have it tuned.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what earls method was. Wonder how good it would seal the rings that way. I don't exactly know what method to use to break my motor in next month. Going to be a 400+whp setup and thats the only thing that worries me is the break in.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to break in with turbo? (B18 CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18 CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats what earls method was. Wonder how good it would seal the rings that way. I don't exactly know what method to use to break my motor in next month. Going to be a 400+whp setup and thats the only thing that worries me is the break in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I don't know how to do something I research it until I get a satisfactory answer. I know Earl, Jeff Evans (Jeff tuned my car), and several other reputable builders/tuners recommended that break-in method when I asked them. If they didn't tell me directly I found their response on the subject from doing a search.

My car is a street car running on pump gas. I don't daily drive it for several reason's, but I could. It made 385whp on the first tune and when I fix the boost creep problems I will have it re-tuned in April and plan to make 400+ to the wheels.

This was my method and it worked for me. I am just trying to help a fellow HT member. To each their own I guess. I wouldn't trust the most reputable people on HT either..............
Old 03-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do alot of factory cars T oil off the pressure switch or run unfiltered oil to the turbo?
this isnt a factory built motor so who cares what oem turbo cars do...this isnt one of them

I like to break my motors in without the turbo kit and with stock injectors and a 02 sensor. Seat the rings check the compresion do a leakdown test and then put the turbo kit on... its a matter of opinion but i like to be safe with an expensive setup rather then listening to some jerkoff on honda tech telling me to search </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I missed this the first time around!!!! Who's the Jerkoff? Real mature buddy!!! Gotta love HT.........
Old 03-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how many people have a wideband and tuner accessable to them at the exact time they need their car running?

if the car has a fresh motor and has never been started it may have problems
leaks rattles loose bolts or any type of problem....

you think any tuner wants to sit there the first time you start the car and wait for you to fix bugs? </TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO if you have the money to build a motor you should get yourself a $200 wideband and a $80 chip burner and get idle and maybe a little part throttle nailed down yourself. I knew how to tune my car before I built my first motor...
Old 03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry I missed this the first time around!!!! Who's the Jerkoff? Real mature buddy!!! Gotta love HT......... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was refering to you being the typical honda tech jerk off who probably didnt build his motor ,didnt tune his car, didnt do any of his own work, and is giving advice with a know it all attitude .... any other questions?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

IMO if you have the money to build a motor you should get yourself a $200 wideband and a $80 chip burner and get idle and maybe a little part throttle nailed down yourself. I knew how to tune my car before I built my first motor...</TD></TR></TABLE>

the wideband is a good idea but they are more like 300$ and not alot of people want to tune their own cars......

its more reasonable to run the car on stock injectors work out all the bugs and switch them out when its time to tune the car.....
Old 03-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was refering to you being the typical honda tech jerk off who probably didnt build his motor ,didnt tune his car, didnt do any of his own work, and is giving advice with a know it all attitude .... any other questions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That guy told him to take the car straight to a tuner, and you're telling him that's not safe?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll say it again......... No need to break it in.........</TD></TR></TABLE>

refering to this comment the second time it was insisted after the guy asked another question....

and the comment about factory turbo cars not needing to be broken in withoput the turbo which has nothing to do with a turbo honda

then followed by the typical GO SEARCH comment...
Old 03-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is it ok to break in with turbo? (nonvtecD)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That guy told him to take the car straight to a tuner, and you're telling him that's not safe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

hes using a VAFC to tune the car......I would not break it in either way with a vafc tune done by god himself

Quick Reply: is it ok to break in with turbo?