Notices

oil on underside of hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil on underside of hood

A while back I noticed a few little spots of oil (spray) un the underside of my hood rite above the valve cover. It's centralized above the cam gears. Well lastnight I noticed it a little more, it seems to have gotten worse. It now covers a spot about the size of your fist. This is from making 3 passes. I wiped the hood before I made the runs. Anybody have any idea of where I should start? I have briefly looked around and cant find where it's coming from. The top of the valve cover has oil on it too.
I havent modified the valve cover in any way, cam gears are NOT exposed, the cover is stock.
Anybody else run into this problem? Or have idea's of what would cause it?
The only excessive pressure ( ) present is from the turbo.
Thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 07:38 PM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (b16ahybrid)

Curious what this could be. The first thing I would check is the oil feed line. Maybe there's a pin hole leak in the line by that area, that only leaks once the pressure gets to a certain amount in the upper rpms.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (sporkcrx)

I have the same problem, I found it right under my hood above the cam gears..
Old 06-05-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Curious what this could be. The first thing I would check is the oil feed line. Maybe there's a pin hole leak in the line by that area, that only leaks once the pressure gets to a certain amount in the upper rpms.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what I'm thinking.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (90integra05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90integra05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same problem, I found it right under my hood above the cam gears.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, how long has your leaked? has it gotten worse?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:53 PM

The oil is clean
Old 06-06-2004, 05:56 AM

I don't think its the oil feed line, as I had this before I went turbo....
Old 06-06-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (Smooth-GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Smooth-GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think its the oil feed line, as I had this before I went turbo....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you ever find the cause?
Old 06-06-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

probably a cam or crank seal, oil is seeping out and getting on the belts and pulleys, although an oil pan leaking bad enough could get on the back side of the crank pulley.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">probably a cam or crank seal, oil is seeping out and getting on the belts and pulleys, although an oil pan leaking bad enough could get on the back side of the crank pulley.</TD></TR></TABLE>
the cam gears are covered, and the crank pully may be a far stretch. the spary isn't very wide so it's got to be close. if it ws coming fromthe crank pulley i would think the spray would be alot wider or more spread out.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:25 AM

is it possible its coming out of the dipstick???

Landon
Old 06-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil on underside of hood (boosted_dc2)

are you running the PCV valve? if so maybe it is coming out of the black box. Is there any smoke at all you see.

Make sure the car is full of oil and let it idle if you dont' see anything rev the motor to put a little load on it. Or go buy the die kit at your local auto parts store, clean everything and let it idle to see where it is coming out of hope some of this helps
Old 06-07-2004, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

could be your cam seals or the 2 plugs that go to the rocker arm shafts on that side of the head.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (99blackcivicSi)

check your front main seal, maybe its dripping on pulley and getting flung on to the hood.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (dash)

I found oil on the same side seeping (a little bit) out of my head.. I need to replace the gasket .. Although, I cleaned the head with a rag and started repeatedly checking it and didn't see anymore leaks.. I'm not gonna take a chance though.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you running the PCV valve? if so maybe it is coming out of the black box. Is there any smoke at all you see.

Make sure the car is full of oil and let it idle if you dont' see anything rev the motor to put a little load on it. Or go buy the die kit at your local auto parts store, clean everything and let it idle to see where it is coming out of hope some of this helps</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah i'm running a pcv valve, it's go about 2k miles on it. I may have to get that dye to find it, thanks for the advice
Old 06-07-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (B18C1CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could be your cam seals or the 2 plugs that go to the rocker arm shafts on that side of the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cam seals were replaced not to long ago,
2 plugs that go into the rocker arm shafts, tell me more.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:10 PM

Maybe the breather you have on the valve cover or your spark plugs are not tightened enough.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:13 PM

No I never investigated the cause, its not much, not enough for it to drip...
Old 06-07-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (Boofster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boofster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe the breather you have on the valve cover or your spark plugs are not tightened enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the breather (port on the valve cover) has a hose connected to it that went to my intake pre-turbo. I am not running a intake now (just filter on the turbo) so the hose goes nowhere.
There shouldn't be any oil coming from my spark plugs, if so I have serious problems
Old 06-07-2004, 08:38 PM

anybody else?
Old 06-08-2004, 01:21 AM

Cam seal if not the feed is what I would suspect. Are you certain its motor oil? Either way, inspect that timing belt, last thing you want is timing belt rot. I had power steering fluid leaking once, rotted the belt and next thing you know a piston and valve became too close of friends....
Old 06-08-2004, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the plugs let you remove the rocker arm shafts out of the head, there are 2 on the timing belt side and 1 on the dizz side, they have crush washers on them and need to be tightend to i think 42ftlbs check them maybe there not tight or they need new washers , i hope this helps you out some, and someone told me that a bad headgasket will leak coolant and not oil i dont know for shure but maybe some one else does.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:24 AM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (B18C1CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the plugs let you remove the rocker arm shafts out of the head, there are 2 on the timing belt side and 1 on the dizz side, they have crush washers on them and need to be tightend to i think 42ftlbs check them maybe there not tight or they need new washers , i hope this helps you out some, and someone told me that a bad headgasket will leak coolant and not oil i dont know for shure but maybe some one else does.</TD></TR></TABLE>
eah that does help, thanks a lot. I'll go check it later.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: oil on underside of hood (Jeff_Middletown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jeff_Middletown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cam seal if not the feed is what I would suspect. Are you certain its motor oil? Either way, inspect that timing belt, last thing you want is timing belt rot. I had power steering fluid leaking once, rotted the belt and next thing you know a piston and valve became too close of friends....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah the only other fluid that I'm running is water. well 95%water 5% water wetter.

Quick Reply: oil on underside of hood