Notices

Oil on spark plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on spark plugs??

I was changing my spark plugs the other day and the old ones had oil on them. What does this mean?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil on spark plugs?? (elements1.8t)

You need one of these:
http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

That oil will turn to carbon on your pistons and around your head also.

The kit is inexpensive, the install is quite intuitive, and the results are worthwhile.

Oops, I almost forgot the explanation.

On top of your valve cover there is an "L" shaped plastic valve that connects through a hose to the Intake Manifold plenum. This is the PCV valve.
When pressure in the crank-case builds up to a certain pressure, the pcv valve allows air to escape the crank-case. (thus relieving the pressure)
This air includes evaporated oil, or oil vapors. Due to emissions laws, the system must remain closed, so the evacuated air (and oil vapors) go into the intake manifold. These oil vapors collect in the combustion area and create carbon buildups, and as you have seen, oil deposits.

The breather kit goes in between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. The silver "catch-can" traps the oil vapors and minimizes oil/carbon in the combustion area.
To maintain a closed system, the oil caught in the can is drained back into the engine. You can install a fitting (included in the kit) on the back of your block, to drain the oil back into the engine galleys. If you prefer, you can optionally run a hose to a drain **** which you can drain as needed. (Every 3rd oil change usually)

hope this helps,
Me

[Modified by WOTTEG, 10:08 AM 2/19/2002]
Old 07-10-2003, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Oil on spark plugs?? (WOTTEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WOTTEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need one of these:
http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

That oil will turn to carbon on your pistons and around your head also.

The kit is inexpensive, the install is quite intuitive, and the results are worthwhile.

Oops, I almost forgot the explanation.

On top of your valve cover there is an "L" shaped plastic valve that connects through a hose to the Intake Manifold plenum. This is the PCV valve.
When pressure in the crank-case builds up to a certain pressure, the pcv valve allows air to escape the crank-case. (thus relieving the pressure)
This air includes evaporated oil, or oil vapors. Due to emissions laws, the system must remain closed, so the evacuated air (and oil vapors) go into the intake manifold. These oil vapors collect in the combustion area and create carbon buildups, and as you have seen, oil deposits.

The breather kit goes in between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. The silver "catch-can" traps the oil vapors and minimizes oil/carbon in the combustion area.
To maintain a closed system, the oil caught in the can is drained back into the engine. You can install a fitting (included in the kit) on the back of your block, to drain the oil back into the engine galleys. If you prefer, you can optionally run a hose to a drain **** which you can drain as needed. (Every 3rd oil change usually)

hope this helps,
Me

[Modified by WOTTEG, 10:08 AM 2/19/2002]</TD></TR></TABLE>

so this catch can will help right? cause i have the problem wihich you explain. my car keeps stalling when i let go off the gas coming to stop, so i check plugs and plug # 4 were oil wet 1,2,3 burn ok. i took the engine apart found what you have eplained carbon build up on top of pistons three pistons were really bad one was bad but ok. so i'll try to get a new pcv valve and purchase me a catch can and see what happens.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Oil on spark plugs?? (luckypon7)

if its in your sparkplugs... you need new o ring seals for the valve cover...i dont see whats the catch can gotta do with sparkplugs getting oil on them
Old 07-10-2003, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Oil on spark plugs?? (WOTTEG)

this is when oil is on the part of the plug that is in the combustion chamber, the threaded and spark part right not the white end that goes into the wires. right? making sure. cause your the only one i found that discribe exactly what i saw when i took the engine apart.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re: Oil on spark plugs?? (romeo619romeo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by romeo619romeo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if its in your sparkplugs... you need new o ring seals for the valve cover...i dont see whats the catch can gotta do with sparkplugs getting oil on them</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea but the oil is on the under side in the combustion chamber not the top side, and my o rings are fine, no oil on the walls where plugs go in showing it came from top side.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Oil on spark plugs?? (luckypon7)

hsoulda made it clear the first time
Old 07-10-2003, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Oil on spark plugs?? (romeo619romeo)

sorry, my bad