Notices

Oil Feed Issues Borg s366

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Feed Issues Borg s366

I have a topmounted s366 that oil is puddling up in the turbos intake and looks to be blowing out the tial bov. I have a 4an/10an B&R oil line kit.

Any suggestions? I wish I would have went with a 3an line, I think it would fix the issue. Obviously the oil pressure at the turbo is too high, I'd hate to put a oil restrictor on it..

Everything is brand new less than 20 miles on it and have put it up till I fix this problem along with a few others.

Thank you for your business and time,
dk
Old 07-28-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Oil Feed Issues Borg s366

You'll need to send pictures of your oil return setup. the sizes are correct, and that is tried and true for the other units, but the return size is the first step, if it is still backing up oil because of the way it is configured, you'll have the same issue.

There's more to oil issues than simply feed.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I will get some pics of my oil return.

I kind of ruled out the oil return thinking I had set it up correctly as its setup very similar to my past topmounted setups.

Its a full race pro am manifold comes out of the turbo with a 45 degree fitting then smoothly goes down to a 45 degree fitting high into the pan never going up hill so to speak.

I wonder if the first 45 degree fitting is causing the problem? I did this trying to keep the braided nylon hose away from the hot manifold.

Thank you for your time,
dk
Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for the poor quality pics and the temp worm gear clamps.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

The line path itself looks good. I can't tell on this screen, but coming off the turbo is that a straight fitting? is that first line bend smooth? You said its a 45 deg fitting, but looks straight. If it is a straight a 1/2" to 10an would be more suitable. It would point the line to the side away from the mani more and make for a "smoother" first bend in the line. You can also open up the holes in the fittings. I have seen some an fittings where the actual "holes" in the fittings are undersized.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your reply,

That first bend is a 1/2" to 10an 45 degree fitting pointing the line towards the firewall and away from the hot mani, then a strait 10 an fitting, strait line then 45 degree an fitting in the pan.

It would be great if I removed that 1/2" to 10an 45 degree fitting and it fixed my issue but it would be a task replacing it with a strait fitting and might risk melting the line. I'll try it however, I might have to re clock the turbo but we'll see.

Thanks
dk
Old 07-28-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Autoworks
The line path itself looks good. I can't tell on this screen, but coming off the turbo is that a straight fitting? is that first line bend smooth? You said its a 45 deg fitting, but looks straight. If it is a straight a 1/2" to 10an would be more suitable. It would point the line to the side away from the mani more and make for a "smoother" first bend in the line. You can also open up the holes in the fittings. I have seen some an fittings where the actual "holes" in the fittings are undersized.
That was about what I was thinking from what I can see. There are a lot of fittings in which the holes are undersized. You may also need to clock the cartridge of the turbo to be more directly downward. It looks as though it is at an angle of about 15-20 degrees at this point. Not a good idea.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks for the input and help guys, As soon as I can get it back to my shop I will ensure the center housing is properly clocked, remove one 45 and replace it with a strait and also check inside diameter of all the fittings.

I'll keep this thread posted on how it works out.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:33 PM

mine is the same way and no oil problems, but i have a an3 feed.

oh and its a b&r kit props to brian...

Last edited by honda_junk; 07-28-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: forgot information
Old 07-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes mines coming out of the turbo just like yours, same style fittings and all. I've done it this way a few times. What kind of turbo are you running?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM

im using a precision pt turbo, its a little different but its not leaking oil. you dont need to change the fittings on the return imo. i think i would start with an an3 feed line, and if im not mistaken the restrictor fittings are for ball bearing turbos.
do you have a oil catch can?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok guys, I'm still having this issue and have made some changes:

I straitened up the housing perfectly strait, removed the 45 degree fitting, the line goes strait down slight bend and proper fall right down to a smooth 45 degree fitting into the pan. I don't think it can get any better than that.

I also checked all of the inside diameters of the fittings and hose, everything checked out ok, nice quality fittings.

What do I do? Honestly, whats left, 3an or call up borg warner? I do NOT want to void this warranty its brand new and has never created any boost what so ever.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:22 PM

At this point, try the -3AN. Borg-warner is not going to have any further suggestions, I'll tell ya that.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks buddy,

I wonder if the GE oil squirter block off plugs caused any added pressure at that port?
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Boosted_B_Series
Thanks buddy,

I wonder if the GE oil squirter block off plugs caused any added pressure at that port?
No. It wouldn't add that much pressure to cause the issues you're having. that amount of pressure is very small indeed
Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks,

I made a call to borg, there saying if it was a oil feed/return issue it would be blowing oil out of the exhaust side which its not, just the compressor side. So there saying its a problem with the turbo, which sucks meaning my 15k investment is going to be down for god knows how long over a warranty claim.

What there saying makes sense, and I really don't know but it sure seems like if I put a 3an on it the problem would go away. It sucks because I gave away 2 3an feed lines and don't have one to test it. It would also suck to send them a turbo after it was oil starved. I just have a hard time believing that somethings wrong with this turbo and even if there is I'm sure I'll be the one end of paying for it in the end.

I also asked them well, what psi should the turbo see? He said he has used them from 25psi-100psi no problems.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It will be interesting to see how the warranty service is from BW. If it is really good, then that will be one major advantage to BW over Precision from the horror stories on here about Precision. Just makes me glad I haven't had any problems with my SC61. I think maybe a BW 366 is looking like more and more the right turbo if I ever need to upgrade!
Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

i have an extra 3an feed line to help you. just do a COD of some type. i'll send it to you. just send it back.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even though I called borg and they wanted it back, I didn't send it, I figured hey I got a bunch of time to try things on this one before my warranty expires and I refused to believe it was a problem with the turbo.

I went to build boost and seen little smoke, so actually it made me happy going off what borg says it could be an oil drain issue as oil is getting in both housings now. I just hadn't built boost before hand.

So I remade the return again, for the 3rd time. I didn't use the pro lite hose this time as it would dev soft spots and didn't keep its shape like the stainless braided hose. This time its as strait up and down as possible and is actually pulled tight and a lot closer to the primary's. The return simply could not be routed any better than this, I've looked at it for hours. So I tried this for a couple days, still didn't seem to fix the oil issue.

Then b&r's fitting shipment arrived with a 3an feed kit and it fixed it, I haven't noticed any oil building up in the inlet now and I have not seen any blue smoke up to 15psi @ 9k. I do still wonder if I would switch to a 12 an drain if I could revert back to the 4an feed but I honestly don't think I'll bother plus it would be a pita. The borg guy said some of his customers run as little as 15 psi base to compensate for oil drain issues and up to 100psi on properly drained setups so I really don't think this 3an will hurt it.

I'm so stoked and this really is one bad *** turbo with shockingly a spool very similar to my old 3082r setup. I have never drove any fwd that's this fast on such little boost.

Thanks Shodan for helping me pick this turbo out.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HybridcivicLS-T
i have an extra 3an feed line to help you. just do a COD of some type. i'll send it to you. just send it back.
Thanks for the offer buddy! The real problem wasn't locating the 3an, it was trying to find the fitting to adapt a 3an feed to the borg's huge oil inlet.

Originally Posted by Tjabo
It will be interesting to see how the warranty service is from BW. If it is really good, then that will be one major advantage to BW over Precision from the horror stories on here about Precision. Just makes me glad I haven't had any problems with my SC61. I think maybe a BW 366 is looking like more and more the right turbo if I ever need to upgrade!
When I called borg, they were more than helpful, quick, to the point and didn't feed me a bunch of bull **** to get me off the phone. They were more than willing to take the turbo back for repairs and I talked to him about my problems with precision and he convinced me that It wouldn't take months but they could have it back out to me in as little as 3 days after it was received. I believed him so much that when he told me honestly that he had never seen one do what I am explaining brand new, but he'd take it back to look it over; I didn't want to waste his or my time sending a perfectly good turbo back.

A few told me that the s366 and small bore would make it a worthless street car. That's such bs, I can shift a bit early, like at 8k instead of 9.5k in first gear to 2nd gear and not bog out of boost on only a 4.8psi wg spring, mind it does creep a bit on that little spring. It builds 6 psi on that spring well before my vtak crossover! Also because of its liner progressive power and tq curve it gets great traction so far. I can't wait to see how its going to do with pwm at the track on about 25psi, I'll get it all dialed out nice.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted on this turbo and if you dont mind, can you send me a PM with your setup. Mine is not done yet and I would like to take a look at yours so I can get a better idea of fitment and last minute parts I will need. I didnt know that you needed an adapter for the -3AN for the feed so there is one more part that could have kept the car down an extra day. Thanks man and good luck with the pwm setup.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im in same boat but not as bad...brand new s363ett and just idle it and lil bit of oil out compressor outlet....but no inlet...im running -4 feed and -12 return...everyone tells me to run -3 feed..but called bullseye and they said turbo needs -4.....and i can look down feed t3 bracket and in the center cartrige theres a drilled hole that lets oil in ...so i figures dosnt matter if u ran a -6 feed..only going to allow the amount of oil that hole diameter is....
Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also got a message from bullseye that it requires ATLEAST -4an line..
good to see everything worked out with -3an tho.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boosted_B_Series
When I called borg, they were more than helpful, quick, to the point and didn't feed me a bunch of bull **** to get me off the phone. They were more than willing to take the turbo back for repairs and I talked to him about my problems with precision and he convinced me that It wouldn't take months but they could have it back out to me in as little as 3 days after it was received. I believed him so much that when he told me honestly that he had never seen one do what I am explaining brand new, but he'd take it back to look it over; I didn't want to waste his or my time sending a perfectly good turbo back.

A few told me that the s366 and small bore would make it a worthless street car. That's such bs, I can shift a bit early, like at 8k instead of 9.5k in first gear to 2nd gear and not bog out of boost on only a 4.8psi wg spring, mind it does creep a bit on that little spring. It builds 6 psi on that spring well before my vtak crossover! Also because of its liner progressive power and tq curve it gets great traction so far. I can't wait to see how its going to do with pwm at the track on about 25psi, I'll get it all dialed out nice.
This is awesome information, and even though I'm really drawn to the new billet wheel stuff from Precision, I'm REALLY drawn to a company with awesome customer service and a truly quality product that holds up.

Thanks for sharing this!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Customer service is as important..if not more important than the product itself. Thumbs up to BW. I will be purchasing a s362 myself here shortly, for my 2.0 LS/V street car.

Quick Reply: Oil Feed Issues Borg s366