Notices

Not your average flywheel question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not your average flywheel question.

Okay normally when people ask questions about flywheels they ask what is too light? These people normally have short geared trannies(ITR, Si, GSR). If these people had..say a 9lbs flywheel I could see how they could be revving to quickly with with the flywheel/tranny and turbo. I was thinking that since I'll be using a LS tranny I'll be better off with the 9lbs flywheel.what do you think? In my mind it's like shortening my gears in a sense(I know it's not shortening the gears really).

Also I could never figure out why people don't stick with the lighter flywheels. If anyone notices lots of high HP cars run light flywheels....RX-7's, Supra's...and I know lots of drag Honda's run them to. I have seen some that have weighed in around 7lbs.

Ton of crap is going through my head....I just can't really put them into words.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Not your average flywheel question. (Too_Smooth)

i would also like to know this..bump for u
Old 02-20-2003, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Not your average flywheel question. (B20TURB0)

Ill take a shot..

I drive a 97SH prelude. I run a 8.5lb Fidanza..

I would consider the Lude tranny fairly short, obviously not as short as an ITR.

My tranny (5th gen, 97up.) is geared slightly taller than 4th gen ludes. So I decided on the flywheel for mainly this reason and also autox. Last reason being weight reduction. 22lb to 8.5 is quite a drop.

The flywheel IMO is the best mechanical upgrade for H-series. It acts more as a B-series (quick revving, very responsive.) But retains its torque.

The disadvantage to the flywheel is the dropping of revs faster. If I don't pay attention while shifting, I can "fall out" of vtec. But its no more difficult than w/the stock flywheel.

The when you notice the flywheel the most, is from a roll..the motor immeidiatley responds and gets into vtec (if Im not already there.) in a hurry. The other time, is when you start out in 1st. you have to give it a lil more gas or you will stall, but it is very easy to get used to.

I assume your main interest is drag racing...which I have heard bad things about lighthened flywheels in this.

For autox I have heard nothing but good.
Hope this helps..

here are some other links to check out.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=383703
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=353479

Mind you, this discussion is all on H-series motors..you may want more advice from B drivers.