Notices

IS this normal? 2 questions inside!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS this normal? 2 questions inside!

First: Ok, word is spreading fast in my town that ive got a turbo in my Si, ive done everything i can to strip all giveaways, took of my "DOHC VTEC", my "Si" etc etc. but word is spreading. you guys know how it goes, so my first fear is theft. lately alot of kids are hearing my BOV and will actually FOLLOW me into my place of destination and ask to see under my hood. depending on my mood or whatever ill show them, but sometimes i wont. i dont know i dont like to show it off, its kinda like taking off your underwear, its personal ya know? i feel that if i show them its like giving them the key to my **** and saying yup i have a turbo now come back tonight to my house and steal it. sometiems they say do you have a turbo? and i say nope, and just walk away when they can plainly see my intercooler, piping and hear my BOV, but i get peace of mind to tell them i dont, is this ok? i mean am i the typical "import driver ******* with the hat on backwards and loud music?" does anyone else feel uncomfortable about showing off your **** to strangers when they are just drooling over your ride? i dont know please help guys

Second question:
I TOTALLY was NOT paying attention to my tach today and bounced off the rev limiter in 3rd gear for about 2 seconds, quickly realized whats going on and hit the clutch and yanked it outta gear......im only boosting 5 psi for the winter till it comes off the road. but it scared me, i saw some puffs of dark smoke in the rear view (Fuel?) it drives fine, but how many more times can i do this before somehting goes wrong? i am RELIGIOUS about staying away from this type of thing, but accidents happen, dustin already assured me im fine and taht he does it time to time, can anyone else help me sleep soundly tonight?

sorry for the rant guys, its been an emotional days, help your fellow turbo owner out!.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:00 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (NYb16)

I feel your pain. Thats why on my location I put texas, rather than the city. Everyone knows what area I live in(DFW) but no one knows where I live for protection. I went to the mall the other day and some kids were pointing at my car and when I get out they ask, "hey you got turbo?" Oh man I felt so unfomfortable.

Because FalconGsr(joe) and I are very worried about theft, he has come up with a security circuit. What he made is a device that reads tumb prints. Once you place your thumb on the reader you then have 5 seconds to start the car. This device will store, I think up to, 5 different thumb prints. As of right now, Joe hasnt completly come out with it, but it was an idea that we thought would help some people. Kinda cool?

art
Old 12-12-2001, 04:27 PM

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (NYb16)

What you feel is exactly how a lot of us feel too. But what can you do. I think the best is not to show nobody nothing. Then they don't know how easy or difficult it would be to put their hands on your staff.
As far as redlining don't worry. That's why their is a cut off, so you don't blow the engine, and if you redline a few times a month (3-4) I think you are ok! I don't think you can blow it up so easy.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (civicturbo)

It's not good to bump rev limiter on a turbo car, because it's fuel cut, but hey, it happens.
Old 12-12-2001, 04:35 PM

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (civicturbo)

you could do one of two things for the intercooler swain tech has a black coating that supposedly makes it exchange heat better or paint it black and I'm sure you quiet that BOV down some how like mabe a filter or have it vent bck in to the piping some how.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (dohcvtec16)

You could fix it so that the BOV is not so loud,...I'm in japan and I get followed from time to time and my car is still NA...I had a guy in another ITR follow me all the way home...I thought he wanted to talk to me but then he took off! WTF..right?

Another time I got followed on the expressway by a guy wearing racing gloves, what appeared to be a racing suit, and a roll cage in a Mazda Eunos Roadster. he followed me off into a rest area, waited for me in his car, and followed me out again. I thought he wanted to race or something, but when I got on the gas, i ditched him...strange people.

[Modified by MiraiZ, 11:29 AM 12/13/2001]
Old 12-12-2001, 05:45 PM

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (MiraiZ)

Get custom car insurance on your ride. There are companies who have this available. Sure it costs a bit more but it's worth the peace of mind.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (SCREWD)

Imagine how I feel after having kids break into my car and try to jack it...

Tom

Unfortunately, insecurity is the price we pay to have our cars go pssh, pssh!
Old 12-12-2001, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (Tomakit)

i recommend a hood lock and a fuel pump cut switch. the hood lock, somewhere i read in a story where a guy who had his ITR equipeed with one prevented it from actually getting stolen, wont let anybody open up your hood even if they break into your car and use the hood popup switch. the fuel pump switch is good too, hide it discretely in your car where no one would care to look.
Old 12-12-2001, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (cyan1de)

oh and btw, that is why i am keeping my car a sleeper. entirely stock exterior (eibach prokit drop, most people dont notice it). deters thiefs and cops. going to paint my IC black when i get it. security is a highly held value to me
Old 12-12-2001, 06:26 PM
New User

Default Re: IS this normal? 2 questions inside! (Tomakit)

check out http://www.powerlock.com

i'm looking into this device after i saw it introduced at a socal meet last weekend. apparently it is dependent on the strength of JB weld or something similar because you have to permanently affix a solenoid to your starter. only prob is maybe for those who have remote start, and its also kinda expensive.