Notices

Noob question about turbos

Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob question about turbos

Hey guys! I have a curious noob question for you. I met a guy recently who has a DA Integra like mine, although his is a 93 ls and mine is a 91. In our conversation, I asked him why his turbo was fluttering, as to my knowledge that supposed to be considered a bad sign. He said that something was custom fit (I believe it was the piping?) and never bothered putting on a blow off valve. When I asked if it was ever a problem, he told me that there hasn't been any major issues, adding that the turbo was rebuilt every 2 years or so

My questions are, is it true that turbo's have to be rebuilt somewhat often? And, what reason would there be not to put a blow off on a turbocharged car?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Noob question about turbos

Originally Posted by punkrocksamurai
Hey guys! I have a curious noob question for you. I met a guy recently who has a DA Integra like mine, although his is a 93 ls and mine is a 91. In our conversation, I asked him why his turbo was fluttering, as to my knowledge that supposed to be considered a bad sign. He said that something was custom fit (I believe it was the piping?) and never bothered putting on a blow off valve. When I asked if it was ever a problem, he told me that there hasn't been any major issues, adding that the turbo was rebuilt every 2 years or so

My questions are, is it true that turbo's have to be rebuilt somewhat often? And, what reason would there be not to put a blow off on a turbocharged car?
Umm. no. this guy is an idiot, and he is the cause of his own failures because the turbo is reversioning (spinning backwards).. causing damage on a regular basis.

Custom fit my a$$. Never listen to this "guy" again.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will do. In that case though, how often are turbos normally rebuilt?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:30 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

a name brand turbo will last up to (from what i understand) 80k-100k before it may need to be rebuilt
but this all depends on your driving.