Notices

Nitrous bottle, when do you refill...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrous bottle, when do you refill...help

Hi all, I am new to nitrous, and I require some assitance...

I had my first bottle filled, and i kept the bottle in my garage, and when i open up the bottle valve, i am only reading around 700psi, even though the bottle was full. I ran a few times, didn't really feel much difference. I know I have to get the bottle press to around 900-1000psi by warming up the bottle.

anyhow, after testing my set up a few times, repairing/fixing all the dam leaks...I also installed a neat special valve to open/close the nitrous inside from inside my car..etc..etc... i now only have around 4 to 5 pounds of nitrous in the bottle. I am still only reading about 700psi, and i tried to warm up the bottle with a paint stripper air heat gun, i did this for about 5 mins, and still, i only have 700psi or so.... how long do i have to heat up the bottle, or is 4-5 pounds not enuff and have to refill it already ??

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-29-2002, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous bottle, when do you refill...help (TyperDude27)

The easiest way to find out if you need a refill is to weigh the bottle. I believe an empty bottle weighs 12-14lbs? Add 10lbs of nitrous and you have a full bottle at around 25lbs. .

You can invest in a bottle warmer. It'll keep the bottle at operating temps (900psi)...esp if you live in a colder climate, or make a few runs during the night.

Also, I always empty the whole bottle before taking it in to get refilled. Just open the valve and let it ALL out. You'll lose whatever's left in the bottle (maybe a pound or less), but at least you'll know it's a FRESH bottle. I find that a small 50shot lasts about 8-10 full 1/4mile runs before it's almost empty.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Nitrous bottle, when do you refill...help (Prelude_RCR)

What kinda Nitrous kit do you have? I have a ZEX kit and I know with NOS to there is a bolt on the top of the handle youuse to turn the bottle on and off make sure the bolt isnt to tight it wont let you open the bottle all the way that my be your problem mabe you are just cracking the bottle open this happend to me, just a though hope this helps......also you need to be real carefull when heating that bottle up the burst vavle can blow be carefull!
Old 04-29-2002, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous bottle, when do you refill...help (TyperDude27)

make sure your remote bottle opener closes the valve totally shut, you should not have any loss or leakage from storage, except if there is a pressure release valve.
always keep your bottle full, 700psi isnt enough pressure to have adecent pass, becarefull when heating the bottle to do it evenly and not in one place all the time, the bottle will weaken in that area, - NOS does not endorse anything but the blanket to heat up the bottle. Go back to Marco to check all the lines, you bought at Magnus right???
Old 04-29-2002, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Nitrous bottle, when do you refill...help (rtype11)

That reminds me of the time I went to this one 1/8th mile track..it was filled with a bunch of old Domestic junkers and beaters. But they sure had alot of nitrous running that night! As I was walking around in the staging lanes, I saw these two red-neck looking guys heating up the nitrous bottle with a TORCH! They didnt have a pressure gauge anywhere near the bottle, and he just kept it there in one spot talking to the other guy. Suffice to say, I walked off as quickly as possible...
Old 04-29-2002, 09:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Nitrous bottle, when do you refill...help (Prelude_RCR)

i really don't forsee a heat gun really heating up the bottle much, if at all. what you need to do is get a bottle warmer with a blottle blanket.