Notices

nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2001, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default nitrous

ok why the hell is everyone calling nitrous N2O when the REAL chemical formula for this compound is NO2 consisting 1 part nitrogen and 2 parts oxygen...doesn't everyone know oxygen is life behind combustion? why would the manufacturers put in 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen? if 2 parts oxygen would be more efficient in giving more oxygen to combine wit the fuel=more power....just wanted to clear this up for all u dumbasses who dont' know ur facts. *ahem pstreck*
Old 08-25-2001, 05:12 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: nitrous (redteg1)

um, ok dood, settle down, don't get a friggin coronary over it. Have a and go get laid or somethin...it's not nearly as bad as rednecks calling it "nitro"
Old 08-25-2001, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: nitrous (VaporTrail)

tru
Old 08-25-2001, 08:08 PM
Trial User

watch out.. the nosss is gonna blow!!!!
Old 08-25-2001, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: nitrous (GSRwBOOST)

oh no!!
Old 08-26-2001, 01:45 AM
New User

From http://www.nosnitrous.com

Holley's Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) Brand
The use of nitrous oxide (N20) as a performance enhancement has been traced back to World War II, where it was employed to give Allied aircraft "emergency" boosts in both airspeed and altitude capabilities. However, with the advent of jet propulsion at the end of WWII, the government's interest in piston-powered aircraft waned. And for the most part, nitrous R&D was shelved
I guess good old Holley and NOS just do not know what they are talking about. Actually my friend, you are wrong. It IS N2O. 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen. Would you like to know why manufacturers only put 1 part oxygen in it? Actually it is pretty damn simple. It is a chemical gas. They are not manufacutring it. It was never intended or produced to be used in cars. It was not used in cars or airplanes right away. It was found to be a good anesthetic. Granted, 2 parts oxygen would be better, however, it is not present.

Would you like more proof?

Nitrous oxide, N2O, is a colorless, almost odorless gas, that was first discovered in 1793 by the English scientist and clergyman Joseph Priestley (who was also famous for being the first to isolate other important gases such as oxygen, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, ammonia, and sulfur dioxide). Priestley made N2O by heating ammonium nitrate in the presence of iron filings, and then passing the gas that came off (NO) through water to remove toxic by-products. The reaction he observed was:

2NO + H20 + Fe N2O + Fe(OH)2
nitrous oxide
n.
A colorless, sweet-tasting gas, N2O, used as a mild anesthetic in dentistry and surgery.

Here is what I want you to do, go to http://www.yahoo.com and do a search on nitrous oxide. I gaurantee that you will find out that Nitrous Oxide is in fact N2O.

just wanted to clear this up for all u dumbasses who dont' know ur facts
Maybe you should get the facts before you call people dumbasses?

Oh yeah, and if you feel the need to put some NO2 in your car, go ahead, it is Nitrogen Dioxide. You can check out all about it on http://www.epa.gov/iaq/no2.html I am sure you can find some use for your car...

[Modified by Big James, 5:49 AM 8/26/2001]

[Modified by Big James, 5:51 AM 8/26/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 08:20 AM
New User

Default Re: nitrous (Big James)

Big James will you marry me j/k, I have been trying to get that same point accross lately, you hit it right on the money. NOS is a company, NO2 is not nitrous, and finally the correct chemical bond is N2O.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:41 AM
New User

Default Re: nitrous (Big James)

ha ha ha....looks like you made someone feel stupid
Old 08-30-2001, 08:48 AM
New User

Default Re: nitrous (newsense)

Ok man, first of all go take chemistry. Because then you would realize that NO2 would not bond together properly!!! Secondly, by oxidizing N2O you get an extra 33% oxygen mixed with the air, and the air outside is way less than 33% oxygen, now go back to highschool take chemistry and get over it.
Old 08-30-2001, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wrong you are my friend....

It is in fact N²O...so before you go blowing up over people...you better know what the hell you are talking about...jackass.

"There is no voodoo involved in nitrous oxide. In effect, using nitrous is no different from using a bigger carburetor, a better manifold, a supercharger, or a turbocharger. Understand that the air you and your engine breathe is made up, at sea level, of 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and just 1% other gases. Nitrous oxide (N2O) is made by simply taking the 2 major components of earthÕs atmosphere (in this case 2 molecules of nitrogen and 1 molecule of oxygen) and attaching them together with a chemical bond. When the nitrous oxide goes into your engine the heat of combustion breaks the chemical bond to provide your engine more oxygen with which to burn fuel. As youÕve read, all race engines operate under the same principles: more air (better breathing, supercharging, turbocharging, or nitrous) plus more fuel in a denser vapor equals more power. "

-ryan

[Modified by riot, 11:54 AM 8/30/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 09:16 AM
New User

Hey redteg1, now I want to hear all about Di-Hydrogen Monoxide! I hear it's all the rage! Bet you'll get some damn good performance boosts from it! It's an extremely powerful substance, and available in great quantities.

(three strikes....YOU'RE OUT!)

[Modified by spyder, 12:17 PM 8/30/2001]
Old 08-30-2001, 09:17 AM
New User

Default Re: nitrous (spyder)

how come little redteg1 has posted a reply.. guess he feels stupid, as he should since he's been arguing this with me for over a week now.. oh well, ignorance is bliss