Notices

new turbo d15b

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
wez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new turbo d15b

i am curently doing alittle research on fitting a turbo to my d15b. Most of the parts i have already bought. heers a list

1. T25 Turbo
2. Internally Gated Actuator
3. Gaskets, Flanges, and Bolts
4. Custom made manifold (so i can keep my air con) - Stainless - bolt on to engine and Turbo
5. Super Dual Chambered Elbow Adapter
6. Stainless Downpipe
7. 50mm blow off valve
8 . oil line and oil return
9. custom made charge pipe
10. apexi vtec controller

i dont currently have a intercooler due to the money situation but i have manage to salvage one from a rover 620 turbo. see the pic below. not sure if this is going to do the job properly. the size of it is 600 mm x 200mm and 120mm deep. Could you please advise if this would suit.

due to the lack of info on the internet im not sure where i stand with the remaining parts i need, with the parts above am i ready to go.

cheers for the help in advance.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

homemadeturbo.com thats a great palce to learn turbo things.. but from what i read you seem to have it all.. except fuel.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:38 AM
wez

Default Re: (sohcvtec1995)

i forgot to add the pic of the intercooler. so here it is
Old 04-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea still not there.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:47 AM
wez

Default Re: (wez)

forgot it again. so here it is.

forgot to ask do i have to fit the vtec controller if i dont get my ecu remapped, its just i had problems with it when i fit it last time. The battery died, so when i started the car it reset the vafc to standard settings and blew my ecu. I would rather not touch the ecu if i can get round it.

ok i give up, i cant seem to get the pic to work.

so heres a link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-62...wItem

thats the same on but in better condition
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you must have wired the afc wrong. also what car? casue if its obd1 and you run a p28 or simialr then you can run chrome which is way better then a afc hack.. also you need injectors..
Old 04-05-2006, 11:09 AM
wez

wasn't sure if i needed injectors or not, but from what ibve seen so far not everyone fits them. as for the afc, it worked fine for months but my battery ran flat which reset the vafc to standard settings and blew up my ecu. had to get it repaired which cost a bomb. what do you mean by chrome?

cheers for you help matey.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
wez

someone help me please!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wasn't sure if i needed injectors or not, but from what ibve seen so far not everyone fits them. as for the afc, it worked fine for months but my battery ran flat which reset the vafc to standard settings and blew up my ecu. had to get it repaired which cost a bomb. what do you mean by chrome?

cheers for you help matey.</TD></TR></TABLE>
chrome is a tunind tool used to tune your obd1 honda. its a reprogramable chip basically. as far as the vafc loseing its memory they dont. even if you unhook it completely it will go back to the last setting befor a power loss..
Old 04-05-2006, 01:14 PM
wez

dont understand then, i have taken it out and not even thought about fitting it again. Must be a coincidence that the battery ran dead and the ecu went bang, i had to jump it off, rawn for about 3 seconds before spluttering and stopping dead. When the elctrician looked at it there was no power coming from the ecu to the distributor or the fuel pump.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could ahve been something else drwing the power. but anyways. yea just check out the homemadeturbo,com site taht i gave you befor. or look in the forced induction. and make sure to search around and do alot of reading..
Old 04-05-2006, 01:21 PM
wez

ok will do, quick question though... do you think the intercooler i have linked to will do the job just until i save enough money to buy a beast of an interccoler.

cheers again for ur help
Old 04-05-2006, 01:34 PM
GarageAlchemist

umm, wow stop what your doing.. if your even thinking abouting buying that itnercooler, some ss autocrome ****, etc.. yea just stop.

johnnyracecar.com intercoolers are 185$ shipped, and the rest.. research and don't buy what you can afford, save.. save and yes save then buy something normal. A really half assed/homemade turbo setup is just ghetto
Old 04-05-2006, 01:39 PM
wez

i live in uk and intercollers dont come cheap over here, an hald decent apexi one is gonna set me back around £800 (probably about 1200 us dollars) i was only asking if it would be ok to fit, i couldn't understand why if it came off a 2 litre turbo if it's only going on a 1.5 turbo. if it cooled taht suffiecently then why not a 1.5. Not only that it also says on homemade turbo site that an intercooler is not necasary but recommended.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
wez

how good is the homemadeturbo.com site. I think i actually get what im doing now.

Basically turbo bolts onto the manifold, ican choose either an internal or external wastegate. The wastegate controls the psi for the boost level. Then the output of the turbo goes through my intercooler then into the inlet manifold. The intercooler cools down the air from the turbo. I can fit the blow off valve onto the charge pipe between the intercooler and inlet manifold. i need to run an oil supply from the oil pan to the turbo then backout and back into the oilpan. Either fit my vafc again to allow more fuel because of the air increase and also upgrade the injectors (450cc injectors would do the job) i could instead get my ecu remapped which would do the job better but costs more.

I think thats it. Gonna do some more reading up but can someone let me know if i've got it all wrong!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:26 PM

i love to see people determined to boost.. it makes me feel all warm inside
Old 04-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need a oil feed which is in the back of the block. then the oil return goes into the oil pan. also a intercooler's efficeny is not detrermined by what car it came off of. the spool up time of the turbo is dependent on the liter of the motor, as well as if its ball bearing, and also what size the exhuast houseing is, and the size of the overalll exhuast.. just make sure to read alot befor you attempt to do any thing to your car.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:45 PM
wez

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">umm, wow stop what your doing.. if your even thinking abouting buying that itnercooler, some ss autocrome ****, etc.. yea just stop.

johnnyracecar.com intercoolers are 185$ shipped, and the rest.. research and don't buy what you can afford, save.. save and yes save then buy something normal. A really half assed/homemade turbo setup is just ghetto</TD></TR></TABLE>

errrrmmmmmm i'm not sure if its me or does this make no sense what so ever "don't buy what you can afford". o.k to start with i thought it said dont buy what you cant afford. does this guy mean go steal it, so what happens when i can afford to buy a better intercooler, do i still not buy it just because i can afford it. wtf.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:50 PM
wez

its not gonna be happening any time soon, still buying the remaining parts and got to transplant my new engine (hopefully within the next month) i have upgraded everything else besides the internals of my engine. New coilover kit, lowered 80mm on the back and 80mm front with 17 inch wheels. Bigger breaks, new clutch and gearbox, new exhaust and an Induction kit. Got 2 d15b engines both grey imports so if the first one goes bang, not to worry can fit te other , gonna try and not blow it up though just to save the hassle
Old 04-05-2006, 03:52 PM
wez

oh by the way sohcvtec1995 your car looks sweet has hell
Old 04-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what he means is to save your money befor you go out and buy the first thing that you see. make sure its of good quaility. thats why i keepp saying to read and research everyhting
Old 04-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the comment on the car.. to bad i got rid of her in favor of 2 wheels..
Old 04-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The intercooler you're thinking about using is fine for your setup. People just think "omgzz turb0 on honda m0t4rrr NEED 15 INCH TALL 8 INCH DEEEP INT3RC00L3Rzzz". Not saying that I wouldn't take a front mount over the one you're talking about, but you'll be fine with that one until you can afford to buy a nicer one.

IMO, You need to get something better than that VAFC. Chrome, Uberdata, Hondata, Neptune, etc. will work much better. Upgrade those injectors, but don't just go out and buy 440's because you see someone else with them. You need to pick a size that is good for your specific needs.

Do some more research, check out the forced induction forum FAQ, you can learn alot there
Old 04-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah im learning about all this as well. like u just need to read like 10min a day about how a turbo works to get everything right. like depending on the turbo manifold u can get alot more tq if u get shorter piping from ur mani, u also have to pay more for the higher octane gases. its pretty much knowing how it all works and then trying to tune it to perfection(atleast thats what i have concluded in a months worth or research)tuning correctly and knowing what u are doing,before i do my turbo though im doing a mini me swap and i would totaly recomend this before u turbo ur civic.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/....html

Quick Reply: new turbo d15b