Notices

New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd

UPDATE Sept 29, 2008: Recent updates to the thread.. I swapped over to a traditional intake manifold + GT40R.. More to read on page 3...

I figured it is about time to "refresh" my Integra when it has been running on the same setup for the past 5 years...lol Aside from having about 80000kms on the Dart block, rest assured that my motor has fully broken in

Setup:

Same old Dart Block, stock bore stock deck
B18C1 crank, stock GSR stroke
10.5:1 CR Wisecos, Eagle Rods
Canadian Cyl. Head Tech Portwork
2001 USDM ITR Cams, TODA cam gears at (-3 IN; -5 EX)
Jenvey 51mm ITB's with custom plenum
Backdoor FMIC setup
Ramhorn Manifold
Turbonetics T67 Turbo; P-trim turbine 0.96 A/R, Ballbearing
3" DP and Exhaust with 3 resonators
Racetronix 1300cc/min Injectors
Walbro Pump
-6AN fuel lines, B&M regulator
AEM Fuel filter
Water/Meth Injection. 300cc/min Jet
MSD Pro-Billet Dizzy
MSD SS Coil
NGK 10's, Surface Discharge Plugs
AEM EMS

Some pics:

Here's the dyno graph:

Link to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl3xoQmY4No

If link does not work, it can be viewed on my website:
http://www.dynamotorsports.ca/news.html

Thanks for reading

UPDATE Sept 29, 2008:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's the dyno... With the GT4088R, the car became even laggier on the dyno.. However, one of the causes of the late spool is from my boost controller.. I had it set way too mild so the boost was a really slow climb.

Link to video with GT40R!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzfjJ31QPgQ

Low boost dyno, GT4088R with custom IM (single TB) (17 PSI):

High boost dyno, GT4088R with custom IM (single TB) (26 PSI)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by Tony the Tiger at 6:53 AM 9/29/2008
Old 08-17-2008, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how big is your pistons?
it s a very nice setup
-we have a simular setup but on methanol
makes 403whp on 11psi precision t4 pt67
Old 08-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (Tony the Tiger)

interesting looking wastegate you got there
Old 08-17-2008, 04:06 AM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (non-VTEC)

man the graph is puuurrrrtttyyyyy never falls torque is solid thoughout the RPM range
Old 08-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (HybridcivicLS-T)

Very nice, how does it feel to go from ultra-responsive to T4 lag? Also if you dont mind me asking who makes that VC? Will you go into some detail about your lack of a wastegate and how that is all setup?
Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very nice, how does it feel to go from ultra-responsive to T4 lag? Also if you dont mind me asking who makes that VC? Will you go into some detail about your lack of a wastegate and how that is all setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah where's the wastegate?
Old 08-17-2008, 04:01 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Bah.. Awww Tony, I miss the last setup..
Old 08-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (pwrofdrm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pwrofdrm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah where's the wastegate? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no wastegate....he uses full spool all the time.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (non-VTEC)

man that powerband is crappy. I wonder what would happen if you ditched those ITB's and got a real manifold.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (narfdanarf)

So...do you like it better than the (now weaker) Camry? Its not often anyone gets to hear an honest opinion about a boosted V6 vs a boosted inline-4 at close to the same HP level (both in FWD form).

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how does it feel to go from ultra-responsive to T4 lag?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto. Do you like the power, or the response? I assume its still a street car...?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">=Also if you dont mind me asking who makes that VC? </TD></TR></TABLE>

looks like a mugen copy with the mugen ground off

if its a real mugen I apologize but I dont know anyone baller enough to hack up a $1200 valve cover
Old 08-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

Originally Posted by rev-speed
how big is your pistons?
it s a very nice setup
-we have a simular setup but on methanol
makes 403whp on 11psi precision t4 pt67
Pistons are 81.5mm bore

Originally Posted by HybridcivicLS-T
man the graph is puuurrrrtttyyyyy never falls torque is solid thoughout the RPM range
Yup, the powerband was purposely tuned and shaped that way... Naturally, the ITR cams and my engine/head setup cannot hold torque up to 9200RPM, but I have tuned it so it can make power up to redline. The cam gear settings show that, and also a rising boost curve as well; some low-end and midrange was sacrificed in order to do so. It isn't a concern for me because the gearing is short enough, and I much rather rev the car out instead of upshifting early due to falling power up top. I did the same with my old GT2871R setup, and always loved a car that pulls all the way to a high redline, but has a responsiveness of a small turbo. Less torque rush/spike = traction on the streets, and less demanding on the clutch and driveline. But obviously, this monster T4/T67 isn't anywhere near responsive at all...lol

Originally Posted by 96 GSR-T
Very nice, how does it feel to go from ultra-responsive to T4 lag? Also if you dont mind me asking who makes that VC? Will you go into some detail about your lack of a wastegate and how that is all setup?
Night and day difference...lol Recently I haven't been driving the Integra too much as a daily driver, so I didn't get a real chance to see how shitty it is without all the midrange response. I bet my car now is slower everywhere except for highway compared to my old setup... I don't even build full boost until deep into 3rd..haha! Unbelievable.... The valvecover is a Mugen copy BTW

Originally Posted by HiProfile
So...do you like it better than the (now weaker) Camry? Its not often anyone gets to hear an honest opinion about a boosted V6 vs a boosted inline-4 at close to the same HP level (both in FWD form).
Ditto. Do you like the power, or the response? I assume its still a street car...?
The Camry was mated to a high stall auto trans, and I can't really compare the two. The Integra is lighter, way higher revving with tighter gearing; beyond 3rd gear it would easily destroy the Camry. The Camry on the other hand, was insanely quick at almost any speeds without favouring much on either end (a good all around straighline car). The Integra now, I would think is a pure top-end highway/drag car.

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
no wastegate....he uses full spool all the time.
Haha, you get to see it in person so I can't hide it, but I don't plan on sharing how my wastegate is set up just yet

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Bah.. Awww Tony, I miss the last setup..
Haha, this setup by no means is a pernament setup... All my old parts from the old setup can easily be bolted back on, and I would reintall my old setup when it comes time to hit the roadcourse
Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (narfdanarf)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by narfdanarf &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man that powerband is crappy. I wonder what would happen if you ditched those ITB's and got a real manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Without this step, how would you find out if ITB's work well or not? Somebody has to find the answer, and on this planet currently, I would say, that person has to be me...lol We'll find out how a nice traditional intake manifold would improve the performance pretty soon. We can see that 26 PSI isn't much to brag about @ 543 WHP. The car ran decent at 20 PSI, making 485 WHP.. Beyond that point, I felt a huge restriction in the system.

The car made 515 WHP on pump gas and meth @ 23 PSI , and it was only possible due to the low torque. At that point, the car still ran and sounded great with no signs of detonation. I am running it at 18 deg of timing as well, but you can see that each PSI at this boost level was only worth about 9 WHP.

The 26PSI run was merely to find out exactly how the car would do if I kept pushing the boost, and in terms of safety, I had to add 25% race fuel mix. Don't pay too much attention to 26 PSI because that's just the PSI caused by restriction, but actual torque numbers were low. That was why it was physically possible to stay on such low octane at 10.5:1 CR and cramming all that boost, or else, you would expect the engine to blow up in one dyno run at 26 PSI @ 18 deg of timing....ROFL

But as far as powerband goes, I have no idea why you said it is crappy? The power starts at 6500RPM, and ends at 9200RPM (redline is set at 9500RPM which torque has gradually dropped), that means I have a 3000RPM worth of powerband. That's equivalent to a typical Honda having full spool at 5000RPM and ending at 8000RPM, but I would always land on the sweet spot due to high redline.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well......that "crappy" powerband comment was quite funny. Thats what happens when u make "big" power. Sacrifices have to be made and sacrifices im always willing to make to slaughter some liter bikes lol. Nice job again Tony. When my integra sells, probably never, im coming to u with my next project.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Tony the Tiger)

powerband looks fine to me. especially considering it's a t4 turbine side. perhaps a t3/t67 would improve on some spool time.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pwrofdrm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Some sort of restrictor on the downpipe/exhaust?? I remember seeing something like that at SEMA a few years ago.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know how the wastegate setup is....but i can't spill the beans...tony is my tuner and friend...and i'd think he'd have my ***** if i said....and also..one day it might be my setup on my car! hehe

CAR HAULS MAJOR ****!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Teglove2)

Always liked this setup...

I think narfdnarf was saying is it just dont make any tq... Well, it really doesnt... It holds what it has nicely... Which IS why it makes power... but that boost on that turbo??? Id expect quite a bitmore...

Im definately interested in seeing what happens when you put a traditional intake and TB on it!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (extralargenog)

What's up Tony...it doesn't look like this one will be as easy to hide as the last setup.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it welded to the turbine?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If this was my car I would try to switch it over to a T3/67 setup. For comparison, my T3/67 HO makes 150 more wtq at 5200rpm and 200 more wtq at 6k rpm than your graph with 3-4 less psi also on a 81.5mm w/ GSR cams and 8.5:1 comp. However my torque gradually falls from peak to redline, even with boost creep, but I sure as hell cant tell when I have it floored...lol Either way very impressive...... are you planning an IM swap anytime soon or any mods to try to make the setup breathe better?

Modified by 96 GSR-T at 7:27 AM 8/19/2008
Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in the video it sounds like the wastegate is on the charge pipes ????????
Old 08-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (eh3 93)

delete

Modified by tony413 at 11:33 AM 8/19/2008
Old 08-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i like the pyrometer location tony , why didnt you just go all out baller and put one on each runner ?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:04 PM

Default Re: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd (tony413)

i like that you are experementing with the teg again.

i also think you are going to find many ways to improve the response and peak numbers with this new adventure.

keep up the great work.

Quick Reply: New T67/T4 setup... Time to join the rest of the crowd