Notices

NEED INPUT ON TURBO MANIFOLDS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 NEED INPUT ON TURBO MANIFOLDS???

Just wondering if anybody has tried the obx top mount manifold, and what you think about it?, and whats the best choice for around 500+ or 600whp??...thanks
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEED INPUT ON TURBO MANIFOLDS???

Your kidding right? if your trying to make 500-600whp and you cant afford a real manifold then you need to rethink your power goals. Not trying to be an A-HOLE but i mean come on man. you can pick up a used manifold for less or just get like a miniram for 500 bucks. stay away from obx junk manifold or any other junk ebay manifolds
Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You cannot fit anything larger than a GT35R on the OBX topmount, my buddy has one, so far it has cracked and rewelded once near the WG pipe, his car makes a lot of power and you probably can make 500-600 with the OBX topmount but the turbo placement is so bat that you cannot fit any kind of intake filter on the turbo
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 PM
New User

for this kind of power, full race and p-fab are the names so far!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sup with all the newbs lately.

*Anyways go cheap, sure you'll be fast, but will it last?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 PM
New User

gotta start somewhere!
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...089360&page=24
Old 10-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fishieman
Sup with all the newbs lately.

*Anyways go cheap, sure you'll be fast, but will it last?
LOL! It's not like you're going to go blowing a motor over a cracked manifold.
God where do you people spawn from? Are you here to learn/contribute information, or are you here to make members with fewer posts feel like crap?
This isn't meant to insult you, just to make you realize the reality of the situation. We were all at this point once upon a time. Why not just make it easier on others to learn without making them not want to return to this forum?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by accord_raffi
LOL! It's not like you're going to go blowing a motor over a cracked manifold.
God where do you people spawn from? Are you here to learn/contribute information, or are you here to make members with fewer posts feel like crap?
This isn't meant to insult you, just to make you realize the reality of the situation. We were all at this point once upon a time. Why not just make it easier on others to learn without making them not want to return to this forum?
i second that, everyone has to start somewhere. best advice to be given about ANY high performance part is... "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!" Take that how you want. that obx manifold might last, it might not. it really comes down to peace of mind in my opinion. And..R&D!!! Egay, doesnt know what that is, and i bet obx doesnt either
Old 10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with both of you...for the price i say hell why not give it a shot..i'd love to see a pic of one installed if anyone has one. you shouldnt be ashamed to ask questions or ball on a budget.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by srt4street
i agree with both of you...for the price i say hell why not give it a shot..i'd love to see a pic of one installed if anyone has one. you shouldnt be ashamed to ask questions or ball on a budget.
Ball on a budget? Thats the dumbest **** I have ever heard of...if your balling on a budget your not balling. I wonder how ballin you will look when your wastegate falls off in the street during a pull?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not everyone has the money to spend 1200 on a manifold that is simple fact. 350.00 is a very hard price to look at and deny...and as for obx i run there LSD and made 503 on it with 0 issues. All I am saying is if you are trying to work on a budget then it is a decent alternative.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in the long run he would be saving money... he is just going to have to buy a new manifold when that one falls apart and or ruins his parts. so save your money. buy something good. i been there. and wasted alot of money on junk.. so just buy good stuff from the start.. buy a mini ram or ramhorn. get a decent turbo and make some power. !
Old 10-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by srt4street
Not everyone has the money to spend 1200 on a manifold that is simple fact. 350.00 is a very hard price to look at and deny...and as for obx i run there LSD and made 503 on it with 0 issues. All I am saying is if you are trying to work on a budget then it is a decent alternative.
Put 150 more on top of that 350 and you can get a used ramhorn for that price I understand what you are saying but I promise you cut corner and you will end up spending more each time.

Also btw my friend bought an obx LSD and thought it was a good deal, the lsd ****ed up and now he needs a new tranny plus a new LSD.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah exactly. there are used ramhorns and others on the market place. go on the Classifieds Forced induction and look aroud.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

SAVE THE MONEY get a good quality mani used or new and dont look back! They say you get what you pay for....its all for a reason!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think about it this way .. lets say you buy that $ 100.oo - 200.oo OBX manifold, you install, everything is peachy. Then your manifold cracks, you pay to re-weld. Then it cracks further down, you pay again to re-weld. Then it cracks a third time, you say to yourself "Fukcs this" and purchase something decent for $ 600.oo. Now you must also Fab up a New downpipe and Dump-tube to go along with that New manifold you just purchased, Which means at least another $ 400.00 ontop of it all. The aggrevation, the extra money spent, and the downtime. ... Think about that, worth it ?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp
Ball on a budget? how ballin you will look when your wastegate falls off in the street during a pull?
Now how would that happen? Cheap wastegate or not. Are you using chopsticks as bolts?

Also btw my friend bought an obx LSD and thought it was a good deal, the lsd ****ed up and now he needs a new tranny plus a new LSD.
I have been on forums of a few makes that discuss how the OBX lsd holds up to quaife. They are basically equivalent to each other. That being said, would he have broke it on a quaife?
Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheap wastegate or not. Are you using chopsticks as bolts?
Actually it does happen. Low grade / thin metals being used for manifolds, improper bracing, improper welding, and turbo weighing 4 times the weight of a cheap manifold does this very thing.

Last edited by street_ride14; 10-21-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by street_ride14
Actually it does happen. Low grade / thin metals being used for manifolds, improper bracing, improper welding, and turbo weighing 4 times the weight of a cheap manifold does this very thing.
x2. it does happen. i had a ccfab manifold on my d series a long time ago. it was very high quality. and with all the rough roads around my house and where i live the weight of the wastegate broke the flange from the manifold having it dangle there. now imagine using a low quality obx or any other ebay manifold.. chopstix or not.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now how would that happen? Cheap wastegate or not. Are you using chopsticks as bolts?

I have been on forums of a few makes that discuss how the OBX lsd holds up to quaife. They are basically equivalent to each other. That being said, would he have broke it on a quaife?
I wonder how many forums you have been on if you dont know that these manifold are made of weaker materials. Hell have you even HELD a manifold with proper welds in your hands(Also before you start running off at the mouth a $1200 full race manifold was not what I was referring to). Go hold one and come back and tell me, the weight difference alone will tell the story. BTW the wastegate that fell off was a tial wastegate and a wastegate breaking off a shitty manifold has nothing to do with the wastegate

Referring to the LSD the car was not even making 350whp, I will admit he did drive the car VERY rough but I can promise you a quaife would not have broken hell the only quaife I have seen broken personally was in a 800whp car.

Would you like to try again?
Old 10-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wonder how many forums you have been on if you dont know that these manifold are made of weaker materials. Hell have you even HELD a manifold with proper welds in your hands(Also before you start running off at the mouth a $1200 full race manifold was not what I was referring to). Go hold one and come back and tell me, the weight difference alone will tell the story. BTW the wastegate that fell off was a tial wastegate and a wastegate breaking off a shitty manifold has nothing to do with the wastegate

Referring to the LSD the car was not even making 350whp, I will admit he did drive the car VERY rough but I can promise you a quaife would not have broken hell the only quaife I have seen broken personally was in a 800whp car.

x2..
Old 10-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You ever notice how all those cheap ebay exhaust parts are all chromy and shiny but the legit manifolds are bronzed over? Its the quality of the metal. The ebay **** is very thin and does not hold up to the constant heating and cooling extremes a manifold will see. They make work for headers, but not when theres a 25-30lb mass hanging from it.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well excuse me because I didn't understand your post. You just said "wastegate falls off." I thought you meant the wastegate itself being shitty which is why I spoke up. It sounded stupid but now I know you were talking about the welds of the manifold. I've read on several forums about the OBX lsd...NOT their turbo manifold so chill and read my post more carefully. I know a good quality manifold from a bad one and I never said anything in my post about the OBX manifold being good. Point out where I did. Now, do you want to try again? I have a pretty decent Spoolin log manifold on my car. Their welds are pretty good.

Search quaife vs obx lsd's. I'm just reiterating what I remember reading.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well excuse me because I didn't understand your post. You just said "wastegate falls off." I thought you meant the wastegate itself being shitty which is why I spoke up. It sounded stupid but now I know you were talking about the welds of the manifold. I've read on several forums about the OBX lsd...NOT their turbo manifold so chill and read my post more carefully. I know a good quality manifold from a bad one and I never said anything in my post about the OBX manifold being good. Point out where I did. Now, do you want to try again? I have a pretty decent Spoolin log manifold on my car. Their welds are pretty good.

Search quaife vs obx lsd's. I'm just reiterating what I remember reading.
Im just saying man ive seen plenty of obx lsds **** up, but do what you want. Also since you were questioning about what I said about wastegates cracking on those manifolds I thought you were thinking that they were okay and quality since the only manifolds that crack are shitty ones like that.

Either way no harm the OP was asking about manifolds not lsds so lets try to keep it on topic before we derail the whole topic haha
Old 10-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get an autoworks mani they are sturdy and cheap

Quick Reply: NEED INPUT ON TURBO MANIFOLDS???