Notices

need helpful tips when tuning with a dyno

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need helpful tips when tuning with a dyno

i'm going to take my car and tune it on a dyno saturday morning, has any one got any helpful tips/ best way to start out. i'm running a haltec.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: need helpful tips when tuning with a dyno (speedworks)

Ah Haltech, I remember all the lovely headaches and problems that standalone caused me. Good luck with it. On a serious note, you should keep in mind the following:

1. Set your vtec point at where the torque and horsepower lines cross. This will smooth out the transition.

2. If you are planning on running 12.5:1 in boost, then tune 12:1 on the dyno. You'll richer on the dyno, since the loading in boost isnt the same as actual real world driving.

3. Pull the timing back around 2 degree retarded when you start tuning the fuel. After the fuel is tuned, start with the timing. Add .5 degree increments. You'll gain power to a certain point. Once you start losing power you are detonating in boost. Back off your timing by .2~.3 degree per pound of boost to get you safe again.

4. Pull the plugs after you have established a solid map. Check for metal flakes with a magnifying glass. If you have flakes, then back off the timing a bit more.

5. Another way to check for detonation under full throttle load, use a stephoscope and put it up to the engine. You'll be able to hear faint knocking. If you do, back off timing or add more fuel.

6. Lastly, but not least. Run the car rich, back off the timing then add it back in. Dont get aggresive in the tune, and dont get greedy. Remember after a few runs the car is heat soaked, so numbers will be lower.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:02 PM

Default Re: need helpful tips when tuning with a dyno (boosted hybrid)

Ah Haltech, I remember all the lovely headaches and problems that standalone caused me. Good luck with it. On a serious note, you should keep in mind the following:

1. Set your vtec point at where the torque and horsepower lines cross. This will smooth out the transition.

2. If you are planning on running 12.5:1 in boost, then tune 12:1 on the dyno. You'll richer on the dyno, since the loading in boost isnt the same as actual real world driving.

3. Pull the timing back around 2 degree retarded when you start tuning the fuel. After the fuel is tuned, start with the timing. Add .5 degree increments. You'll gain power to a certain point. Once you start losing power you are detonating in boost. Back off your timing by .2~.3 degree per pound of boost to get you safe again.

4. Pull the plugs after you have established a solid map. Check for metal flakes with a magnifying glass. If you have flakes, then back off the timing a bit more.

5. Another way to check for detonation under full throttle load, use a stephoscope and put it up to the engine. You'll be able to hear faint knocking. If you do, back off timing or add more fuel.

6. Lastly, but not least. Run the car rich, back off the timing then add it back in. Dont get aggresive in the tune, and dont get greedy. Remember after a few runs the car is heat soaked, so numbers will be lower.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need helpful tips when tuning with a dyno (boostaholic)

thanks guys for the advice. what would be some real close timing numbers at 20 pounds of boost. the car will be on 110 race fuel.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: need helpful tips when tuning with a dyno (speedworks)

I assume you have syncronized your haltech ecu with your distributor. 32 degree is what the stock honda ecu runs at wot. Under 20lbs using race gas you want to retard the timing about .3 degree per pound of true, so 25-26 degree total timing.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need helpful tips when tuning with a dyno (boosted hybrid)

thanks, i'll keep that in mind.