Notices

Need help on turbo blown seal?...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice and help on turbo..

Okay so I believe my oil seal is blown or shot, due to massive amounts of smoke shooting out my exhaust when I'm boosting, even the smallest amount anything over 1psi and it'll give off. I was wondering if I'm able to keep the turbo housing where my downpipe flange bolt ups and just change the internals or the the turbo itself and replace it with a different one, here's a diagram to kind of give you a picture of what I'm talking about. Sorry if it doesn't come out to clear it was just an idea, seeing if I can or not. The red words and arrows is what I'm trying to accomplish, I can pick up a different turbo but don't really have the budget to just go and get a downpiped welded up, So i was just wondering if what I'm trying to do is well, do-able. Any help would be great. And would bolt patterns matter?
It's a 6-bolt on hot side and 6-bolt on cold side, Garrett, not sure what trim it is, internally wastegated. Could the wastegate be the problem? Anything past 0(zero)psi, it'll just start blowing smoke. If my piston rings were out before would the turbo make it even worse? or should the smoking still be normal as when the car wasn't turboed. Thanks for putting up with my problems.

Modified by ProjectEG8 at 1:09 AM 7/5/2007

Modified by ProjectEG8 at 1:10 AM 7/5/2007

Modified by ProjectEG8 at 1:10 AM 7/5/2007
Old 07-05-2007, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need advice and help on turbo.. (ProjectEG8)

I would do a comp test and a leakdown first to see if your rings/valve guides are ok. If it turns out to be your turbo, there are places online that will instruct you on how to rebuild it. If you're semi-mechanically inclined you can likely do it. The issue will be getting it balanced. This is a must and will cost you ~$100 from the quotes that I have recieved. GL.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need advice and help on turbo.. (ProjectEG8)

So are you saying that what I'm trying to do is possible?, I'm not looking to rebuild it just swapping out center section while keeping that part that I highlighted in the picture. Do-able?