Notices

Need help b16 on boost over heating

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help b16 on boost over heating

I really need help my car has a great tune I'm on 10 psi on a stock b16 a1. The only thing done is arp head studs, blox block gaurd, and lmas.
I changed the water pump, thermostat, radiator to a aftermarket one.
The car only starts over heating when I'm beating on it or when I get off the highway. When I start driving the temp gadge goes down. The fan stay on all the time cause it's hard wired it's also stock. I don't know why it's over heating but I really need to stop it from over heating.
Also I did a head gasket test and its good

Old 07-12-2015, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Need help b16 on boost over heating

Originally Posted by Zoeking321
I really need help my car has a great tune I'm on 10 psi on a stock b16 a1. The only thing done is arp head studs, blox block gaurd, and lmas.
I changed the water pump, thermostat, radiator to a aftermarket one.
The car only starts over heating when I'm beating on it or when I get off the highway. When I start driving the temp gadge goes down. The fan stay on all the time cause it's hard wired it's also stock. I don't know why it's over heating but I really need to stop it from over heating.
Also I did a head gasket test and its good
Thats a huge inter cooler for what sounds like pretty simple build. With the bumper on theres not much room for air flow, Also I couldn't recommend leaving the fan on all the time, why don't you have it hooked up properly? you said 10 PSI but we don't know which turbo you are running so that doesn't say much. I always run the slim fans I feel as tho they outperform stock fans although i have heard some speak highly of the stock fan mostly due to the shroud..which radiator do you have? you are using correct oem water pump? non vtec pump could definitely cause problems
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

did you drain and change your coolant with a good mix. did you completely dump out your radiator
Old 07-12-2015, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When did this problem start? Before or after the turbo?

That intercooler looks as if it's blocking all airflow to your radiator.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:39 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blox block guard
Old 07-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your intercooler is blocking the radiator, you are using a blockgaurd and you have the fans hardwired.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by v8killaz
your intercooler is blocking the radiator, you are using a blockgaurd and you have the fans hardwired.
Having the fans running all the time actually creates turbulence effect while you're driving the vehicle on the highway, causing higher coolant temperatures because of the fact that the coolant it not cooling down at all within the engine.

Having the intercooler being as large as it is does not exactly help, but does not contribute very much to your issue. If the radiator itself is not very efficient, having a larger intercooler will simply aggravate the overheating condition.

The standard blockguard that you've installed within the engine makes things even worse.

So, hit the fan so that they are functioning normally, remove block card if ever possible, make sure that you have the correct efficient radiator
Old 07-12-2015, 07:00 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm assuming you are running a half core radiator and removed the AC system... so here is part of your problem.

With removing AC and running a half core radiator you have a large opening right next to the radiator. Air likes to take the path of least resistance so it will pass through the opening before it passes through the radiator. You need a block-off plate to close that hole up and force the air to actually pass through the radiator. Honda does have an OEM block-off panel for factory cars that didn't have AC.

And yes, like everyone else has said, that intercooler is far too large for your power goals. Also when you run a stock front bumper that hasn't been cut for the large intercooler then the majority of the core is blocked by the bumper and doesn't have any airflow through the upper half. No airflow through most of the intercooler = higher IATs than you would have if you ran a smaller core that had complete airflow through the core.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't over heat be for boost. I have a aftermarket half size radiator and a stock fan. I did a coolent system pressure test and it held the pressure. I thought it was head gasket but I did the test. I also bleed the hell out the coolent
Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could it be cause my waste gate dump pipe is sort and is letting off in the bay?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by camdizawg
Thats a huge inter cooler for what sounds like pretty simple build. With the bumper on theres not much room for air flow, Also I couldn't recommend leaving the fan on all the time, why don't you have it hooked up properly? you said 10 PSI but we don't know which turbo you are running so that doesn't say much. I always run the slim fans I feel as tho they outperform stock fans although i have heard some speak highly of the stock fan mostly due to the shroud..which radiator do you have? you are using correct oem water pump? non vtec pump could definitely cause problems
I have a 52 trim turbo and a own water pump. Aftermarket half size rad and stick fan.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:38 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

"Hey guys, I'm going to ask for your opinions, but then completely ignore all of them!"

That really isn't how things work around here. We've already given you at least four possible causes. It's time for you to start making adjustments based off of those causes until you find your solution.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP...did you ever find the problem?
Old 07-13-2015, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think the block guard is the problem, I solved my problem with overheating using a maradyne 13" fan problem solved. I have a sleeved block.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARaCist

That really isn't how things work around here. We've already given you at least four possible causes. It's time for you to start making adjustments based off of those causes until you find your solution.

Stop being such a keyboard commando all the time?? Come off like such a douche

Nobody thought to even ask what temperature this guy is seeing...

Whats "overheating" temperature to you op? Measured at the stock location or did you splice in a temperature probe somehwere?

Making a block off plate for the big opening beside the half rad makes a huge difference. Also, is your rad one that is thin single core and has plastic endtanks? Half size all aluminum rads are under $ 100 (as low as $50 actually) and are much thicker, would suit the application very well if it isnt already what you have. And the fan should only be running at low speeds and idle