Notices

n/a modded gs-r nitrous safe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n/a modded gs-r nitrous safe?

i have a 97gsr and i have pretty much finished with modding as far as n/a is concerned.
mods are...

iceman cai
dc jdm 4-1
2 1/2 in. testpipe
2 1/2 in. catback
skunk2 stage 2 cams
skunk2 hc valves
skunk2 valve springs
skunk2 ti retainers
skunk2 gears
b&m fpr
slightly milled head
mugen 2ply head gasket
odb1 hondata 2b

and thats all.... i think.....

anyways, my question is this, i have recently been thinking of adding a lil nitrous, now don't get me wrong i love my set-up but i'm just looking for a little more for those modded 5.0's and vettes. i researched a little and have decieded of a 50 shot wet kit from nx or a single fogger from nos.

so....

1. with my setup how would the engine react to the nitrous. would this hurt my engine anymore than it whould a stock b18c1 b/c of the raised compression.

2. has anyone ever sprayed on a similer setup? how where the results as far as decreseing 1/4 mile times?

3. anyone ever sprayed on the skunk2 cams? i know they are ment for n/a, is there a better cam for spraying? sell the skunk2's and go stock cams?

4. when n/a i take it to 9k rpm with no problem but when spraying on a stock block with a higher cr whould it be safe to go over 8k rpm?

5. what accessories whould you recomend besides the basic kit? msd, diffrent plugs?

just trying to get a little info and trying to prevent from blowing up my car i whould rather go turbo but i'm low on cash for a while so should i do it or just do some more work to my n/a set-up?

all comments/replys greatly appriciated, i'm at work and get off in like 4 hours and might go out to buy the kit. thanks

Old 07-03-2002, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: n/a modded gs-r nitrous safe? (BEe18SeAONe)

since no one has answered anything, ill give the little information i do know about nitrous set ups. first off, i recommend the ZEX wet kit set up, it is available in 3 horsepower set ups which always nice to have. It is reputably known as one of the safest nitrous systems one reason because it is self regulating, it adjusts fuel pressure according to bottle pressure. As far as accessories, if you run the zex go with their hyperformance triple electrode spark plugs, it is 2 stages colder then stock. Any NOS system you run, you will need a colder spark plug. Also, it is recommended to retard timing just a bit for a nitrous set up, 1.5 to 2 degree per 50 shot is a good rule of thumb (due to high temperatures and your compression ratio). An ignition system would also be a nice additive to have in the setup. As far as if it is safe for your motor or not, you always take a risk when adding something that will drastically increase your power output. If you take the proper precautions and get the things i listed above as well as having it dyno tuned to ensure proper a/f readings, then i believe you should be safe. Like i said, im not the NOS tech on here, hopefully some of these guys will be able to be more helpful.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: n/a modded gs-r nitrous safe? (GudeH23a)

your almsot right in some places , zex doesnt make a wet kit , and the 3prong lugsd suck ***.
the only thing you need to worry about is with the longer duration cams , there was something about them not taking the force of nitrous. , something with the valve slap or something . . . how much comp you running? im 10.6:1 and im running fine , i think you be more thna fine ,
Old 07-03-2002, 10:00 AM

Default Re: n/a modded gs-r nitrous safe? (itr206)

i have one input of info. with your n/a cams they will have over lap. so when you are spraying some nos will go straight out your exhaust. so it would be helpful to have turbo or nos cams if they even make a nos cams. the only down side to that is lost in hp when not spraying.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:31 AM

Default Re: n/a modded gs-r nitrous safe? (BEe18SeAONe)

thanks for the info guys, ya zex is a dry system, what kind of plugs u running on your R? with the milled head, thin headgasket and also the skunk2 high compression valves i'm guess 10.7:1 to 11:1 for my cr, anyone else got any more info........
Old 07-03-2002, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: n/a modded gs-r nitrous safe? (itr206)

zex doesnt make a wet kit
Thanks for pointing that out, i learn something new every day