Notices

Is my turbo cooked?

Old 08-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my turbo cooked?

I have a set of Arias forged Pistons in my D16 with 500 kms on it. I've been pretty easy on the car since installing them. When I drive around normally, everything is fine, no smoke, no problems. When I give her some boost she starts shooting some blue smoke out the back. Now I've blown a set of rings before, and when I did that, it smoked ALL the time. This time it only smokes if i give it full boost. Doesn't seem to do it under light boost. One guy told me before I put my turbo back on the car that the turbo might need a rebuild but I didn't get one. God I pray it's the turbo cuz I don't wanna get new rings for the pistons. I'm only running 5 psi so they better not be shot.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: Is my turbo cooked? (ZCboost)

if it doesn't smoke all the time then its most likely not ur rings .......... if the blue smoke is coming out of the exhaust than the turbo is most likely not the problem......if its possible drive around w/o the hood on to see wuts going on around the turbo while driving this solved my problem i couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't boost found out my return line was too small and was keeping the oil from flowing
Old 08-29-2004, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my turbo cooked? (herde1724)

Ya I'm not sure. It's weird. I was out this evening with a freind in a well lit area, gave her some boost in 2nd gear and looked back and there was nothing. What I think it may be doing is that it had been a long time since I had even ran into boost with the car. Probably 2 days or more without touching boost. Is it possible that there is oil building up in the turbo and then by giving it boost it shot it all out? Cuz it seems that now I've cleaned it out there was nothing. I'll drive it in the morning and see what it does.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is my turbo cooked? (ZCboost)

I fixed my friends 7m-gte supra. it did the same thing pushing 8-10 psi.
driving normal no smoke
put some boost on it and it smokes...you hold it in boost and she would just keep smoking. let it out and she would quit.
replaced the valve oil seals and no more smokey
pull off you charge pipes and see if there is fresh oil in it near the throttle body.
wouldnt hurt to do a compression test and leak down test.
good luck.