Notices

My car must hate the dyno..

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car must hate the dyno..

Well I thought I would just share some of my experiences I have been having with my car recently.

To start, in the course of 4-5 months I have been to the dyno for a total of 3 times for about 3 hrs each time trying to get this car running right.

Well first dyno run we were making **** for HP and couldnt figure out why, I think it was like 250HP on 25lbs (Now I am trying for about 550 HP) so the POS alum. crank pully got all ate up and so we called it a day. Take it back a few weeks later and still making the same HP. But this time it was a popped cyl. that ended our day. Well I get the engine rebuilt and come to find out I had the ignition trigger signal wired backwards causing my ignition to go real far advanced like 40 deg or more. Well I get this figured out and then my ignition coil takes a **** on me so I just break down and by a better ignition. So anyway I get the car runnin and to me it seems like its running great on like 15psi so I get my tax money and go back to the dyno yesterday. Well we get there and make like 260HP first pull so I was like maybe were on to something and the ignition timing was very conservvative so I added some advance. Well this caused a huge drop in power so I was thinking that I am having the same problem again so I talk to Frank at SFP and he helps me to put the right settings in the Haltech and get it running good. Now I got the ignition fixed and everything seems fine so we go to make a pull well when we make a pull as soon as my secondary injectors come on (I am running 8 injectors 4 of them come on at about 12psi) the car would start sputtering missing out real bad.

So anyway now I am pissed and just wanna get home and get to work on this thing b/c I cant let it get the best of me. Just thought I would vent anyone else got some good stories of there problems.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

man that sucks it would make me want to just give up
Old 02-25-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (91tegrals)

id get rid of those secondary injectors.... the haltec should have enough control to idle/drive around on whatever injector you want...

that will save you some headaches, not to mention less stuff to break.

Old 02-25-2004, 09:13 AM

Default Re: (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man that sucks it would make me want to just give up </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea but for some reason it makes me more compeled to fix it and I wont be satisfied till I get it right.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id get rid of those secondary injectors.... the haltec should have enough control to idle/drive around on whatever injector you want...

that will save you some headaches, not to mention less stuff to break.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know I could just run a single set of injectors but this is what I got and manifold is already set up for 8 so I know I can get those to work itll just take time.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Re: (30psi Teg)

Hey man,
This is Jason's friend Kiel, who was at the dyno yesterday in the white IU hat. You've got a really nice setup...goodluck getting it all worked out. I'm sure you'll see those numbers you are looking for. Good Luck
Old 02-25-2004, 09:35 AM

Default Re: (2muchPSI)

yo man, that sucks about ur dyno time, at least i extracted 54 hp out of my car, but nobody beleives me anyways...

do you think that dyno at extreme runs a little generously?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: (BlackbirdS14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2muchPSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey man,
This is Jason's friend Kiel, who was at the dyno yesterday in the white IU hat. You've got a really nice setup...goodluck getting it all worked out. I'm sure you'll see those numbers you are looking for. Good Luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks man.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackbirdS14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yo man, that sucks about ur dyno time, at least i extracted 54 hp out of my car, but nobody beleives me anyways...

do you think that dyno at extreme runs a little generously?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yO you found HT I see. Anyway I dont know there probably is gonna be a slight dif. between the 2 dynos but couldnt tell good or bad. Anyway 1 thing that could have helped was the fact that rasing the boost helped bring the compressor closer to its efficency range which that on your motor is probaly most efficient around 10-13psi just guessin. But thats still really good what you got with your car and we all know what happend so **** the haters. I glad one thing I had my hand in tturned out real good.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man, maybe it's the Haltec...I run one, and I swear if it craps out on my set-up, I'm giving it to the 1st person with their hand out...
Old 02-25-2004, 10:27 AM

Default Re: (mildly interesting)

You really aught to consider going with 4 injectors instead of 8. What turbo are you running? I would go with a simpler unit like HOndata. They can make plenty of power, uglyasscivic made 690whp with the hondata 4b...
Old 02-25-2004, 10:40 AM

must be frustrating, but you gotta finish
Old 02-25-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: (swatdog)

Damn that sucks bro. Something like that would scare me from going back.

Kind of like my track days. I wanted to see what I can do in the 1320 and I broke twice. cost me losts of money to get that **** home and then I have to ask for a ride to work.

But keep the faith man you have to tackle that dyno just like I have to tackle the track.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: My car must hate the dyno.. (30psi Teg)

At what location are you dynoing?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:19 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At what location are you dynoing?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A place in Bloomington IN called Extreme Performance (I think), they mostly deal with domestic stuff and off road.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swatdog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">must be frustrating, but you gotta finish</TD></TR></TABLE>

No doubt

- About switching to hondata, that really isnt possible b/c I gutted all the factory wiring and everything

I have heard a lot of good things about the haltech working fine and its what I got so I really want to do it that way.

I am going to try running these 8 injectors but if I cant get it tuned I will either run all 8 all the time or I will just get 4 95# injectors and do it that way. I know it'll work seems like the main thing it could be is wiring problems. Oh well you get in a hurry and look were it gets you so I probably will wind up ppulling the harness and redoing the whole thing plus this whole adventure is a great learning experience so its not all bad side.

I just know there is some **** talkers around here who I would love to shutup by pulling 500+ WHP
Old 02-26-2004, 07:01 AM

sounds like you need to find someone who knows what the hell they are doing.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My car must hate the dyno.. (mchuang)

i know how you feel man. I went through so much hell trying to get my **** dyno'ed too. Had it dyno tuned 2 times with a total of $650bux and still wasnt close to being done. Got sick of driving 45min to go tune and spend that much money so i bought an o2 wideband. Kept tuning on the street. It was going good until i advanced my ignition way too much, melted a piston. And that was it for me...i quit and parted the car out.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:33 AM

I know what you mean about the wiring...it was cheaper to stick with my distributorless ignition and Haltec, than to buy a distributor, OBD1 harness, and an AEM EMS...
Old 02-26-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mildly interesting &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know what you mean about the wiring...it was cheaper to stick with my distributorless ignition and Haltec, than to buy a distributor, OBD1 harness, and an AEM EMS...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can keep the distributorless ign with the ems.... we have several cars running around right now with our coil on plug kit
Old 02-26-2004, 08:28 AM

yeah, but I've still got to buy a harness for OBD1...and it's my daily....and I'm not coming out of pocket 1500 bucks for an EMS when I already have one...and on and on and on and on...sorry man, go shill those wares somewhere else
Old 02-27-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Re: My car must hate the dyno.. (mchuang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mchuang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like you need to find someone who knows what the hell they are doing.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

**** that this is the only way to learn how to for myself, I want to do it all so when something goes wrong I know who to blame or what to do to fix it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know how you feel man. I went through so much hell trying to get my **** dyno'ed too. Had it dyno tuned 2 times with a total of $650bux and still wasnt close to being done. Got sick of driving 45min to go tune and spend that much money so i bought an o2 wideband. Kept tuning on the street. It was going good until i advanced my ignition way too much, melted a piston. And that was it for me...i quit and parted the car out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty much just like me man. **** sux.

-Well I think I quite possibly could have figured out my problems after talking with Frank at SFP and going over some wiring and setup in my ECU, the car def. feels like its running better. Hopefully get some street tuning this weekend and maybe after that get to the dyno for an hour just to see if we are going to make progress before I get a 3 hr block that is usless. So for anyone who is interested I will post updates later.

Old 02-27-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What spark plugs are you running?
Old 03-01-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Re: My car must hate the dyno.. (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What spark plugs are you running?</TD></TR></TABLE>

NGKs not sure on the number
Old 03-01-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck keep us posted...