Notices

My Built LS/Vtec setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Built LS/Vtec setup

So i have just built an LS/Vtec motor and I am looking to get thoughts on what kind of power I can expenct to make with this setup. Here is my setup. Please be kind, im just looking for thoughts and expectations here.

-BLOCK
Golden Eagle Sleeved 84mm LS Block
Weisco 9.1 pistons
Manley H beams
Stock LS Crank
*rotating assembly was balanced

-HEAD
B16a2 head (not ported or polished)
GSR Cams
Supertech Valves
Supertech titanium valvesprings
Supertech retainers
ARP fasteners

-Turbo Kit
Precision 6266JB .82ar
Go Autowerks Ram Horn manifold
Go autoworks DP
Tial 44mm wastegate
Tial Q BOV

-Fuel
Bosch 1600cc injectors
Fulll blown dual pump hanger w/ 255 pumps
aeromotive filter
AEM FPR
-10 AN lines all the way up
Golden Eagle Fuel Rail

-Electronics
Hondata S300 w/boost by gear
AEM wideband

...I just want to know what kinda power I can expect to make. Also, I am going to tune with boost by gear but what are peoples recommendations? should I street tune it? track tune it? or just get a dyno tune for peak HP?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My Built LS/Vtec setup

You can make some good numbers with that turbo haha. Boost by gear is definitely the way to go, i suggest limiting it to 5psi in first, 8psi in second, 12psi in 3rd, than the sky is the limit, but that is if your thinking about having some traction. In my opinion you should have your rev limiter set 1k below what it can handle for longetivity of the engine. Plus it's nice to bounce rev limiter without much worry. I'm a strictly a dyno tune guy but that is all prefferance. I like having visual proof of my numbers.

Have you concidered an E85 tune..?

Thats my opinion and you can take it however you'd like thank you and congrats on the build, I wanna see a video of this thing
Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i was thinking about E85 but my area doesnt have it yet so im SOL with that. I was told that GSR Cams will limit the amount of poweri can make to lower then 450whp. Also, these Bosch 1600s that i got, i am suspicious because they have Ford stamped on them, but the guy i got them from said he had them on his integra and they worked fine.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what waste gate spring do you have in there? i read somewhere that you can only boost twice your spring pressure.Another alternative to e85 is water/meth injection, or you can have two maps one for race gas and one for 91 or 93 which ever you have in your area.Im sure the gsr cams wont limit you to under 450 whp.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphon
what waste gate spring do you have in there? i read somewhere that you can only boost twice your spring pressure.Another alternative to e85 is water/meth injection, or you can have two maps one for race gas and one for 91 or 93 which ever you have in your area.Im sure the gsr cams wont limit you to under 450 whp.
You can do about 2.5 times the springrate of most wastegates. GS-R camshafts in no way limit the power level to 450whp. 93 octane can be used for boost levels as one setup. The meth/water will be introduced even at lower boost pressure levels, as its not like simply going from 93octane to 110 or 116 octane.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i find it odd that you threw all those parts together without having a power goal to begin with. With the set-up youre giving i would imagine you are using E-85. If not then the fuel set-up is a bit overkill, alhtough it will give you room for growth so nothing wrong with that.

It should be tuned on the DYno for the best results, That would include a drivability tune, and a power tune. You will be fine with the boost by gear, that will also be dialed out on the dyno, however you can find tune it on the street. I would leave the tuning up too the tuner tho.

Thats a large turbo, which is again why i stated in the begining its odd you dont have a hp goal after putting a set-up together. Most people will build there set-up around there power goals , and use of car (Track, auto X, DD ect)

With that being said, you have a large turbo so the potential to make alot of power is there, you will sacrifice low end power though. Im sure 650-700whp is easily obtainable with E85 on this set-up, maybe more. Thats on E85 or race gas. Pump gas 500+ can be had conservitaly

People have made 800whp on Gsr cams...so whoever told you that is simply wrong
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did have a power goal, i wanted to make 500 whp on 93 and 650-700 on race gas. I wanted to do a E85 setup but we dont have it in my area, 93 is all we get from pump. my fuel setup is setup for a lot of growth and to make sure i have no shortage. I picked that turbo because from what I read, it is about the same as the 6262 which is a great unit. I am not sure which spring i have in the wastegate. any recommendations on which spring to pick up?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im also limited by the tuners around my area...im from Louisiana and there are only 2 in my area without going to T1 in Texas.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea you will get to youre power goals with thi set-up. I hear you on the E-85 im from the north and dont have it in my area. I actually just moved down to the dallas area so im only 45min from T1. I would take the drive or tow to a reputable tuner. As this is the most important portion of youre set-up...and the best money spent will be on tuning.!

Seems like you did youre homework based on youre set-up vs. Goals...So dont get all this way and skimp out on tuning.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup don't settle just for any tuner. It will be worth the tow or drive if there is not a good tuner in your area,
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tuning a car with this same setup on friday. What did this make?