Notices

Msd plugs wires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd plugs wires?

I've searched about these "big" red wires on the forum and didn't find threads about
I m using some 20 years old OEM at the moment do you advise NGK (blue) or Msd? Because a friend give me a black Msd cap with the MSD plugs wires.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Msd plugs wires?

I've used NGK blues on my d16 without issues, I use the big red MSD's on my LS/VTEC. Bigger plug wires offer less resistance and allow more current to reach the plug... making for a more powerful and efficient ignition system. Over time wires break down, especially if they are 20 years old... it would be a good idea to upgrade, especially if you're making decent power on a stock ignition system... you'll notice a smoother running car and more mpg when not driving like an *** lol. As well as a touch more power if your wires are that old.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have NGK blues on my b16. They work just fine. Unless you are pushing some serious power, stock or the NGK. I always put bigger wires on my V8's but it seems like the consensus for the honda world is that it doesn't make a big enough difference to even matter about the size, just that they are newer and are a good brand name (NGK, Honda OEM, MSD). Find the best deal and go with it. Advice though, don't do the msd cap and external coil. Been down that road. Doesn't work as well on Honda's as it does on domestics. Honda ignition system is great as is IMO.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea, external coil can cause a lot of issues, stock ignition system is stronger than you think

The only time I would modify anything is when going coil on plug for high power levels.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most stock ignition on hondas are ok till about 500whp... NGK Is perfectly fine, I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you guys,

My goal is 650WHP, my block is sleeved and have a 67mm Turbo.

Are NGK wires enough
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If funs are tight and your not running an EMS that will support COp or you dont want to fork out tons of money for hondata COP if your running hondata then there are alternatives. 650 can happen on stock ignition but it wont hold up.

I've been running a system Theshodan recomended for 5 years now without a hiccup. Summit digital cdi ignition box, crane ps92 coil and ignitor bypass box that i make or others make as well. the whole setup will run you about 275 bucks and will give you a lot more spark, better burn of the a/f mixture which in turn creates more torque overall.

Im running 27 pounds of boost with a plugs gap of .025. on stock ignition you would be more like a plug gap of .010

OEM NGK wires are where its at, there inexpensive and are proven to work great. All these aftermarket wires are hype mainly and the construction is usually crap. MSD wires are knock to pull apart from my experience. I have accel on my car currently just because they were left over from my old drag car and they work fine but i wouldnt buy them again the top of the boost keep coming off. PITA
Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

magnecor are the way to go if your looking for an upgrade, otherwise, NGK blues are the way to go for a cheap good replacement set. MSD wires in my opinion are absolute junk, had a set and they fell apart after a couple thousand miles, and they use a proprietary cap for the distributor so you can use them on anything else.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have magnecor gotten better ? I remember using those back in the day and they fell apart quicker than the msd junks I replaced them with.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
MSD wires in my opinion are absolute junk, had a set and they fell apart after a couple thousand miles, and they use a proprietary cap for the distributor so you can use them on anything else.
Proprietary cap? On their Billet Distributor? I believe they do have a cap that has the back shell but its not necessary.
I have had a few sets of different plug wires through the years and never had a set of plug wires other than Vato-Zones fall apart. If your using silicone and pulling at the appropriate location I'm not sure how you would experience this with any decent wire.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Have magnecor gotten better ? I remember using those back in the day and they fell apart quicker than the msd junks I replaced them with.
Ive never EVER had an issue with magnecor wires, 10 years now, started using them on DSM's and they have been excellent since then.

I was using them on my new motor..

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
Proprietary cap? On their Billet Distributor? I believe they do have a cap that has the back shell but its not necessary.
I have had a few sets of different plug wires through the years and never had a set of plug wires other than Vato-Zones fall apart. If your using silicone and pulling at the appropriate location I'm not sure how you would experience this with any decent wire.
The MSD cap I got with the wires had reversed connections, which I had never seen before for any integra cap. There wasnt a single aftermarket wire I could use on the cap when the MSD wires fell apart the first time I took them off (ripped the ends out of the boots).
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the MSD cap that your talking about. Its takes special wire ends that lock on which is nice not just push in and hang there loose. You can buy the ends and replace the ends on any spark plug wire. This is how mine is now and im buying NGK wires to replace my old accel's and getting new MSD cap that comes with the replacement ends to change them out on the ngk's.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I've had my msd's now for going on 9 years without a single issue, guess it's hit or miss
Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Back to the OP, if you buddy gave them to you, give them a shot and see how you like them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I use Hondata S300.
I use NGK at the moment with Oem distributor and I m going to use Msd cap, digital 6A and SS blaster coil. I tried the NGK wires on Msd cap and it matches no problem
Old 12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont get a blaster coil they are crap get a good coil. crane ps82
Old 12-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what makes them crap?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From personal experience theyre junk. they have less spark energy that a stock coil. the blaster ss coil didnt last to long either maybe a year. i was running a .022 gap on stock coil and had to gap down to .018 with the blasster ss coil. i guess i should have been more specific to say blaster ss coils and blaster 2 coils. the blaster hvc coils are good.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Really? Ok I'm going to find à PS82 ok Hvc coil.
No problem with the Digital 6A?
CAN I put it into the car below the carpet?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NGK blues on my turbo LS
Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Yea, external coil can cause a lot of issues, stock ignition system is stronger than you think

The only time I would modify anything is when going coil on plug for high power levels.
have a blown d-16 with a blaster 2 coil, never had an issue with mine.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
From personal experience theyre junk. they have less spark energy that a stock coil. the blaster ss coil didnt last to long either maybe a year. i was running a .022 gap on stock coil and had to gap down to .018 with the blasster ss coil. i guess i should have been more specific to say blaster ss coils and blaster 2 coils. the blaster hvc coils are good.
I have been running a blaster 2 coil from day one with my blown d-16 never have an issue. blaster 2 produces a 45,000 volt charge one of the higher stand alone coil voltages on the market. It has 5000 more volts then Accels factory replacement coil which is marketed to be a hotter coil then factory.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it this one the Blaster 2 ?

What is ballast?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dam. I just picked up a couple of these for a good price.
http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...r_SS_Coil.aspx
are they really that bad? Just till I switch to cop?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes they really are crap coils. The blast 2 will last a long time but there nothign special and yes they work but again not a great performance coil IMO.

Maybe on paper there great compared to others and stock but im speaking from personal experience with them and they fail and have no spark energy compared to others. This is my experience. Im currently running a summit cdi box with crane ps92 coil and ignitor bypass and love my system. larger plug gaps give a better burn

Quick Reply: Msd plugs wires?