Notices

msd inline fuel pump proper installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd inline fuel pump proper installation

well after searching i cant come to a conclusion, some say run it underneath your gas tank and others say run it between your fuel filter and fuel rail. also on a web site i searched it says to remove the stock pump and replace with a tube and only the external pump(in line) just wondering if any body know the proper way of installation. my set up is d15 j spec, fmu(i know), t3 turbo running 7-8 psi. Personal experience's with similar set up would be helpful.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It should go between the fuel filter and fuel rail. Leave the stock in-tank as-is.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: (bubs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It should go between the fuel filter and fuel rail. Leave the stock in-tank as-is. </TD></TR></TABLE> im not talking smack or anything but is that a proven fact or your personal opinion
Old 07-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (h kid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> im not talking smack or anything but is that a proven fact or your personal opinion</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a proven fact
Old 07-13-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: (PrettyLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrettyLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its a proven fact</TD></TR></TABLE>
do you have a site to prove that it is a fact to install the in line between the fuel rail and filter wile using an fmu? so i can believe you, or does any body else want to chyme in.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have mine mounted inline between the fuel filter and fuel rail. its a proven fact. type in " inline pump install" in the search bar and click the archived bubble.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (H22 CD5)

thats what i did before i made a post and there are the ppl that say that inline pumps push fuel not suck so it should be underneath the gas tank otherwise it strains the inline pump, and others say to do it your way.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive always installed them between the filter and rail. never had a problem with them... but than again..i never tried to "max out" my setup with an inline pump/stock intank combo..

it would be pretty slick to have it mounted back at the tank, where the rubber lines are.. then its one less thing in the engine bay. just gotta run a few wires back to the pump.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

also when i got it from summit it said the pump wasn't legal for street use, you think the cali pigs will give you **** about it if they see it in the engine bay?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:23 PM

The inline pump should be mounted in the engine bay, before the rail. Ive done this mod on a turbo Mustang before.
But why did you get the inline anyway ? Why not a 255lph hp Walboro ???
Old 07-14-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: (PK SPEED)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PK SPEED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The in line pump should be mounted in the engine bay, before the rail. Ive done this mod on a turbo Mustang before.
But why did you get the in line anyway ? Why not a 255lph hp Walboro ???</TD></TR></TABLE> im using an fmu, and every one says its better to use an in line because of high pressure
Old 07-14-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> im using an fmu, and every one says its better to use an in line because of high pressure</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, that is true. we tried it without the inline pump, and just used the walbro 255, and the fuel pressure just wast there with the fmu.... the fmu makes the walbro work tooo hard on its own, its better to have both pumps helping eachother.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you still need confirmation, here are the official directions for the Prelude rev-hard turbo kit which comes with an fmu and fuel pump. It also says to put it between the filter and rail..

http://www.revhard.com/support...s.pdf
Old 07-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bubs)

[QUOTE=bubs]If you still need confirmation, here are the official directions for the Prelude rev-hard turbo kit which comes with an fmu and fuel pump. It also says to put it between the filter and rail..[QUOTE=bubs]

They tell you that because thats the easy place to put it. Not saying not to put it their, it does work. If it was me, I would put it back by that gas tank, that where I have mine. Inline fuel pumps work way better pushing the fuel rather than pulling the fuel. Also, if you do use a Inline WITH your intank, make sure you remove the check valve in the oultet side of the Inline fuel pump. You can use a small screwdriver and pull it out.

Good luck with the fuel pump!
Old 07-14-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
do you have a site to prove that it is a fact to install the in line between the fuel rail and filter wile using an fmu? so i can believe you, or does any body else want to chyme in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: (dustin)

i would think you would put the pump between filter and FR, hence y its called an "inline" pump, and i think u do have to leave ur intank in also. has anyone run a setup with no intank, just to clarify?
Old 07-14-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (RudeLude)

Has anybody thought of this. If you mount the inline pump between the stock pump and rail what would happen if the stock pump decided to give out. If it does give out can fuel be bypassed throught the broken pump or will the fuel be stuck in the lines at the stock pump?
Old 07-14-2005, 03:37 PM

Default Re: (msmotorsports)

thanks for all the help guys, well i ended up going the easy route and installing it betwwen the fuel rail and filter, but im not sure were i should get power from, should i just make a toggle switch to the battery or does it need to be conected to the ecu?
Old 07-14-2005, 04:06 PM

i have an eg is it ok to hook it up to the yellow green wire from the main relay?
Old 07-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h kid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have an eg is it ok to hook it up to the yellow green wire from the main relay?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should be OK.. I know that's the correct wire on an Integra, I assume it would be the same for an eg. A slightly better way would be to use a relay, but tapping into that wire will probably work just as well.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:38 PM

Yeah, i put an MSD inline in my 1995 civic. Spliced it right into the yellow and green wire from the main relay. Works perfectly.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Re: (95civ)

well i finally got it all done, thanks alot guy and gals, one cuick question thoug, is the pump suposed to be preety loud when its on, i can here the damn thing at idle when im in the car, is that normal?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:31 PM

lol, yes it is normal.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya those r loud as hell i used some big rubber mount..kinda like a c clamp with rubber on it..made it a little quiter and it mounts it good...enjoy the boost
Old 07-15-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wrap a piece of dynamate (sp?) around it. The stuff the stero guys use! Works GREAT!

Quick Reply: msd inline fuel pump proper installation