Notices

MSD 3 bar which one to get?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD 3 bar which one to get?

i see that there are 2 different versions of the MSD 3 bar map sensors.

one is the Compact Model, PN 23131 and the other one is a normal version MAP PN 2313.

which is the correct one to get? what is the difference?

i need one fast by this thursday and my local NOPI carries both of them

the compact version is 79 bux and the normal version is 70 dollars..

any thoughts?

*** edit.. i just found this pic online... it shows 2 sensors i suppose the one that looks like the GM one is the normal one and the smaller one that looks funky is the compat one?

Old 11-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get the regular one anc call it a day... I dont know how you would use the other one anyway, short of fabbing some custom **** on your intake or something
Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 AM
B A N N E D

Id go with Something else Besides the MSD.. Ive never had success with MSD.. 3 coils, 1 Digital 6 box, 1 6al box all failed. MSD has been nothing but a headache for me.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD 3 bar which one to get? (Nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i see that there are 2 different versions of the MSD 3 bar map sensors. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I was wondering the same thing as well. I just recently purchased a msd 3bar (pn#23131) the "compact model". Now I'm wondering if I bought the wrong one.

This is pn# 2313. They note this as stock style.

Here's pn# 23131. This is the one I bought. They note that this is for MSD controls.

My question is would or would it not work on my setup? I'm not running any MSD controls but I already have the 3bar pn#23131.

Any insight on this???
Old 11-29-2006, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD 3 bar which one to get? (Team_Carnage)

see that doesnt make sense. i dont even see a different between the normal version and the compact version other than thet compact version has the white MSD lettering on it.

if what you are sowing is the normal and compact version then what the hell is the other thing in the pic i posted above.. lol
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD 3 bar which one to get? (Nextelbuddy)

Normal is for use with boosted cars without any MSD boxes.

Compact is for use with boosted cars with MSD boxes.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My guess is the cheaper one is acutally the GM 3bar, and the other a sensor from some other company. If you look at the GM 3bar in this link, you'll be thinking the same thing:

http://hhscott.com/93tmv/3-bar_map2.htm
Old 11-29-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team_Carnage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I was wondering the same thing as well. I just recently purchased a msd 3bar (pn#23131) the "compact model". Now I'm wondering if I bought the wrong one.

This is pn# 2313. They note this as stock style.

Here's pn# 23131. This is the one I bought. They note that this is for MSD controls.

My question is would or would it not work on my setup? I'm not running any MSD controls but I already have the 3bar pn#23131.

Any insight on this???</TD></TR></TABLE>

It will work. As long as the part number designates a 3 bar, it's fine. Normal, compact, same thing. The only major difference may be the plug. The sensor for MSD controls has a slightly different connector, but nothing to worry about.

MSD doesn't make these sensors, they're made by the same company that makes them for GM.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MSD 3 bar which one to get? (Phoenix1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Phoenix1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It will work. As long as the part number designates a 3 bar, it's fine. Normal, compact, same thing. The only major difference may be the plug. The sensor for MSD controls has a slightly different connector, but nothing to worry about.

MSD doesn't make these sensors, they're made by the same company that makes them for GM.</TD></TR></TABLE>
See I don't know about that. I called MSD and ask about the two map sensor. He basically said that both were practically the same however, the compact model is designed for setups using a msd box of any sort. He also said that I couldn't use the compact one on my setup seeing that I'm not using a msd box. You're right about the msd not making these sensors though.

If someone on here has actually ran a compact 3 bar msd sensor without a msd box I would like to hear.