Notices

MMT buildup and Torco accelerator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMT buildup and Torco accelerator?

Unleaded race gas is very hard to come by and I don't want the added complication of water injection so I think I am going to go with Torco accelerator. The thing is, Torco, like most octane boosters has a big slug of MMT which builds up in the cylinders over time and can cause detonation. This concerns me. Do you think the MMT buildup can be taken care of with like a yearly seafoam or something? Anyone have experience with Torco?

http://www.need4speedpower.com/torco.html?gclid=CJrdxISTlJcCFQhdswodhzMbnw

Sorry, wasn't sure exactly where to post this.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't understand why unleaded is so hard to come by. Where do you live? I live in a small town in NC, and there are two gas stations that sell 106 at the pump.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Olathe and Pittsburg KS, eastern part of KS. Haven't found any yet.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you only needing it for races at the strip? If so you can usually get places to order it in 5 gallon drums.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Icon6

Honestly, I don't think you've looked hard enough. Avation fuel for private planes will NOT be leaded, but will usually be around 100. Planes tend to suck gas, so they will have huge amounts of it, and have a good source. Your best bet is to contact local tracks (by local I mean nearest), since they will either have some, or know where to get it.

As for the additive crap, I would not go with it. Its too expensive and works with additives that tend to have lots of negatives.

BTW I'd recommend you go with E85 than the mixed crap. Its around 104 octane, which is what Torco says their stuff can make, but also burns cooler. Its also much cheaper than mixing gasoline. There are many stations throughout your state, here are a couple:

http://www.ksgrains.com/ethanol/e85.html
Old 11-27-2008, 06:25 PM

Isn't e85 corrosive to the fuel system?, I would have to run 100% e85 atleast to get the octane I want, I would need alot more fuel because it leans out the AFRs and I would make less power because it has less BTUs. Also this is a daily driven car. I would go with water injection before I went with e85 I think.

As for lower burn temperatures, Torco is very good stuff from the what I have seen, it lowers EGTs drastically and it is very cheap. 16 dollars more to turn 10 gallons of 93 into 105 or 91 into 103 (shipping included) and thats if you buy it in bottles, if you buy the 5 gallon drum it's even cheaper.

The big negative of Torco is MMT and I was hoping to hear some more feedback about running MMT occasionaly.

If I can find unleaded race gas for cheap I'd love to run that, that's a good idea to contact the drag strip. What is this about running Avgas? If it's unleaded, high enough octane and cheap then cool but I think I would have a hard time getting a hold of that.

Originally Posted by neoc03
Are you only needing it for races at the strip? If so you can usually get places to order it in 5 gallon drums.
If you are refering to Torco then finding places to buy it isn't a problem.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MMT buildup and Torco accelerator?

I have been using the Torco Accelerator with my H22 turbo setup. The best fuel we can get here in St. John's, NL, Canada is 91 at the pump, and that's 10% methenol, so its not as good as the 91 you can get at better gas stations in the US like Shell for example. I liked it so much that I became an authorized dealer for Torco products here, and so far so good. I too would like to see some more Tuners testing its limits on the Dynos with various cars like we drive on the street so it will give us an idea of what its true capabilities are. My car made 373HP, and 360TQ at 17psi on a local Dyno Dynamics Dyno here which is the ONLY Dyno we have available to us with NO trained professionals to tune our cars, so I went a little higher on the mix to 100oct as a safety measure to not do any damage from detonation, but I never had any problems with detonation, and I did have some ignition timing issues.