Notices

Lsvtec turbo noob

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsvtec turbo noob

Alright so I'm looking into turboing my lsv ek hatch... Got a 4k budget I'm trying to work with. My goal is around 300hp but I need to this to be reliable because this car is my DD. I'm not 100 percent sure if I'm running stock internals. I don't think I am, but I want to play it safe. I've been doing a lot of research lately and I still have some questions that I need somebody on here to help me out with.

I know psi doesn't mean ****, but in the "COMPLETE HOW TO TURBOCHARGE YOUR HONDA THREAD" he states that you only need a 2or3 bar map sensor if your going to go higher than 10 psi... His set up is set at 10psi and he still changed the map sensor? Is it recommended that I get a new map sensor?

Also, trim and the a/r ratios are all new to me. I understand that a smaller trim will be spool up faster and a larger trim will take more time to spool up, but would it be better to go with a smaller trim or larger trim for a daily driver?
The GO-AUTOWORKS turbo street kit has the option to come with the turbonetics t3 super 60 .63 a/r or the t3/t04b .63 a/r. It says t3/t04b is capable of a little more horsepower for only $85 more but I still don't see the major difference because its the same a/r ratio? Is there anybody with this kit on there daily driver? Reliable? Any input or advise would really be appreciated. I really want to do this right. I'm not about spending money on cheap eBay parts or just rushing into things.

I plan on updating to hondata s300, arp head bolts, Walboro 255 fuel pump and new injectors, but what size injectors would be best for this set up? Sorry for such a long post with all of these questions. And btw, I HAVE TRIED THE SEARCH BUTTON....MANY TIMES.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Lsvtec turbo noob

Looks like you are starting off MUCH better than most.

$4k isn't going to be enough to turbo and build the engine. Your stock bottom end is fine for 300whp goal assuming you have a reputable tuner. The MAP sensor only needs to be upgraded if you need to go above your power level to reach your goals. If I were in your shoes, I would pick his basic street kit with the cast manifold with either the Super 60 option or upgrade to the GT2860RS or 71... Given, the latter would require a bit more plumbing and probably bring the price closer to $2,600 or so...

Either way, in a very basic nutshell the exhaust A/R just tells you if the turbo will be better or top end or bottom end. In your situation a .63 AR is your best bet and will provide the broadest power range. As far as injectors you are going to need 550cc+ preferably. There are calculations but to keep base fuel pressure and duty cycle acceptable this is what you want.

If you want ultimate reliability stick with a name brand turbo like Garrett and don't cheap out on injectors either. Some ID1000 would be nice (since the lower cc ones are same price)...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly... I'd 1000 and a Garrett 50 trim would be ideal. Lsv is dead reliable till 350 most say. Even a 57 trim you will be happy. Budget is great dont forget the clutch!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To roughly gauge injector size, you need ~6cc/whp. If you want to make 300whp, you need 300x6 or 1800cc of fuel. Divide that by 4 injectors and you have ~450cc but those are going to be cutting it close. Based on this, you can at least approximate your fuel needs. Personally, I wouldn't go with 1000cc's unless you're running e85. Smaller, more appropriately-sized injectors will idle and run better than larger injectors.

As for A/R, N3vA summed it up well. Typically for Honda setups, people run .63ar turbine housings unless it is a drag car. A 50 or 57 trim T3/T04e .63 ar would be a good turbo for your goals. There are others available, but the aforementioned are the entry-level so to speak.

OEM Map sensors read 1.8bar...1 bar of atmospheric pressure and .8bar (~10.6psi) of positive pressure. Anything higher than this requires a new map sensor. Remember when considering a map sensor that you must account for 1bar atmospheric pressure...meaning a 3bar map only reads 2bar of pressure
Old 05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Looks like you are starting off MUCH better than most.

$4k isn't going to be enough to turbo and build the engine. Your stock bottom end is fine for 300whp goal assuming you have a reputable tuner. The MAP sensor only needs to be upgraded if you need to go above your power level to reach your goals. If I were in your shoes, I would pick his basic street kit with the cast manifold with either the Super 60 option or upgrade to the GT2860RS or 71... Given, the latter would require a bit more plumbing and probably bring the price closer to $2,600 or so...

Either way, in a very basic nutshell the exhaust A/R just tells you if the turbo will be better or top end or bottom end. In your situation a .63 AR is your best bet and will provide the broadest power range. As far as injectors you are going to need 550cc+ preferably. There are calculations but to keep base fuel pressure and duty cycle acceptable this is what you want.

If you want ultimate reliability stick with a name brand turbo like Garrett and don't cheap out on injectors either. Some ID1000 would be nice (since the lower cc ones are same price)...
As far as a tuner goes I was thinking about iveytune in north jersey. From what I've heard, I hear that he is one of the best tuners on the east coast. I know that he mostly does evos; but I have spoke to him personally and he said that he could tune a lsvtec engine up to 400-450 hp with no problem on stock internals? That seemed really high for stock internals? Also, he said the tune would be $600? Looking for a good tuner is something that I have not yet looked into. I've been more focused on a good turbo set up. If anybody could recommend a good tuner in New Jersey that would be great!
Old 05-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for your input everyone. I think I will go with 550cc injectors the t3/t04b 57 trim. Also, I have a gsr trans. Will I still need to get a new clutch? I really don't want to have to pay for that
Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Man U FTW

If you dont put a new clutch in, you will eventually need to...the stock clutch wont like that kind of power for long. Do yourself a favor and replace it up front before toasting it on the dyno, which at $150/hr becomes an expensive hiccup rather quickly. Honda clutches are dirt cheap anyway...$3-400 for a decent one. I wish clutches for my STi were that cheap
Old 05-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess I'll have to save some more money. I'm looking to go through with all of this towards the end of the summer
Old 05-21-2013, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Injector Dynamic 1000cc injectors idle like stock (maybe better) on my set-up and are only at 51% duty cycle at stock base pressure for roughly 300whp so I have room to grow later.

On the parts you can get away with go big so you only have to buy once.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
My Injector Dynamic 1000cc injectors idle like stock (maybe better) on my set-up and are only at 51% duty cycle at stock base pressure for roughly 300whp so I have room to grow later.

On the parts you can get away with go big so you only have to buy once.
I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks again everybody for all of your help. If there is anything that you feel like I'm missing don't be afraid to say it!