Notices

LS/VTEC SC61??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC SC61??

okay well i've been searchin pretty hard, and couldnt really find anyone with a similar setup as i. basically, before i buy this turbo/kit, i wanna know if i will be happy. i've got and 81mm lsvtec with pistons/rods/studs/balanced/blueprinted w/ fully built head all that good stuff. i was reading that the sc61 is quite laggy, but that was with 9:1 CR. i saw people saying that if you raise compression it will spool earlier, more willingly. now im running the JE flatop turbo pistons (netting 10.2:1 CR) with my fully built b16 head. i only plan on running 8-10 psi with this, but im getting a pretty good deal on the kit that comes with a Precision .63A/R SC61. Basically im wondering, will this thing make the power i want without spooling ungodly late? im looking for about 300-350 whp at the most, because i want to daily drive it. the way i look at it is i will stay completely out of boost until i really want to, then you better hang on to you panties! haha. lmk if anyone has any experience with spool time with higher compression ratios on larger turbos, especially on an .63A/R SC61. appreciate it, and sorry for the long post, im new to the turbine world
Old 11-02-2005, 12:14 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: LS/VTEC SC61?? (whiteef8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whiteef8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">okay well i've been searchin pretty hard, and couldnt really find anyone with a similar setup as i. basically, before i buy this turbo/kit, i wanna know if i will be happy. i've got and 81mm lsvtec with pistons/rods/studs/balanced/blueprinted w/ fully built head all that good stuff. i was reading that the sc61 is quite laggy, but that was with 9:1 CR. i saw people saying that if you raise compression it will spool earlier, more willingly. now im running the JE flatop turbo pistons (netting 10.2:1 CR) with my fully built b16 head. i only plan on running 8-10 psi with this, but im getting a pretty good deal on the kit that comes with a Precision .63A/R SC61. Basically im wondering, will this thing make the power i want without spooling ungodly late? im looking for about 300-350 whp at the most, because i want to daily drive it. the way i look at it is i will stay completely out of boost until i really want to, then you better hang on to you panties! haha. lmk if anyone has any experience with spool time with higher compression ratios on larger turbos, especially on an .63A/R SC61. appreciate it, and sorry for the long post, im new to the turbine world </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. I've built several of these projects in which you've exactly described, including one of my own. I'm currently using 9.8:1 compression w/ type R cams still using 9.0:1 pistons (This was for interference clearance issues in case something NASTY were to occur with the timing belt.) Also using a LS Tranny w/ 4.785 final drive and KAAZ LSD for road course use.

No matter what, the SC61 was still laggy, regardless of the compression. I used on an 11.0:1 motor and the results were SLIGHTLY improved, but still not to where it was responsive in the way that you're thinking. (You're logic isn't bad, but it doesn't work the same way you think.)

I found that the GT3257 and GT30R were amuch better choice to use than any SC61 for the compression and power that you're looking for. That SC61 is a bit overkill from my design standpoint. I'll PM you w/ some pics. As a designer with many Garrett, Switzer ( or as I call them Sweetzer ) KKK, and other turbo companies, I have the knowledge of knowing that specific goals call for specific applications.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC SC61?? (TheShodan)

that turbo sounds sick, where can i buy one? and who wants to purchase a .63A/R sc61 w/ less than 2k. miles on it? haha keep the responses coming people!! would like to know other people's experience....

ps. thanks for all the valuable info shodan, i definately want to look into that turbo much more, how much does it cost and where could i get one? thanks again for all the help...
Old 11-02-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC SC61?? (whiteef8)

I'm running 81.5mm ls/vtec with sc61. The sc61 is laggy. I'm switching over to sc50 ball bearing.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: LS/VTEC SC61?? (porsche997dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by whiteef8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that turbo sounds sick, where can i buy one? and who wants to purchase a .63A/R sc61 w/ less than 2k. miles on it? haha keep the responses coming people!! would like to know other people's experience....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by porsche997dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm running 81.5mm ls/vtec with sc61. The sc61 is laggy. I'm switching over to sc50 ball bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why not just throw a BB CHRA on the SC61 that you guys have now? I haven't looked into the pricing for converting it over, but I will probably convert my SC61 to BB in the future, if the price is good enough. Upgrade to a BB center and you pretty much have yourself a GT35, with very few minor differences.

Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 AM

^^^^ Because what everyone doesn't understand is that "BB" center section is only on ONE side of the CHRA design. It is not a FULL conversion that has the most important part of the ball-bearing efficiency system, which is the main thrust bearing. That is still journal with these conversions. They also still don't make up for the characteristics of better efficiency for the turbo itself. It HELPS, but it is not a full replacement as marketing has led people to believe. Marketing has led to these inferences, just make sure you understand the "Fine Print" of it all.

Get the REAL THING, or don't, but these conversions are not NECESSARILY the answer.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (TheShodan)

Hmmm...interesting. You are taking about the thrust bearing (270 or 360 degrees) right? What would the disadvantages of running a journal type thrust be as opposed to a thrust bearing meant specifically for BB's? does it affect spool time at all? or is it just the turbo's longevity?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmmm...interesting. You are taking about the thrust bearing (270 or 360 degrees) right? What would the disadvantages of running a journal type thrust be as opposed to a thrust bearing meant specifically for BB's? does it affect spool time at all? or is it just the turbo's longevity? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I am... There aren't really any Disadvantages between the two, but not any real advantages, either. If there is any more efficiency in any spool characteristics, its going to be more of a by-product to assist (may be a couple of hundred of rpms) with the BB Journal side, and would really assist really in more of longevity than anything else.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

bump, theres gotta be more people out there who've experienced this, want to know if i should really spend more money (300-400 after if i sell my sc61) on a turbo from ^^ shodan, or rock the sc61 on about 10 psi...please if you have any input, post it...