Notices

ls and type r gearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls and type r gearing

What's going on everyone. I have a little problem......I broke the teeth off of my tranny counter shaft that meets with the diff ring gear (itr tranny with a quaife lsd). I have access to an ls counter shaft laying around. My question is....can I get the ls shaft to work with my itr gearing and will I benefit from a set up like that for the drag strip? Also what else will I need as far as parts? Everyone's advice or help will be appreciated. Thanks. Oh, btw, the car's a turbo eg with a 1.8 vtec motor.

Modified by 1bad-eg at 10:34 AM 4/6/2006
Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls and type r gearing (1bad-eg)

I know somebody knows something out there?
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: ls and type r gearing (1bad-eg)

Hey man, Your inluck... cause i just did something similar with the EXACT same setup. But you may not have good luck with what you are trying to do.

I have both, a ITR trans with stock LSD and a LS tranny. The ITR tranny gearing was too low so i took it out and stuck in the LS (soon to be boosted so this is why i want long gears). I decided to take this setup to the track to run it witha set of BFG's to see wat 60 ft i could get. Well I had been launching at 4k RPMs and had been pulling 2.2' (which is bad ) so i decided to launch at 6k and well lets just say the Diff didnt hold up. It cracked the case in half and destroyed everything but the gears. So i took the apart so i could swap the gears to the ITR trans w/ LSD. I looked like the Countershaft should just slide into place, but it kept binding. It would fit in with a lil force but wouldnt freely spin. After inspecting i relized that the LSD and Countershaft from the ITR had worn a pattern together and the LS wasn't meant with the LSD. So i had to swap my gears to the ITR countershaft. and Everything has worked perfectly.... So i guess what im saying is you may have luck doing this (being as the Countershaft from the USDM ITR and LS should be the same) but you may end up with the same problem as i did and have to do some searching.. Also this makes me think. You have a Aftermarket LSD so you may get lucky. IF you need any Instructions or measurments While doing this IM me because i have a rebuild manual for a Hydro Tranny... let me know.... Hope this helps