Notices

LS turbo and engine rebuild Q's

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS turbo and engine rebuild Q's

This is more limited to my situation so don't worry it isn't just another ls turbo thread.

I've got a gen 2 Integra LS with approx. 182,000 miles on it. The motor runs strong and the compression is good. I use it as a daily driver and I drive it a lot.

My plans for it is to buy a longblock and to rebuild it for a turbo setup. I'm going to work over the engine with about $3,000 worth of parts so it's rock solid. Then build a turbo kit and boost.

What I'm not sure of is if it is worth building the turbo kit first and putting it on my current high mileage engine or is it smarter to just do the engine first, and run it N/A until my kit is bought. And if I do boost this engine I have now how long will it last and how much boost can I put through it?

I am more partial to putting the whole shabang together at once so everything is new but I want to boost now lol. I do not however want to ruin my motor because it's the only transportation I have right now.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS turbo and engine rebuild Q's (WhitEdRift)

i boosted my 98 ls when i had 140k on it. Now it has 170k and i have a fully built ls going in, But now my motor burns a quart of oil every 1k miles because the rings are weak but 30k of boosting 10psi on a daily driver is awesome. So if your motor doesnt burn oil then boost it for a while and have fun with it. I bought a 91 ls longblock for 80 dollars and now its fully built.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: LS turbo and engine rebuild Q's (jdmhonda)

If you say your compression is good then go ahead and boost it while you wait. Just don't get crazy and push any limits like some do. I'd say stick with around 250whp and you'll be good. You can do more, but I wouldn't. Earl's deal for engine builds is like a little under $3000. You send him the block and he'll sleeve it and put rods and pistons in as well (actually I don't know if he actually "installs" them, but you get them). Stay with a good EMS....get something you'll use for your next setup too, so AEM EMS/Uberdata/Neptune/Hondata...etc and you'll be fine till you get you r engine built up
Old 05-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: LS turbo and engine rebuild Q's (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you say your compression is good then go ahead and boost it while you wait. Just don't get crazy and push any limits like some do. I'd say stick with around 250whp and you'll be good. You can do more, but I wouldn't. Earl's deal for engine builds is like a little under $3000. You send him the block and he'll sleeve it and put rods and pistons in as well (actually I don't know if he actually "installs" them, but you get them). Stay with a good EMS....get something you'll use for your next setup too, so AEM EMS/Uberdata/Neptune/Hondata...etc and you'll be fine till you get you r engine built up</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats pretty much what im thinking

carfax says my motor has about 205k. it burned oil before i put the turbo kit on, now it stopped burning oil, and the compression went up from roughly 180 to right on the money 190 across(weird, but true) after about 1500 miles.

just make sure that the turbo parts you buy will work with the built motor( ie get some big injectors like 550's or larger, good management..ya know stuff like that.)
Old 05-10-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: LS turbo and engine rebuild Q's (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
just make sure that the turbo parts you buy will work with the built motor( ie get some big injectors like 550's or larger, good management..ya know stuff like that.)</TD></TR></TABLE>

good point...Actually get 750cc's since they are the same price
Old 05-10-2005, 11:14 PM

Sweeeet thanks guys. Since my the engine I'm using now and the engine going in are the same model I think the transition of turbo parts from one motor to the next should be icing on the cake. I'll have to see what I can afford during this summer season. Gonna go do my research on fuel management so I know what I'm doing before I break my bank.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is fully built/assembled also