Notices

LS big turbo build help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS big turbo build help?

I have a 91 HB that i am building. my engine is a B18A1 I need advice on what turbo i should use and fuel system.
B18A1 block:
Darton sleeves bored to 2.1Liter
Crower stroker kit 92mm stroke 85mm bore
CP puck style Pistons 9.0:1
Carrillo H beam rods
Crower crank entire rotating assembly balanced to 1/100th of a gram
acl bearings
CTR crank pully
ITR oil pump
Morosa oil pan
entire bottom end WPC treated
competition clutch twin disc

PR4 head:
full port and polish
crower dual spring and titanium retainer kit (WPC treated)
crower stage 2 turbo cam shafts (WPC treated)
crower stainless steel 31mm intake and exhuast valves
buddy club cam gears
greddy timing belt
super tech bronze valve guides
edelbrock intake manifold
70mm throttle body

any other advice would be greatly appreaciated and advice on a good fuel setup and turbo setup would be great. im looking into 35R, precision 6265, or precision 6262. my hp goals are in the high 600 range but 700+ would be amazing
Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: LS big turbo build help?

i think you should ditch the turbo grind and go with a 403/404 all motor cam.

i hear mixed reviews on the ctr crank pulley. look into using it more
Old 01-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CRT crank pulleys are notorious for shattering oil pumps. Run stock one or ati. 85mm bore on boost might be a. Head gasket issue. I would upgrade to 1/2" studs and if there is any room on the sleeve oring The block

Turbo cams are very limiting with an ls. It's going to take wild cams and a big turbo to reach 700. A 6262 on an ls motor with big cams is going to max out around 600 at 30ish psi

Your going to need to run 6766 or larger turbo.and I don't know that 85mm bore is going to be ok running that kind of boost and power i hope you mean 31mm intake and 29mm exhaust even then valve overl has to be closely watched when assembling and this motor should be clayed to ensure no v2v issues
Old 01-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the engine build is good to go. its very strong and built very well. im not worried about the engine im just asking for suggestions on a turbo and fuel system. it has arp studs for the mains, head, and rod rod bolts.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your asking for help and that's what I offered. I'm telling you from experience that head gaskets can be an issues with boost and 85mm due to very little material between the cylinders. Walbro 400 intank with a Bosch 044 inline work very well with some 1000's and higher base pressure for over 700whp on race gas if ethanol then you will need larger injectors

Turbo wise 6766 with .82 or larger housing. Possibly t4 for the extra flow. Personally I would contact Theshodan and tell him the setup and goal and he can Taylor a turbo for the application. And again on the cams turbo cams aren't going to cut it. You need crower 404's or jg303's.

I'm pretty sure the record stands at 693whp on an ls with a t3/t67 ho a few years back, that setup ran a p75 head worked to the hills and crower 404 cams
Old 01-29-2012, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the 85 was a typo i ment to put 84mm and ill see what that guy thinks. thanks for the advice. thats similar to what i was thinking on the fuel setup. and i dunno about the cams. i called crower and they said that they would work great but i dunno
Old 01-29-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The crower turbo cams do work great but are goi g to limit you to about 7700-7850rpmand your going to need about 8500 with a big turbo to make that kind of power along with a good boost control with gate pressure settings to keep the gate closed longer to help spool the turbo
Old 01-29-2012, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well see i was thinking differently due to the fact that im non vtec i should start pulling power around 4000. so i shouldnt need to rev as high as a vtec motor. i could be wrong though
Old 01-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've run the crower turbo cams, I'm telling you from experience with a big turbo like that it doesn't spool early even on an ls motor. You will have to rev that high and be prepared to adjust your valve lash often
Old 01-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. so you were saying that the highest ls power youve seen is 693?
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I forget his name on here but he is the highest I can recall and he since sold his setup and went vtec. I was going for 700 whp back in the day with ls but ran into block issues and after replacing pistons four times I gave up cause sleeves kept sinking its a long story. I got to 500 with a t4 super 60 and never got to run my gt3567r to its potential. On the last go around with that block I got up to about 400 and it let gosh said screw it
Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just stayed ls cuz i feel like nobody ever does it anymore. i would be happy with 600hp but if i can break 700 then that would be amazing.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Plenty of people doing ls man. Check out the ls-t thred. I went vtec a few years ago. I got tired of running the ls after years of problems. I put my built head on a stock short lock and ran that for a while at a little over 300whp then the ringlands let go so I decided to build a GSR with ls crank and rods
Old 01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill check it out
Old 01-30-2012, 12:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go with the delts 272 regrind thats whats in mine and it pulls all the way to 8500. supposedly they measure out to be inbetween 403 and 404's. Great cams for the cost. I have similar with the head but 32mm intake valves.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ugh...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a dyne graph for those delta cams?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a dyno graph for those delta cams?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:19 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

IF you're looking at high 600whp and low 700whp for this application ( at 84mm X 92mm), you really might need to step up even higher than your choices that you're looking at here. I mean, in an effort to be different, you also slightly limited your possibilities in turbocharger choice and need based upon the PR4 head. Now don't get me wrong, that head has some great torque characteristics that allow for the engine to make torque similar to an evolution, especially if over 1998ccs. The drawback is that it takes a LOT to be able to get a good sized turbo to behave the same way as a VTEC head does simply due to the differences in CFM of the head alone. (Yes, even with Crower 401 or 404 camshafts, port/polish , and all the trimmings..) you're looking at a tall order.

Now, for example. Lighteningteg in his Fully built LS with a REAPER turbocharger, (similar to a Precision 6262 but with a slight larger exducer compressor wheel) was dealing with some power limitations in essence of about Integra LS 513whp/366trq 30lbs of boost pressure, and though it was extremely torquey and fun with the Crower 404 cams and valvetrain, even he admitted there was just not enough in that head to do what needed to be done. IIRC, I use him as the best example because he's one of the highest HP Straight LS platforms I've seen on this forum in a bit. (If there are others please announce yourself). He still had a few difficulties catching stock K20 Turbo cars with a similar sized turbo.

I think these are 2 vids of him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V-DmLIvwdI

vs. a K20 Turbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxjQu...7&feature=plcp

This was only 430whp against some mustang or whatever. More than does the job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZGB_...5&feature=plcp

What I mean to say with all of this, is if you truly want to stay LS and get this type of goal you're going to need to do one of 2 additional things. 1) Get that head worked like it was with a $2 *****, and 2) Time to get the turbo larger at about 70lbs/min-88lbs/min.. like in the 67mm range, whether it be Precision, Garrett, Turbonetics, whatever. But be warned: you will not by any means be responsive by any definition of the word: If you think VTEC engines get laggy and peaky with a large turbo, you're going to feel about twice that effect with this large turbo idea. Regardless of your increase in stroke.

Honestly, some of the best straight LS turbo cars that I've ever seen strike fear into the hearts of K-series, Evolutions and the like, are with SMALLER turbochargers that took advantage of the torque characteristics of the LS, including your own 92mm stroke. 600-700whp is not going to help you if you can't even keep the 2 wheels to the ground (which you won't no matter what you do), when 400whp-450whp will more than do the job.

I like the energy, but like others have said, its not the most realistic approach, and I see you quickly selling such a large turbo to something more reasonable in a short amount of time.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i havent decided on a turbo yet thats the advice im looking for. i like what your saying im just trying to figure out how to finish this engine. its completely built already
Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by theycallmekevin
i havent decided on a turbo yet thats the advice im looking for. i like what your saying im just trying to figure out how to finish this engine. its completely built already
I think you're missing my point a bit. I'm saying that you need to have a better power goal in mind BEFORE picking the correct turbo. We're advicing against these ridiculously overly large units to something a bit more reasonable for a better overall result. once you do that, THEN you can start picking turbos.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the graph some where have to find it did this about 2 years ago.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by 93ls10.0
I have the graph some where have to find it did this about 2 years ago.
Did.......?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theycallmekevin
B18A1 block:
Crower stroker kit 92mm stroke 85mm bore
CTR crank pully
ITR oil pump

PR4 head:
full port and polish
crower stage 2 turbo cam shafts (WPC treated)
edelbrock intake manifold

any other advice would be greatly appreaciated and advice on a good fuel setup and turbo setup would be great. im looking into 35R, precision 6265, or precision 6262. my hp goals are in the high 600 range but 700+ would be amazing
somehow you sound like an e-racer... but let's assume you really have this setup...

- CTR crank pully: take it off and use it for a paperweight, then get yourself a ATI damper! the CTR pulley will shatter your oilpump with a 92mm stroke! that's not if, it's when! CTR pulley already shatters oil pump with a 87.2 and 89mm stroke

- full port and polish: this does not say **** as long as it's not done by a reputable porter who knows what your trying to achieve. get yourself a better head then the PR4 head to give yourself somewhat of a change. pick up a P8R head from a JDM B20B and get that ported by a reputable porter.

- crower stage 2 turbo cam shafts (WPC treated): sell these, just because they suck as a paperweight these cams are only usefull if you where running a stock ls with a greddy kit. anything other then very restrictive log mani´s and tiny turbo´s, stay the **** away from these, as they choke the life out of you.

- edelbrock intake manifold: wich one?

with the knowledge you have start out by hoping for 400whp... then when you've reached that use your gained knowledge to up your goal. then you'll realize how hard the 600-700whp goal you've set yourself is on a pr4 head, and that it's unreachable with those junk cams...
Old 02-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as my head its port and polished by portflow so its pretty reputable. and the intake manifold is the victor x and its port matched with the head and throttle body

Quick Reply: LS big turbo build help?