Notices

Looking for Input on my Upgrades for boosted B16

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Input on my Upgrades for boosted B16

Hey there, troll in here all the time and have been boosted for roughly 3 years now. Looking for some extra power out of my current internally bone stock B16A2. My turbo setup is a

BMC Log manifold with a 3" downpipe bottlenecked into a 2.5" exhaust
Garrett T3/T04E 57 trim .63 ar turbo
test pipe
DSM 450 injectors
Walbro fuel pump
Tial 38mm wastegate with the small green .5 bar spring
Endyn Breather kit
Treadstone intercooler
1g DSM BOV

When I last tuned I put down 230whp/160tq. I am looking to get into the 275-290whp range on the stock block. I came across some quick deals and am tossing in a set of

ITR cams with valve springs/retainers
set of adjustable cam gears
GM 3 Bar map sensor
Hallman Pro Series Boost Controller
set of BKR7E plugs

I am expecting to need to run roughly 12-13 pounds to reach my goal and am wondering if you guys think I can make it? I am not really looking for suggestions on upgrading my turbo manifold and downpipe as this will probably be my final upgrade for this motor before building something else. Just am looking for some more power for the next year or two on this setup. The motor is strong with solid results from the leakdown. Another question is... How much can I go over the stock wastegate spring and remain dependable (not spike) on the Hallman? Should I pickup the .7bar spring and up from there to reach my goal? I tune through Cresent from c-speedracing up in Bellingham, WA who does wonders on the dyno so an excellent tuner has already been chosen. Thanks fellas!

Last edited by SiBuddy00; 08-03-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking for Input on my Upgrades for boosted B16

23 views and no love? :/
Old 08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm... 45 and still no bueno...
Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dood, go get a retune and turn up the boost. As long as your tuner is up to stuff it will be fine. your exhaust is not even holding you back yet. may need some bigger injectors but your pretty much good to go.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM

DSM 450's are only good for like 275ishwhp. I think!! but really all you need to do is up the boost a few pounds. you didnt say what your boosting now so we dont know how much extra you need to go. But if you need to go about 11psi then put on your 3bar map sensor and just up the boost until you reach your goals. Stock block is good to your power goals, its all in the tune.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the post its listed, I'm runnin .5bar right now. Yea searching around on here some say the DSM's are only capable of 275-280 and some say they are runnin 300+ on them. I'm just looking for some final input before hitting the dyno since money is extremely tight for me right now, I couldn't really even afford the parts I bought, big purple Visa card helped there. This will more and likely be my last tune on this setup and I want to get every ounce of power I can, not have any complications such as the injectors maxing out which happened to me on my last built NA motor. Hmm.... Maybe I'll try hunt a set of RC 550's down.... Thanks for your input thus far! If anyone has anything more on the injectors or anything else, post on!
Old 08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have almost the same setup as you and hit 265 whp on 9 psi. you shouldnt have any problem
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikeymcm
i have almost the same setup as you and hit 265 whp on 9 psi. you shouldnt have any problem
On DSM 450s? Do you know what your duty cycle was at?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your current setup has 2 factors limiting power: (1) Injectors, 450s are good to 300 but the duty cycle/ pressure increase needed to achieve this is undesireable, so a set of 880, 750, 1000 would be a good first start. (2) your exhaust isnt bad, but you could prob see some substantial gains going to a 3" mandrel setup with a few more pounds of boost added, again get yourself a good tune and really injectors is all you need to get well into the 300s.

Age old notion though, more power you make, the more likely you are to start breaking stuff, so just keep that in mind if this is a daily driver.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, I have been building NA motors all my life and just put the 450s in the back of my head and figured they would always be sufficient. You all sold me and since I need to be on the dyno in less than 2 weeks, I am going to order up a set of new injectors and forget about it. I am thinking of ordering up the RC 550's. This may be a nonsense question here but... I have never researched anything passed the DSM 450s. I already have the resister box wired in but obviously can easily be removed. Is there any performance difference between the Saturated and Peak and Hold injectors on a Honda? Would you recommend swooping up the Saturated and getting rid of the resistor box or peak and hold and just tossing them in with the resistor box? As for the exhaust, I would like to upgrade but just out of my financial reach at the moment. Maybe next summer. Yea ****.. breaking stuff is never fun, but more power is un-replaceable. Cost money to have fun!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am running 660's on my d16 and they are still small lol. Dont be a puss get some 880's or something. this way you have alot of room to grow. You wont break **** if your tuner is good, and your setup isnt half assed. people have made like 500+ on these motors bone stock. there for 300 is more than safe as long as it is tuned properly.

get some bigger injectors, and turn up the boost while tuning . you will be satisfied.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as performance issues between saturated and peak and hold, I'm not sure if there are any??? saturated are "plug and play" whereas you have to run the resistor box for the peak and hold...

go with bigger injectors ... you can always use them in your next build too give yourself something to grow into!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

everything looks good, the stock pistons will be your weak link, ringlands let go first on a well tuned stock block. it's hit and miss, so either you will be good or you will need that new rebuild. DSMs will be good to 300hp peak. if your tuner is as good as you think you will be fine with the DSMs for that power level.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ehhh I have seen my tuners car make some pretty good power with stock b16. It litteraly is all in the tune. the time the fuel and spark take place as well as how much fuel to air(a/f) and then timing as to when it is all ignited is a HUGE DEAL! Personally I watched this stock b16 with a t3/t4 on it for years. they started off 5 years ago putting down 330ish. then upped it to 17psi and were making around 400whp for 3 years. Then they upped it to 30psi with E85 I believe and were making right around 500whp. Surprisingly what went first was the sleeves and I strongly believe that it was because it was tuned so good.

Believe me or not. here is a vid of it vs. a built k20. (Street racing video removed by Dogginator)

Last edited by Dogginator; 08-06-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be able to get to your power goal with 10psi of boost. The DSM's will not take you there though. On my car when I was at the dyno I made a 274whp pull and the duty cycle on the injectors was 99%. Ok to push to once or twice but not recommended to do all the time, I agree with everyone else and just get yourself a set of 750's or 880's. Later when you decide to go further with your set-up, it will be one less thing you will need to change.

Your spring should also be fine up to 10psi. I have the same wastegate/spring and I have been running it at 12psi without any spiking issues. If you do decide to run more than double spring pressure it is recommended you upgrade though.

Have fun !
Old 08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bigger injectors for sure, would consider upgrading the exhaust too and let that turbo breathe some more ( by no means is this going to hold you back from your power goal though )
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alrighty, well I'm ordering up a set of injectors now... At what point are the injectors going to be just too big? Still want the car to idle fine. My tuner is excellent and I have full faith in him, but for pushing around 280-290, how big should I go? 680's? I just feel 750+ is just an overkill, I am not ready to start planning for my next build, just tryin to get this one running perfect.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:55 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Whatever you do just don't be a douche nozzle like "big-cat" and Street Race. All these little clown kids out there street racing should be shot. Take it to the track and slam it into a wall while you are there if it makes you happy. Don't risk killing some family because you think your "mAd VtAk skills" are all in order. Also, it is funny, how do all this kids miss gears all the time, sounds like driving school is needed anyways.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, got a real solid deal on a set of Precision 680s so its all a done deal now. Excited to get on the dyno! I'll post up when all is said and done. Thanks so much everyone for your input and suggestions, if not had been said I would have for sure been heading there with the 440s and possibly running out of injector which would have been quite the damper on the day.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Whatever you do just don't be a douche nozzle like "big-cat" and Street Race. All these little clown kids out there street racing should be shot. Take it to the track and slam it into a wall while you are there if it makes you happy. Don't risk killing some family because you think your "mAd VtAk skills" are all in order. Also, it is funny, how do all this kids miss gears all the time, sounds like driving school is needed anyways.
yea with 20 year old stock transmissions some gears dont go in as smooth as you would expect. actually this street is blocked off and they are doing repairs at the end of it. the road is nearly a mile long. did you see anyone else driving on it? How old are you and how much do you know about cars? This could be classified as a closed in environment the way its blocked off! We street tune on this street as well. Sorry you are jelous and have a slow car or something. I nor anyone I know does not *** around on a street with traffic. If you are not here to help the man with his scenario GTFO!
Old 08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ regardless if it's blocked off or not, it's not legally sanctioned as an off-road racing environment.

680cc injectors should be sufficient for what your power goals are. I made 288 at 8 psi with my RC550s. Going up to 880cc soon for 20psi.