Notices

Looking for feedback on intercooler sprayers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: Looking for feedback on intercooler sprayers

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
I've run a few intercoolers over time and will say Garrett has some nice cores but they will cost you. I've also ran treadstone intercoolers and those have worked just fine for me and would have no problem in recommending those.

However I am currently using a 6 inch thick Vibrant Intercooler core with custom end tanks and have not had any issues at all. Now if you are looking a good middle ground intercooler that works good Treadstone does make some good stuff but then again I have no issues with vibrant either. If you have a good amount of money go with Garrett.
Your location tells me I need to STFU about my piddly-**** 110 IAT. I have drooled over the Garrett cores, then needed some defibrillation after seeing the prices. Do I have the money to spend? Sure. Do I WANT to spend that much? H E L L no lol. If it were a purpose built track star, i'd go all out. I like the idea of a good quality, middle shelf unit like Vibrant or Mishimoto. GAW sent me a link earlier to one of theirs that I may end up getting. The price is not super bad, and it is touted to be good up to 650hp. So, it'll last me a while.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

110 is pretty good. I don’t worry about mine until they hit about 140, then I will avoid hitting full boost until I bring it back down a little.

Also... as for how to get more air to a bigger intercooler... different bumper maybe?

Could probably get more surface area in an OEM bumper cut out to the proper size.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:04 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Your location tells me I need to STFU about my piddly-**** 110 IAT. I have drooled over the Garrett cores, then needed some defibrillation after seeing the prices. Do I have the money to spend? Sure. Do I WANT to spend that much? H E L L no lol. If it were a purpose built track star, i'd go all out. I like the idea of a good quality, middle shelf unit like Vibrant or Mishimoto. GAW sent me a link earlier to one of theirs that I may end up getting. The price is not super bad, and it is touted to be good up to 650hp. So, it'll last me a while.
Funny enough it's the street stuff that uses the Garrett cores most because they don't want to go over this more than once. You keep thinking drag racers use the biggest costs for everything. They don't...

And if it's any consolation, I use a Garrett core in my daily driver NOW. A/c and all.. Never get above 128*F.

Again, read that link, I provided in the stickies...I'm not talking out of my *** as though I'm some turbo "snob" with an endless budget.. I just don't like to do things more than once if I don't have to..

You keep telling us old heads to give write-ups, reasonings, and real information about ****., that's relevant to you. Then when we do, y'all don't read it, and cry "cheap" all day... Which is why it's not done on this forum anymore.

Plus, even the smaller Garretts run things assertions the larger mishimoto /vibrant cores with very little changes to bumper supports.

I just had one guy with a 18x6x3 Garrett make over 548whp before STARTING to heat soak on a 10 year old Garrett core. Try that with a mishimoto​​​.

But I digress. Get a treadstone before that other nonsense. And the end tanks might already be fabbed up for ya.

Last edited by TheShodan; 05-22-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
110 is pretty good. I don’t worry about mine until they hit about 140, then I will avoid hitting full boost until I bring it back down a little.

Also... as for how to get more air to a bigger intercooler... different bumper maybe?

Could probably get more surface area in an OEM bumper cut out to the proper size.
A stock bumper is going to cover more of the IC than this horrendous thing. I can say that it may be ugly and impractical, it does offer some airflow. If you look at the pic, there IS actually some unused space there lol I'd just have to play barber to the damn car parts to get proper fitment.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not untouchable or anything. It gets fairly warm, yeah. The DP is right behind it, but meh. I haven't heat wrapped anything yet, but it is on my to-do list!
Radiated heat its just that, radiation. Air wont help the cooler against it. For example a glowing hot construction H-BAR will burn your face with or without counter wind from 10 meters away.
Buy a cheap heat wrap and just do the closest pipe. And do before after test.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

A stock bumper is going to cover more of the IC than this horrendous thing. I can say that it may be ugly and impractical, it does offer some airflow. If you look at the pic, there IS actually some unused space there lol I'd just have to play barber to the damn car parts to get proper fitment.
Its a heat sink. The bigger the heat sink, the bigger the capacity. Even if its not getting direct air flow, the mass of the IC and efficiency of the core is going to improve when you go bigger regardless.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Its a heat sink. The bigger the heat sink, the bigger the capacity. Even if its not getting direct air flow, the mass of the IC and efficiency of the core is going to improve when you go bigger regardless.
Like everything else, it's a balance with height vs. width of the I/C. Go too large of an I/C with an inefficient radiator, and you could cause more harm than good, as each component fights for air to enter into the sink tho perform its job. That link points that out
Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
A heat sink is designed to absorb and dissipate heat, yes, but If the airflow is insufficient, it wouldn't matter how large the heat sink is, it would be ineffective for its intended purpose. It would actually be counterproductive as it would hold on to the heat it is absorbing; the larger the sink, the more heat it has stored.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:05 AM

A heat sink is designed to absorb and dissipate heat, yes, but If the airflow is insufficient, it wouldn't matter how large the heat sink is, it would be ineffective for its intended purpose. It would actually be counterproductive as it would hold on to the heat it is absorbing; the larger the sink, the more heat it has stored.
depending upon the design of transference. ( plain fin design vs louvered fin design, number of rows per core, '..the list goes on)
Old 05-23-2018, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
depending upon the design of transference. ( plain fin design vs louvered fin design, number of rows per core, '..the list goes on)
You're the expert on these things but, aren't all the fins the same in an IC, just more or less of them (core density)? To MY eye, I've never noticed any difference in the fins between the 2. My particular IC is tube and fin. Proably my biggest issue to cause concern for any potential future issues.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

You're the expert on these things but, aren't all the fins the same in an IC, just more or less of them (core density)? To MY eye, I've never noticed any difference in the fins between the 2. My particular IC is tube and fin. Proably my biggest issue to cause concern for any potential future issues.
No, fin design, type, and count can be completely different.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
No, fin design, type, and count can be completely different.
So which companies use different fin designs? And for what purpose? Which cores?
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So which companies use different fin designs? And for what purpose? Which cores?
What purpose...air speed, pressure drop, cooling efficiency. There are several fin types (at least 5 I can think of off the top in bar/plate coolers) that get used; typically in combination on "nicer" coolers.

Which companies/which cores...I don't know how that could possibly be answered other than saying that there really aren't that many core manufacturers to start with...
Old 05-24-2018, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What purpose...air speed, pressure drop, cooling efficiency. There are several fin types (at least 5 I can think of off the top in bar/plate coolers) that get used; typically in combination on "nicer" coolers.

Which companies/which cores...I don't know how that could possibly be answered other than saying that there really aren't that many core manufacturers to start with...
Since I don't get much sleep, I took some time to really dig into the topic. It seems that fin design itself is not really a selectable option moreso than an evolving application. That's where I was getting confused.
Unless my lack of sleep has hindered my comprehension?
Old 05-24-2018, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems that fin design itself is not really a selectable option moreso than an evolving application.
Can you state that differently?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Since I don't get much sleep, I took some time to really dig into the topic. It seems that fin design itself is not really a selectable option moreso than an evolving application. That's where I was getting confused.
Unless my lack of sleep has hindered my comprehension?
Yep.. Lack of sleep. Didn't read that link, did ya?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:06 AM

There are still a decent amount of companies. Each has chosen their design to sell to the market. All in that link I keep telling him about. (Company distributor may not mean manufacturer of that core, remember that, please)

GReddy
PWR
HKS
Mishimoto/Vibrant
Bell
Garrett
ETS
Treadstone
CSF - (Very popular for their radiators in the U.S. and their Intercooler cores in US & Europe)
Precision (Same design as Treadstone)
Spearco
Old 05-24-2018, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep.. Lack of sleep. Didn't read that link, did ya?
which link?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you state that differently?
Fin design isn't a selectable option as would be ceramic coating on a manifold. It is just what the company goes with for their particular units.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

... Each has chosen their design to sell to the market. All in that link I keep telling him about. (Company distributor may not mean manufacturer of that core, remember that, please)
that's what I was saying

It is just what the company goes with for their particular units.
this

Fortunately, I now get to work closely with things of this nature a few times a year...and there really is A LOT to it...but tat the same time, it can be a very simple thing. Anyway...
Old 05-24-2018, 11:10 AM

which link?
in grey at the top... sticky.. "let's talk intercoolers"
Old 06-14-2018, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in grey at the top... sticky.. "let's talk intercoolers"
Good info in there. But regardless of the core used; whether it be ebay, or the most efficient unit known to mankind, the application of evaporative cooling will help either one. I have installed a simple setup for mine using my windshield sprayer and I can go from 120 IAT to 80 or better with a few pulses of the sprayer. How is that not beneficial in any way, regardless of the core run? I get the summary of the feedback, "Just get an IC with better efficiency", but the whole concept isn't really apples to apples.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:45 AM

Good info in there. But regardless of the core used; whether it be ebay, or the most efficient unit known to mankind, the application of evaporative cooling will help either one. I have installed a simple setup for mine using my windshield sprayer and I can go from 120 IAT to 80 or better with a few pulses of the sprayer. How is that not beneficial in any way, regardless of the core run? I get the summary of the feedback, "Just get an IC with better efficiency", but the whole concept isn't really apples to apples.
Ok, then.. I wish you good luck and Godspeed, sir. ✌🏽
Old 06-15-2018, 09:45 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

That's pretty nifty. 120 down to 80 eh? Do you keep ice water in the reservoir or no?

Too bad I don't have a windshield sprayer.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
That's pretty nifty. 120 down to 80 eh? Do you keep ice water in the reservoir or no?

Too bad I don't have a windshield sprayer.
I do at first. I haven't tested out how long it stays that cold though. Temps drop down and stay down for a good bit. Had a long drive today and while IAT started crawling into mid 90s, I gave a few sprays and it dropped back to 80 and stayed for a few miles.