Notices

Looking to Boost. a Few ??s

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Boost. a Few ??s

alrighty, now that i got a job and have saved up some money. im looking to go Boosted.

My Plans:
my current setup is an LSVTEC stock block stock head with about 4k on the setup. ACT clutch on ACT 12lb(?) flywheel. B16 trans.

the thing is, my setup is still obd-0 and has a chip LS ecu with no rev. my Vtec is running off my tach (external).

im not looking to make fat power. this is my daily commuter and i would like this setup to last. therefore im looking for a small turbo, like a t3/t4.

My Goal:
i dont care how much it makes with my engine as long as its able to be daily'd for awhile and go 12's (even 12.99). drive with the kit for awhile until the block gives out or unless my engine blows, then swap in my b20 and go b20vtec again. (b20b long block is sitting in my room covered up.)

my LSVTEC went 14.1 best time with full interior, full system, full exhaust attached, a bike rack & 5% treads 22/8/13 m/h.

b20vtec went 13.6 best time minus bike rack

im not that type of person who likes to smash every second. im a normal driver.

My ??s:
1. would i be able to tune on obd-0? on chrome or any other programs out there? anything out there compatible with obd0 ecus? (i know ppl gonna say convert to obd-1 with po6/p28, but answer the question)

2. what about street tune for air/fuel ratio with my ecu?? its no rev chipped and i have my FPR. my brothers friend (which lives very far from me) specializes on turbo, he go 9's. he can do street tune like he did on my friends turbo ek. he does chips and burn base maps etc (excuse my noobness.)

2. would an ebay turbo kit do the job and last?

this quote is from craigslist, good deal?
Originally Posted by 4rm craigslist
--t3/t04e turbo (NEW)
-- b series manifold (NEW)
--73mm intercooler (NEW)
--3" downpipe with 02 bung (NEW)
--3" intercooler piping (NEW)
--38MM TIAL wastegate (NEW)
--oil line and return oil (NEW)
--HKS BOV sqv with flange (NEW)
--550 RC injectors (USED)
ASKING : $ 850 OBO
Welcome to throw me an offer
not in a rush to go boost. im still reading around and inputs are a appreciated.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Looking to Boost. a Few ??s

Not a bad set up there. How ever, ebay kits some people use them and love them, some hate them and say they dont last. Only way to find out is to slap the kit on and if it blows, it blows, if not, your good to go.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my money is getting close to piecing a kit. reason i say this is cause someone around my area is selling part of his kit.

for 850obo he has:
full race ram horn manifold for Bseries
real garret t3/t4 turbine Ar60 trim with 1k on it no shaft play
3' down pipe 4 bolt flange and flex pipe
32 mm tial wg with 7lb spring
hks bov
few charge pipes

missing oil/return lines injectors, IC etc.

since im not gonna be slapping a kit on for awhile im planning piece a legit kit and just covert over to obd1 instead to make life easier. tune on crome if i can.

say i get the kit above..i would still need

-IC kit
-oil/return lines (where can i find oil line for the garret? and oil line to the oil pan?)
-injectors (what size should i be looking for? stock lsv setup looking for no more than 8lb boosted and redline at 8k ls trans)
- all obd1 conversion parts (can someone list me the items i need and if i can use a p06 ecu?)

im sure i have more question along the line.

i will get a new intake manifold as well but thats after everything.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm going turbo eh? i havent checked your thread in months.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM

Ok for starters you can chip very few select obd0 ecu's. Second, good luck finding someone close that will do it and tune with turboedit. You best bet is just to go obd1. All you need for that is an obd0 to obd1 harness and a po6 chipped for your setup. For you hp goal with 8psi I would go with dsm 450's. Blue or Black top. I personly like the blacktops better because of the way they spray, also they are out of a newer gen dsm, therefore less likely to be screwy.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sedanman: yes boost is in mind.

lude: thanks. so turboedit tunes obd0? my ecu is already chipped and ive had this ecu for like 8 years.

so im likely to go obd1 and you said all i need is the jumper and a po6 ecu? what about converting anything under the hood?

where would i find some blacktop dsm injectors? and i would need the obd1 clips or dsm clips?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:29 PM

well you injector clips will work, you just have to trim the injectors. as far as under the hood unless your changing you dizzy to obd1 then you shouldnt need to do anything. you can find dsm's on ebay fairly cheap
Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

right off the bat, only the first few sentences in.

a - new job
b - saving money to build
and 4 - this is your daily.

what is your budget? can you afford to be without your car? (because it may get stupid and leave you one day)

remember cheap - reliable - fast
you only get to pick 2.

reliable and cheap aint fast
cheap and fast aint reliable
reliable and fast aint cheap
Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see that its around a lil over $100. so ill keep those in mind for injectors. everything under my hood is obd0 and are you sure all i need is the jumper at the ecu with an obd1 ecu?..

im trying to scoop up the setup above but dude isnt responding back..
Old 10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not looking to buy a complete kit. im piecing it together so i can get legit name brand parts. it will be awhile before it goes in. so my budget varies. after things are paid and what i have left is what i will have to buy parts
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Im almost 90% sure there isnt anything to under the hood unless you change the dizzy, then you can go to xenocron to get that jumper harness. I usually dont deal with obd0. But if you are looking to go a little cheaper on injectors, you can get bluetops. check your local craigslist. I got a set for 40 bucks off someone.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by My_EFsedan
my money is getting close to piecing a kit. reason i say this is cause someone around my area is selling part of his kit.

for 850obo he has:
full race ram horn manifold for Bseries
real garret t3/t4 turbine Ar60 trim with 1k on it no shaft play
3' down pipe 4 bolt flange and flex pipe
32 mm tial wg with 7lb spring
hks bov
few charge pipes

missing oil/return lines injectors, IC etc.

since im not gonna be slapping a kit on for awhile im planning piece a legit kit and just covert over to obd1 instead to make life easier. tune on crome if i can.

say i get the kit above..i would still need

-IC kit
-oil/return lines (where can i find oil line for the garret? and oil line to the oil pan?)
-injectors (what size should i be looking for? stock lsv setup looking for no more than 8lb boosted and redline at 8k ls trans)
- all obd1 conversion parts (can someone list me the items i need and if i can use a p06 ecu?)

im sure i have more question along the line.

i will get a new intake manifold as well but thats after everything.
Hey man.

Tuning/problems and obd conversion issues talk to : Jeremy from Redzone or John Vega from phearable.net . Jeremy tunes Crome really well and charges reasonably. Less tuning time if you run 550cc's because he already has a basemap for it and fine tunes the AF afterwards. I believe there is a jumper harness for OBD O motor to OBD I ecu. Get phearable to chip your ecu for your set-up so you can drive to Jeremy to get it tuned.

Try to pick up that turbo kit for 850 obo. That's a good deal, granted everything works.

Injector size: 8 lbs with that 60 trim ? or roughly 250 whp, in that EF sedan you'll be lucky to hit low 13's. === go with 550 cc's.. or 750 cc's if you plan to grow beyond 350whp.

Oil Lines/fittings-- lots of the bay area turbo guys go to Royal Brass for their needs. Check them out.

You're goal of running 12.9 quarter miles--- you will need at least 350 whp. I would not push that stock lsv over 300 whp. Keep it at 8 psi, and run off the wastegate. Getting it tuned is key to reliability and longetivity.

Intercooler kit can be ebay bought. That's the only thing I would buy from ebay. Look for CX racing on ebay. Dirt cheap deals on piping kit and intercoolers.
--DOn't forget to spray the intercooler black as well as the exposed couplers, clamps, piping. San Jose is getting tough or so I've heard. I haven't been pinch yet, since I'm a old geezer driving a Sol.

Less than 300 whp, the stock intake manifold should work fine. Go 3" exhaust, No cat, Get a 3" resonator and the Vibrant Stealth 3" muffler to look stock as possible.

Last edited by fishieman; 10-13-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fishieman
You're goal of running 12.9 quarter miles--- you will need at least 350 whp.
I doubt that. 300whp should get you into the mid to upper 12s.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bailhatch
I doubt that. 300whp should get you into the mid to upper 12s.
I agree with this guy..I think you need a driver mod..
Old 10-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp
I agree with this guy..I think you need a driver mod..
With slicks and the car fully stripped sure. He's probably got a full interior.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fishieman
With slicks and the car fully stripped sure. He's probably got a full interior.
He would need slicks, but stripped interior? I don't think so..
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fishieman: i heard redzone does some good work. ill consider them. what brand and price range can i get the 550cc's in? and about phearable chipping my ecu we are talking about obd1 right not my obd0 ls? if obd1, can i use the po6 rather than the p28? im not looking to boost to make over 300hp, i want this to last before i decide to throw my b20 block back in. if your saying what im looking to do will not get me in 12's this plan will demolish.

i will upgrade my pipings, i have itr header with 2.5 test pipe, 2.25 b-pipe with resonator and muffler out out the back. i took measures last night and it was 2.5', weird. but i wanted to do 2.5 all the way back to a 2.5 muffler out back to look stock but not restrict flow. i run open header at track so most likely to run open dp.

bailhatch: my goal is to go 12.999 and last. i only drive my car 2 times a week for work (when my cousin is off) and it sits there at home. i think i can go 12's with the setup im looking for..my lsv went 14.1 on 5% slicks with full interior and a bike rack, my b20v went 13.6, if boosting my lsv dont get me 12's as stated above this plan will go down the drain (i doubt that)

tehghetto: imma run some 23' or 24' slicks. i have 22's right now for n/a but i know i will need bigger. i want to reach my 12' sec goal with my full interior as well.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by My_EFsedan
fishieman: i heard redzone does some good work. ill consider them. what brand and price range can i get the 550cc's in? and about phearable chipping my ecu we are talking about obd1 right not my obd0 ls? if obd1, can i use the po6 rather than the p28? im not looking to boost to make over 300hp, i want this to last before i decide to throw my b20 block back in. if your saying what im looking to do will not get me in 12's this plan will demolish.

i will upgrade my pipings, i have itr header with 2.5 test pipe, 2.25 b-pipe with resonator and muffler out out the back. i took measures last night and it was 2.5', weird. but i wanted to do 2.5 all the way back to a 2.5 muffler out back to look stock but not restrict flow. i run open header at track so most likely to run open dp.
550 cc's brand new from RC, you can get from Adam from Wek Sos for a little over $300.
You'll get into the 12's. Turbo whp is different from N/A whp. With turbo, you need more hp to get to where you want to be . 3" exhaust all the way back. The wider the better with turbo. Luna's muffler in SJ will do the piping for mid $100's.

Phearable does OBD I. You can chip a P06.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i just got home. i got that turbo kit with the ram horn above. i did my 2.25 piping from cat back was 200, so mid 100 i dont know..but i will still do it over time. i will be making a list of items i need to complete this kit. it will take weeks to months maybe next year but i have something to start with now and i can keep piecing as i go. no turning back now..

havent had this feeling for a long time..spending 700 in 10 mins, LOL
Old 10-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres my kit. dude is selling 550cc from his DSM would it fit my setup!? its super cheap!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

You have any plans to change the way that WG dumps directly into the compressor housing/turbo inlet?? or is that just mocked up like that?
Old 10-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hotside piping (side that comes from the compressor housing of the turbo to the, if looking at the pic, right side of the intercooler) will need to be changed out.

That piping is setup for a EG/DC and WILL NOT work on an EF unless you want to cut into the front end support of the car.

850 bucks for all that is stupid cheap, either the guy doesn't know what he has, or... yeah... the mani almost retails for that.

OBD1 conversion requires:
obd1 ECU
obd1 distributor
obd0 - obd1 ECU and distributor conversion harnesses
4 wire o2
Old 10-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off just convert to obd1 the conversion harness ecu and dizzy can be had for less than 300 and that very very conservative. Turbo edit is a ok program but obd0 ecu's are not super user friendly when it comes to tuning. And also i would just peice together a nice kit with name brand parts i have used ebay stuff and have nothing against it but you can get name brand parts and peice together your own kit for almost the same price as an ebay kit sometimes cheaper. 12.99 is a respectable goal to have and dd the car at the same time and very do able just make sure your tuner knows his **** and has experience. And also make sure that you fix any and ALL problems you are having with the car before you turbo it and take it to a local tuner cuz in my experience the small little problems turn into huge problems after the car is turbo'd and they like to rear their ugly heads at very bad timing. Just take your time fix everything and install it right, and also hold out a little bit when buying parts and get the best deals possible ya might as well cuz name brand parts can be had for very cheap prices if you look and search thru hondamarketplace.com in the forced induction section. good luck hope everything works out

ps make sure to do research on turbo compressor maps and the amount of HP different turbo's will support dont buy a turbo without knowingexactly waht brand and flow/ hp it will support
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nonov: i have the dump tube. imma get it rewelded to clear the housing and dump away from it.

dephtone: the setup came from a DC and i will be ordering some new pipings specifically for my chassis. i actually got the kit for $700 and cause he said that i threw a reasonable offer out of everyone. so thats everything i would need for the obd1 conversion correct and i can use a p06 chipped.

pettyboy: i decided to just go obd1 since it wont be going in for awhile and i have the time to just get everything else if it comes by cheap. im looking for brand names now (i already have most above) besides IC. my car has no problems at all. ive been driving my lsvtec for a year now and drives great. im hoping this setup will put me in 12's with everything on the car. it will have a chipped obd1 ecu tuned by a great tuner as i read around. and he is also near me. im looking close to 300 or a lil over.

a dude wants to sell me his 550cc dsm injectors and i think its cheap. another local has a fmic new for 70..

anyone know where i can get some bolts for my kit. im missing the 4 bolts to the dp. 2 for the ram horn waste gate and oil lines/return lines.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

atpturbo sells lots of weird bolts for DP's and such...

Quick Reply: Looking to Boost. a Few ??s