Notices

Life with the JRSC

Old 04-29-2002, 11:17 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life with the JRSC

As for my experience with the JRSC, on a 1998 Integra Type R, here goes.
I got the kit with the stock 5.5 psi pulley, and with basic bolt ons, ran 14.2 at 99(street tires) and put down 196HP @wheels on dyno. I had no problems whatsoever with the system, but damn, after spending $3k on mods, you'd think it should be a little more powerful. So, on went the 8psi pulley, cam gears, MSD ignition, more gauges, etc. I was able to run 4 consecutive 13.0 runs @105-106mph.(MT 8" slicks). I dynoed at 219.6HP and 154.4ft lbs. torque. At the time of the 13.0 runs, my car weighed 2705lb. It was frustrating to be that close to a 12 second run, with nothing to tweak or adjust to get that extra tenth. I should add however, that I still had no problems at all with the system, and the runs were made pretty much back to back. I did try icing down the SC, and waited 2 hours for it to cool, and one last clean run netted a 13.1, so I gave up the hunt for 12s that day.
After using the system for approximately 10k miles, the alternator gave up. I got it replaced under warranty at acura(I know somebody), I dont know for sure if it was caused by the supercharger. Ready for more power again,
I knew then that upping the boost some more would be impossible without more fuel, and my stock injectors were already maxed out. also, anyone familiar with the JRSC knows you have to remove the blower entirely to change pullies. I needed a quick power boost, and nitrous was the answer. I used a Nitrous Express dual fogger system, which sprays fuel AND nitrous. I jetted it for a 50 shot, sprayed right into the supercharger, hopefully cooling it down a lot as well as giving the typical nitrous boost. It worked like a charm, knocking almost 7 tenths off my time. I got my best 60foot time ever, a 1.78, on to a 7.90 1/8 mile, then a 12.33 at 112.9 mph in the 1/4. Unfortunately the micro switch on the throttle failed during that run, and I was unable to back it up that day. I was extremely happy with that setup, and I still had no problems. The real test of the blower came on a long trip to florida, covering some 2,000 miles. Halfway through the trip, I noticed a whistling sound coming from under the hood. It sounded kinda cool, but I knew something was wrong. After close inspection, I found 2 cracks in the JR manifold, obviously stress related. I tried to JB weld it back together, just to make it home, but that didnt work. This turned out to be the least of my worries, as not too long after that, the throttle cable snapped, right on the little roller JR uses to re-route the cable. I was able to rig the cable with a butt connector, but I had to be very delicate with the throttle, or it would come apart again.(this happened 5 times). I also noticed 5 teeth missing from my timing belt, after 32k miles. On a possibly unrelated note, I shattered the bearings on the passenger side axle as well, causing the car to shudder at highway speed. after I got back from my trip, I was ready to throw the whole thing away. I knew I would not be happy without some sort of power adder, and at the time, turbo was out of the question. I kept the blower on there, and added more and more mods, hoping to run 11s, a first on a JRSC ITR. Sometime after that trip, I also managed to pop the ring lands on the #3 piston, caused by heavy detonation. I tore down the engine, and replaced the piston, Timing belt, throttle cable, JR manifold(which they sent free of charge) and inspected everything else. It looked great other than that, so while it was apart, I added a nuformz block guard. I noticed the ports on the JR manifold were much smaller than the openings on the head, so I match ported it. the same was true of the throttle body opening. I assume Jackson racing used the same kit on the ITR as they did on the b16a. I was surprised at the poor fit on such an expensive system. after about 1,500 more miles I had to replace the throttle cable again, since it frayed apart again in the same place. among other things, I added a GSR intake cam, and a short ram intake, at the recommendation of ENDYN, (they promised it would make more power.) I went to the track again, and with the exact same mods as before, plus the porting, cam and different intake, I was only able to lay down 12.61 @110. I was disappointed to say the least. I decided it was time for more boost. The only problem was, on June 2, 2001, some F***in idiot rear ended my ITR while I was sitting at a redlight, totaling the car. I was lucky I didnt have the bottle in the trunk at the time, because it would have been pushed through the back seats and possibly into the back of my head! anyway, I had to start over. I put everything into a little 96 civic HB, and did some more mods along the way. I had a hell of a time getting it to run right, due to wiring issues. I got it to run ok, but I had to ditch the nitrous, since it wouldnt fit in the trunk (15lb bottle). I still may put a bottle back there, since I have had good luck with it in the past. After many headaches, and many late nights dissecting wiring harnesses, I got it to run strong. I managed to lose yet another throttle cable, after about 2,000 miles. The tensioner pulley JR supplies with the kit failed after approx 12k miles. Also, another alternator. This time, the alternator's bearings seized up. I took another long trip in the civic, covering some 1,700 miles. somewhere in W VA, the alternator belt tensioner pulley locked up again. this was the second time! I only got about 2,000 miles out of the new bearings on the pulley. Luckily I limped to an advance auto parts store, and the guys there hooked me up.I decided to take the tensioner pulley out altogether, and used a tight fitting belt instead. This is the way Jackson should have done it, if there are no pullies tough enough to withstand 8400 rpm. I have had lots of other problems with my car, but they are unrelated to the JRSC, so I will not mention them.
4/2002, I took the car to Rockingham dragway, hoping to hit 12s without the bottle. I assumed my civic was much lighter than the Type R, so all other things being the same, the weight difference should be enough to acheive that. I was again disappointed. I was only able to run a 13.3 at 100. I weighed my car, and surprisingly it weighs 2640 with me in it. that is only 65lb lighter than the ITR. I tried fiddling with the V-AFC, to no avail. I quit racing when I noticed teeth missing from my timing belt AGAIN. I have only had this timing belt on the motor for 10k miles. At this point, I am not satisfied with the performance of the JRSC, and I am looking at other options. I never installed the 11psi kit, or the RC injectors. I hope my experience can help others in their decision to JRSC or not to JRSC.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (superR303)

Turbo turbo turbo. Has so much potential. Dude with a drag3 kit at 6 psi you would of been at 240-250whp. Ditch the jrsc and go turbo you will love it.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:35 AM
New User

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (TurboSohc)

yeah, you are right. I talked to the guys at Dynamic Autosports and they helped convince me that is the route I need to take.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That sux to hear. I ran 12.6 on 8lbs of boost in my 92 hatch with GS-R motor.
Did you install the brace(looks like a long bar) that supports the manifold. If you didn't it will cause the manifold to vibrate and crack. I've been runnin mine for 2 yrs now. I was problem free till my friend swapped out my plugs#11s with normal plugs and now have some bad rings. Call Jackson or ask around to see if anyone else has had this problem.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow you got some problems, man... i been happy with my JRSC, but of course I prefer a turbo for power. Only thing I hate is having the change the belts every 10k-15k miles and I was able to hit 13's on 6psi, which was plenty good enough for me. i failed smog the first time and passed after changing out a fried O2 sensor. Some bolts strangely came loose and popped out, which is where i began to hear a whirring noise due to a boost leak. Other than that, 6psi has been adequate... allowing me to humble big V8's on occasion and at the very least gaining some respect for not getting blown away. I've put over 40k miles on the car with the JRSC and its been cool. I have been pretty content with my set-up, despite me being over my car. But i do know one thing... if i had a turbo, my car may not have lasted as long as it has cuz too often have I started up my car and drove off right away. It is obvious that if you want more speed you should either get more power or find other methods of getting more speed for your power. ie, weight reduction. Civics are stripped down to little over 2k pounds all the time, I am sure you can strip it down to weighing less than the integra. BUT its obvious you need a turbo... GET A TURBO!!!
Old 04-29-2002, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (Racing Hartless)

<Did you install the brace(looks like a long bar) that supports the manifold>

good point... i ran mine for 3 years now... pretty much problem free.

[Modified by csufweed, 8:49 PM 4/29/2002]
Old 04-29-2002, 11:51 AM
New User

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (Racing Hartless)

yeah, i forgot to mention, JR supplied the support bracket with the new manifold. I also forgot to mention, I have gone through 6 sets of spark plugs. The spark plugs seem to just fail for one reason or another, not caused by normal wear. I had 2 plugs snap in half on the ceramic part, out of the blue!
Old 04-29-2002, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the JRSC is the ideal way to boost your car if you wanna go super fast in the 1/4 mile. It is, however, a fantastic way to turn a torqueless B16 into a torquey v6-like engine.

I was pretty happy with my 8psi JRSC on my B16A:

Sonny
Old 04-29-2002, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, i forgot to mention, JR supplied the support bracket with the new manifold. I also forgot to mention, I have gone through 6 sets of spark plugs. The spark plugs seem to just fail for one reason or another, not caused by normal wear. I had 2 plugs snap in half on the ceramic part, out of the blue!
yes the stock JRSC kit runs on a 5:1 rising rate fuel pressure regulator and it is set on the rich side. Better safe than sorry... but the result is less performance and fouled spark plugs. By adding a full MSD system, this wasnt so much an issue for me, but it is still a bit rich.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:45 PM
New User

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (csufweed)

I think the lesson here is that if you can be happy with the JRSC in its stock form, you wont have many problems. I admit, the system worked extremely well before I started trying to get more power out of it. If you are like me, though, and can never have enough power, GET A TURBO....
Old 04-29-2002, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turbo is the way to go.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (civicefhatchback)

Ben-

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I've followed your car for a long time...even before I bough my own ITR. Your current HB is beautiful. Post a pic for these guys!

I think any time you push the envelope, you are going to experience reliability issues. The same thing happend to me when I added Toda cams. You either have to be prepared to deal with it or move on. I think truly think you could benefit from lower compression a bit and adding a stand-alone. Both of these would offer more reliabilty with your set-up. Hope to see you at the Rock in 2 weeks.

Chris B
Raleigh, NC
00 PY #510
www. itr-nc.com

Old 04-30-2002, 08:58 AM
New User

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (RStoR)

HERE'S A CURRENT PIC
Old 04-30-2002, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-30-2002, 03:45 PM
New User

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (SiRkid)

when it comes to all out power for a honda, the jrsc is pretty much ***.

get a turbo.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Life with the JRSC (jinxproof99)

nice car! ditch the jrsc and get yourself a turbo kit and you will be happy(if your looking for better times at the track)