Notices

Let's try and source this engine noise..round 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's try and source this engine noise..round 2

So I've made a few inquiries regarding the ARP flywheel bolts being too long and causing a clanking noise. however if this was the case this noise should be occurring at all engine speeds, correct?

anywho here is the video of the noise in question, the last time I posted a video there was way to much echo.

here's a bit of history regarding the motor build and what it's been through since.

bisimoto 2.4 with full valvetrain, JE 9:1, and scat rods.

stock bore, 75mm pistions, clevite main and rod bearings oem sizes, everything plastigauged and within spec.

I can't recall if this noise was occurring since first start-up or started happening some time afterward. I'm pretty sure it's been since the day it was built.

I constantly beat on this thing, boosting the heck out of it whenever i drive it. from what i understand if something was really wrong then things should have gone boom by now...anyway, onto the video.

it should also be noted that this noise goes away when the car is at about 2,300rpm

in this first one the noise is very pronounced, you'll just have to turn your speakers up. sorry for the inconvenience:

second one here it can be heard but the garage echo kind of kills it, from 0.15-0.18 it's pretty clear.

Last edited by Freshdot; 10-15-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Let's try and source this engine noise..round 2

sounds like a rod knock to me
Old 10-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not that i'm disagreeing with you, but aren't rod knocks supposed to get louder with RPM?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Does sound like a rod knock but i don't think so. Sounds like something is either vibrating and smacking something under the car.
Are you sure you turbo manifold and turbo parts are good!
Check you motor mounts especially the rear! it might of have gone or got loose.
hows your ex piping under look and its hangers?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the noise is definitely internal, the odd thing is once I probe the engine with a stethoscope i don't hear a damn thing.

my next test is to start pulling plug wires with the motor running to narrow down the possibility of rod knock.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

piston slap...what is you ptw clearances?

im assuming 75mm vitaras which are know to piston slap as they are a bit under 75mm this sound will be even louder if you honed the motor like you should have ....also the wrist pins are slightly offset and if you installed with the arrows pointing the timingbelt it will slap louder
Old 10-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by scottdh20
piston slap...what is you ptw clearances?

im assuming 75mm vitaras which are know to piston slap as they are a bit under 75mm this sound will be even louder if you honed the motor like you should have ....also the wrist pins are slightly offset and if you installed with the arrows pointing the timingbelt it will slap louder
Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drain the oil and check for metal debrits /shavings.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your torque mounts underneath the car's chassis.. if you have some, i'm at work so i can't see the video, I've had some people come in with their torque mounts loose and its jumping around causing a slight knock lol.

If you rev, does the knock speed stay constant? Or increase, if it increase its RPM dependent, if it doesn't, its something else vibrating.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:05 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How about let us play "learn how to make a video so people can actually diagnose something"... YAAY!

Line up kids, get in a semi-circle so I can explain it. Little Johnny, stop playing with "FreshDots" stupidity, it's not nice. OK, let us begin.

When making a diagnosis video there are MANY things you shoukdn't do, but I am going to focus on the failures or your 3 videos.

Do NOT have people talking in the backround.
Do NOT record a video while resonance is unavoidable.
Do NOT move the camera fast - you lose valuable pitch changes.
Do NOT hold the camera at one distance.
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT keep the engine at one RPM. You absolutely can't pull a proper diagnosis from idle.

Basically your diagnosing skills are pure ****, because you gave us absoluetly nothing to work with. Things like varying RPM, constant RPM between 2,500-3,000 RPMs, varying distances from engine, exhaust tone, ect all VASTLY improve your chances at a proper diagnosis.

Diagnosing is an art form, no doubt. 80% of people who think they have the ability absolutely do not. It can ONLY come from experience, and most of the time is only taught the hard way. So anybody who is guessing at those garbage videos is just making a fool of themselves. Remake a proper video if you want a proper or very close diagnosis. I have been diagnosing over the phone for decades, you know back before we had the Internet and these fancy cameras. Cameras make it easier to judge distance and location of microphone, before we had to guess those things and ACTUALLY KNOW what we were talking about. These days "everyone" is a Certified Diagnostics Technician as long as their scan tool can communicate. Pathetic.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
How about let us play "learn how to make a video so people can actually diagnose something"... YAAY!

Line up kids, get in a semi-circle so I can explain it. Little Johnny, stop playing with "FreshDots" stupidity, it's not nice. OK, let us begin.

When making a diagnosis video there are MANY things you shoukdn't do, but I am going to focus on the failures or your 3 videos.

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT keep the engine at one RPM. You absolutely can't pull a proper diagnosis from idle.

Basically your diagnosing skills are pure ****, because you gave us absoluetly nothing to work with. Things like varying RPM, constant RPM between 2,500-3,000 RPMs, varying distances from engine, exhaust tone, ect all VASTLY improve your chances at a proper diagnosis.

Diagnosing is an art form, no doubt. 80% of people who think they have the ability absolutely do not. It can ONLY come from experience, and most of the time is only taught the hard way. So anybody who is guessing at those garbage videos is just making a fool of themselves. Remake a proper video if you want a proper or very close diagnosis. I have been diagnosing over the phone for decades, you know back before we had the Internet and these fancy cameras. Cameras make it easier to judge distance and location of microphone, before we had to guess those things and ACTUALLY KNOW what we were talking about. These days "everyone" is a Certified Diagnostics Technician as long as their scan tool can communicate. Pathetic.
lol
Old 10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d

i would rather enjoy it if you would just not participate in any of my threads. you are an arrogant, pompous d!ckhead, with no reason to be condescending to someone for not knowing that there was a right and a wrong way to record a video/sound clip for people to make some assumptions based upon. i know you must be some sort of internet god with all your many posts, but i simply do not need help from someone like you. you seriously must have a hell of a social life, between playing super cool honda-tech user and possessing such great social skills. people like you are despicable and are what's wrong with the world.

thanks to anyone with any legitimate and constructive input in this thread...going back to the flywheel issue, i'll be inspecting that to see if in fact the ARP bolts are too long on thursday hopefully that's where this noise is coming from.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

On the contrary, people like YOU are what is wrong with the world. Too many yuppies. Why cry about it when you could just report me?
Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yuppie? hahaha i grew up in the hood of brooklyn.

i'm not crying about it or humoring you any longer. report? what kind of herb **** is that? we don't go crying to authorities where i'm from. herb.

"If I answer in your thread, consider yourself blessed/unlucky - you decide."

that's a really cool internet reputation to own.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm new around here, but not new to the car world, based on my experience, its a heavy thunk noise... i would say a rod bearing getting ready to spin... rev to about 3.5k rpm with the tb and see if it goes away at all..
Old 10-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the noise goes away at about 2,300+