Notices

Lets talk oil return lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lets talk oil return lines

My turbo sits so low and close to the oil pan I'm having a hard time routing an oil return line. The turbo does sit higher than the oil pan but it's close enough that if I mock up two -10 AN 45 degree fittings, one on the turbo and one on the oil pan, they overlap each other. Those fittings are just so giant and take up so much space.
I'm thinking about just getting a brass barbed fitting and putting that in the fitting on the bottom of the turbo and clamping on some hose but the oil pan side is where I'm not sure what to do.

Where can I find an aluminum bung of sorts to weld to the pan so I can thread in a brass barbed fitting? The one that came with my oil line kit has male threads for the AN fittings to go on. I'd need female NTP threads.

Thanks for any ideas or pointers.

Malcolm
Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Lets talk oil return lines

Is your's closer than this?

I had to do a couple of things to allow me to use two 45 degree socketed hose ends.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it sure is. Not only is there no space for hose between the fittings but my AN fittings actually overlap each other. Although my AN fittings seem much longer than yours. I got them in one of those generic ebay return line kits.

I wonder if I can find shorter ones like yours and try to make that fit. I did order a couple 90 degree fittings from summit earlier in the week that are suppose to be here tomorrow. I was going to see if there was some way I could get them to work but it's not looking good. That's why I was thinking a short barb with some hose and clamps.... as much as I despise that sort of setup that's bound to leak at some point.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
Yeah it sure is. Not only is there no space for hose between the fittings but my AN fittings actually overlap each other. Although my AN fittings seem much longer than yours. I got them in one of those generic ebay return line kits.

I wonder if I can find shorter ones like yours and try to make that fit. I did order a couple 90 degree fittings from summit earlier in the week that are suppose to be here tomorrow. I was going to see if there was some way I could get them to work but it's not looking good. That's why I was thinking a short barb with some hose and clamps.... as much as I despise that sort of setup that's bound to leak at some point.

Possibly, but you CANNOT use 90 degree fittings on your return in any part of that line. You'll cause a oil backup and pressurize past your turbine shaft ring... eventually damaging it. In fact, with your PRecision turbo, its grounds to make any warranties voidable. THIS IS THE TRUTH, I'm not playing any d!ck games with you on this.. DO NOT USE A 90 Degree fitting

Your idea of the 45 degree brass fitting is more practical idea than using any 90 degree fittings.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id be very upset with the lack of space. and why turbo companies make fittings that will not flow properly is beyond me /post
Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's the fittings I have.

See how big it is. It goes down so far.

Now look when I mock up where the other one would go.

That's why I was thinking super short barbed fittings but I'm open to suggestions.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
id be very upset with the lack of space. and why turbo companies make fittings that will not flow properly is beyond me /post
Its not the fittings, its the collector of the manifold relative to the fitment of the turbo that sometimes makes proper fitment into the pan a PITA.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:02 PM

That's why I was thinking super short barbed fittings but I'm open to suggestions.
That's where you could put a SMALL section of braided line into a weld bung to go into the pan. Damn e-bay Earl's knock-off fittings.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Possibly, but you CANNOT use 90 degree fittings on your return in any part of that line. You'll cause a oil backup and pressurize past your turbine shaft ring... eventually damaging it. In fact, with your PRecision turbo, its grounds to make any warranties voidable. THIS IS THE TRUTH, I'm not playing any d!ck games with you on this.. DO NOT USE A 90 Degree fitting

Your idea of the 45 degree brass fitting is more practical idea than using any 90 degree fittings.
Well good to know. I don't want to void the warranty or ruin my turbo. I'm amazed so much oil is going to flow though the system that a 90 degree -10 AN won't flow enough? I mean have you seen the restricter on the supply line? It's like a pin hole. I guess I will have to come up with a new plan.

My plan with the brass fittings was to just use straight barbed ends and just bend some hose. The space would be enough to bend the hose without kinks I think.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 PM

My plan with the brass fittings was to just use straight barbed ends and just bend some hose. The space would be enough to bend the hose without kinks I think.
Bend the hose carefully, but yes, you can do that..
Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Bend the hose carefully, but yes, you can do that..
That goes back to my original post. How do I get a brass barbed end in the oil pan? I'm thinking some sort of aluminum bung with an NTP tapped thread that I can weld into the pan but where to get such an item?
Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The part I want exists in this kit. I hate to pay $60 for one piece in here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Oil-Fe...#ht_1626wt_954
Old 12-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

place the bung in the oil pan off to the side, creating more distance.

2nd post depicts this perfectly.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pwebb0207
place the bung in the oil pan off to the side, creating more distance.

2nd post depicts this perfectly.
Doesn't work in my case because the turbo sits to close to the block. I tried moving the fitting on the oil pan all the way to the furtherest end of the pan and it still sticks out to far.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhh found exactly what I need for the oil pan

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-Turbo-...#ht_1088wt_954

Then I can put in a brass barbed fitting and get my hose on.

Another option would be something like this too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-8-T3-T4-T7...ht_2521wt_1187

I'd just cut the bolt tabs off the sides and weld it to the pan.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You want to use a turbo drain flange like this:
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=BCS

You can kind of see it in my picture. It'll raise the upper hose end up a couple centimeters and keep the two from hitting each other.

You may also want to measure the angles on your hose ends....they look like 30 deg hose ends (although it's atypical for generics to make a 30 deg hose end).

I also had to use a nylon braid instead of a stainless braid to increase flexibility.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by IN VTEC

You can kind of see it in my picture. It'll raise the upper hose end up a couple centimeters and keep the two from hitting each other.

You may also want to measure the angles on your hose ends....they look like 30 deg hose ends (although it's atypical for generics to make a 30 deg hose end).

I also had to use a nylon braid instead of a stainless braid to increase flexibility.
Similar to that, but the T3/T4 version. Unless he has a GT-R series Garrett, it will cause a leak at the flange gasket.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now look when I mock up where the other one would go.

Those are 30* fittings. Not even 45*. I would check, Earl's makes a 45* swivel fitting that is very tight. It is their forged style fitting, not the tube style.

http://www.anplumbing.com/Hose+Ends/Swivel-Seal-16.html

4th fitting down on the page

Last edited by h22apwrd95; 12-02-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you should be easy on yourself and use a rubber line with some braided cover. it would take 2 seconds
Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck with it, and make sure you post pictures up of the finished return line so that we can confirm its ok. Oil return line are soooooo over looked at times, its so damn important that the oil just drops back into the sump.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by IN VTEC

Great tip there. I'll get the T3 version and shorten my return depth off the turbo.
Also you were right, those are 30 degree ends. I got my angle finder out and verified.

Originally Posted by rich7777
Good luck with it, and make sure you post pictures up of the finished return line so that we can confirm its ok. Oil return line are soooooo over looked at times, its so damn important that the oil just drops back into the sump.
Will do. I've read they are important so rather than goof it all up I'm getting some great advice from everyone and will come up with something.

Those super compact 45 degree fittings from Earls look like they will help tremendously. I'll have to get a couple and see what I can do.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bet this guy can help you out

http://hondamarketplace.com/member.php?u=999534851
Old 12-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

One of the low profile 1pc fittings and the compact earls fitting should give you enough room but just in case you don't wanna spend another $70 on fittings.
You can buy those weld in bungs on ebay all day long for around $5. It's what I used for my catch can set up I had on my turbo ls. Way cheaper then An fitting and lines but still serves the same purpose. Also can pick them up from Summit or Earls.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Whats wrong with summit or jegs stuff lol
Old 12-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would try the flange in the link above it will take the fitting closer to the turbo

Quick Reply: Lets talk oil return lines