Notices

Lets talk Meth Kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets talk Meth Kits

So, why isnt there alot of people running these on here?

Ive searched for people running meth and making big numbers and there arent many threads on it.
I have an AEM meth kit sitting beside me and Im going to put it on my current setup and see how it works..

Anyone else making good power with Meth and pump gas?
Lets hear some numbers.

I know they are big with other cars with forced induction, why not hondas?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lets talk Meth Kits (Topdawgg)

I've wondered the same about the honda guys.. It seems like easy/cheap security against pre-detonation and so forth, and with 50% meth you can run more boost on pump gas . I plan on making a DIY kit soon and maybe selling a few.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im just tired of wasting money on race gas.

With my current tune, Im tuned to 21 psi with race gas. I was gonna add the meth kit and run the 21 psi and see how it works..
Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in for inf.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK_vzla)

I run an aem kit on my dsm, great kit no problems
Old 11-03-2008, 07:47 PM

Isn't Snow Performance, or something like that, one of the better kits out there? I am interested in info on it too. I know we have a couple DSM friends down here running kits, and they seem to love them.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run the basic Coolingmist kit. M10 and M5 nozzle, 150psi pump. 75% meth, 25% water. I mix it myself as I have a 40 gallon drum of methanol. 94 octane pump gas. .86 T3 GT35R @ 38psi. Works WONDERS
Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 PM

Default Re: (Tchleung)

i run 100% meth through my aem meth kit on my supra AND my camaro ls1 turbo

works great !!!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (project dc2)

im running a coolingmist kit on my integra.

i use it for security because im on stock sleeves.

I Try to make as much power as I can on pump gas, then just run a little bit of water/meth so I dont ever hafto worry about ping or a bad batch of gas. and on the flip side if the pump fails or some ****, atleast you wont blow your motor because its not depending on that extra fuel.

i use about 55% water 45% methanol.

you gotta remember that water is heavier than methanol, so if you take 2 jugs and fill them both 50/50, your actually using more water than meth.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 AM

Default Re: (Glove)

I run a Stage 2 Snow Perf kit on my daily driver LS/VTEC for extra safety.

I also use it so I can run 87 Octane at about 300 whp level safely

I run a small nozzle so I am not going through a lot of meth.

If you wanted to extend the limits of Pump Gas, water/meth is the way to go...however, you are now introducing another variable into the equation that may or may not fail if not properly monitored or setup
Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 AM

Default Re: (norconex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by norconex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also use it so I can run 87 Octane at about 300 whp level safely </TD></TR></TABLE>

So what happens when the cheaply made pump takes a ****? You really want your motor depending on that?
Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 AM

So what is a good kit then? The Snow Performance kit is the only one i had heard pretty good things about. Is the pump the weak link in the kit? Could you just replace that?
Old 11-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (darkdementshun)

As stated above, if you take advantage of the methanol injection and something fails, boom. It's like running on race gas and someone putting pump gas in when you're not looking. For it to be truly reliable you need to have a way for the computer to know weather or not the system is fully functioning and the computer make compensations based on that. Snow performance had a flow meter available at one time, but i think they had some issues with it. It was the last thing in line on the system and if anything failed (assuming the flow meter didn't fail, lol) then it would send out a signal which you could use to activate a nitrous function in your computer to add fuel and pull timing. Running methanol injection without any type of failsafe is just asking for it in my opinion.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:49 AM

Default Re: (tony1)

Tony, don't dare tell the Evo guys that. They live and breathe alcohol injection lol
Old 11-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (BoostedJeff)

Monkey see monkey do....
Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not saying that I want to run a crazy amount of boost.

Currently im making 440whp with 1 bar of boost on my setup. I have 91 octane at the pumps here. I want to make around 500-550 with the meth. It wont take more then 20-21 psi to make the 500whp..

I just dont know what boost levels are safe with 91 octane..

oh, and saying "well what if the pump fails" is like saying what if my walbro fuel pump fails. Or an injector fails.. Anything could potentially fail at one point or another.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Topdawgg)

We had a EVO that blew the motor, due too the Meth pump taking a crap on us. Needless to say we went with a bigger and better setup. But still always had to worry about it going out again! It was a Snow kit also
Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Default Re: (BoostedJeff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedJeff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So what happens when the cheaply made pump takes a ****? You really want your motor depending on that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The motor was tuned on 87 without the meth to 10 psi (spring)...if the pump fails I have SOME breathing room. It's a stock motor LS-VTEC though so ultimately I'm not that concerned. Everytime I take a ride I check the level in the tank and I have a wideband in the car full time, so chances are I might notice it if it did fail. I also know what my car sounds like when its running well, and I know enough to understand what detonation feels like

There are certainly ways to build a fail safe system. Snow Perf and Aquamist have ways to do it that arent cheap. Basically you tune to a boost level without the meth safely, if flow disappears or the tank runs dry, your EMS will lower the boost level and/or pull timing until you correct the issue.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Topdawgg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I just dont know what boost levels are safe with 91 octane..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Effectively, with the right setup of water/meth you will have about a 110 octane mix using 91 & Water/Meth

Both Snow and Aquamist have nice Tech on their sites.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As stated above, if you take advantage of the methanol injection and something fails, boom. It's like running on race gas and someone putting pump gas in when you're not looking. For it to be truly reliable you need to have a way for the computer to know weather or not the system is fully functioning and the computer make compensations based on that. Snow performance had a flow meter available at one time, but i think they had some issues with it. It was the last thing in line on the system and if anything failed (assuming the flow meter didn't fail, lol) then it would send out a signal which you could use to activate a nitrous function in your computer to add fuel and pull timing. Running methanol injection without any type of failsafe is just asking for it in my opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Great post

It has been going on for so long and I can't believe there are still no reliable methods of safeguarding the motor whenever the meth system fails. I always get the itch to run more meth and take it to higher limits considering that I have been running water/meth since 2002, but I personally went through several types of flow meters, pressure switches, etc.. myself throughout the years; ranging from ones purchased from Snow, coolingmist, Mcmaster-carr, and down to the expensive as hell Aquamist. They are almost impossible to dial in when pump temperature changes ever so slightly and the margin of error is so huge that the flow meter either false triggers or renders itself useless because it the wide flow changes across the meter when temps change.

The few reasons I run water/meth are:

- provides additional air charge cooling ie: great for those with intercoolers reaching max capacity

- steam cleans the motor, and awesome for big injector setups/daily drivers when the motor really carbons up from frequent rich running during cruising conditions

- the engine runs a lot more consistent under a wide range of air temps/water temps. What I mean by this, is for example, you give the motor 20 deg of timing at 15 PSI of boost on 93 oct fuel alone. The engine runs clean with no signs of detonation, but it quickly starts to knock when you do 5-6 consecutive pulls in a row simulating a roadracing condition. With water/meth, you can keep running the same timing and make roughly the same power, but the engine stays consistent and safe because it has just increased the buffer for knock under demanding conditions.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Glove &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im running a coolingmist kit on my integra.

i use it for security because im on stock sleeves.

I Try to make as much power as I can on pump gas, then just run a little bit of water/meth so I dont ever hafto worry about ping or a bad batch of gas. and on the flip side if the pump fails or some ****, atleast you wont blow your motor because its not depending on that extra fuel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

And that's the way I run my systems as well on all my cars in my sig.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tony the Tiger)

theres a simple solution to this,

you make 400whp on pump gas for the street, whic his stupid enough in itself.

then you make a seperate tune for methanol thats track only, where you have like 500 whp or some ****,

what are you gonna do with 500 that you cant do with 400 on the street?
Old 11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Glove)

I dont use meth because I like the way my teeth look.
Sorry I couldnt help myself.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PPLH8R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PPLH8R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont use meth because I like the way my teeth look.
Sorry I couldnt help myself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

always gotta be one
Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PPLH8R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Glove &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">theres a simple solution to this,

you make 400whp on pump gas for the street, whic his stupid enough in itself.

then you make a seperate tune for methanol thats track only, where you have like 500 whp or some ****,

what are you gonna do with 500 that you cant do with 400 on the street?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didnt say I wanted 500 on the street.

I want to be able to go to the track, up the boost and have the power there with the meth without having to put race gas in the car..
Old 11-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then get a meth kit

Quick Reply: Lets talk Meth Kits