Notices

least amount of creep with 35r

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM
official honda whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default least amount of creep with 35r

well since im going back for a higher boost tune soon i was thinking about getting a smaller wastegate spring for my car

its full race t4 manifold
t4 gt35r
tial 44mm

its a 9psi spring that creeps to 13 almost 14 psi and i would like to have it around 10psi (350whp) spring to help with traction in the lower gears

would a smaller spring help or would it just creep up to 13 psi again?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: least amount of creep with 35r

you're at a point where you need a boost controller that can change settings, and not just switching out springs. The right one can eliminate creep and help response altogether.

I saw your build. It's very nice to say the least.. with that, it is time to step your game up a bit
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can try a smaller spring but I think it will still creep , you need twin gates on that manifold or revise the wastegate inlet like F-R did on the new manifolds.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you think yours is bad. my setup creeps from a 10psi spring to 20spi at redline!!! s362et, ramhorn mani, tial 44.

it use to be worse. a few things that helped me... are you running open downpipe? if so, either go full exhaust or add some piping. another thing, route your dumptube in the most simple manner possible. no crazy curves or bends.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ef9civicgen4
you think yours is bad. my setup creeps from a 10psi spring to 20spi at redline!!!
Umm yea buddy you got yourself quite a problem there.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EF9 what mani are you running?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 AM
official honda whore

Originally Posted by TheShodan
you're at a point where you need a boost controller that can change settings, and not just switching out springs. The right one can eliminate creep and help response altogether.

I saw your build. It's very nice to say the least.. with that, it is time to step your game up a bit

i will have boost controlled via s300, but i dont see how that will stop the creep, if the wastegate is already open 100% at 10psi i dont see how a boost controller could help

when i put the manifold on i checked the wg hole and everything was nice and smooth edges, i realize its not like the newer manifolds that are curved into the manifold

i would be happy if i put in a 6psi spring and it crept to 10 ( then i could use the boost controller to set it at 10psi and it should stay there in theory)

thanks for any help
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A smaller spring or boost controller will not help, the wastegate is simply not physically able to bypass enough exhaust pressure to control the boost where you want it. I would look into different manifold or wastegate options such as a Tial 60mm.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:57 AM

I disagree, the RIGHT boost controller can help, one that does more than simply control duty cycle. The AEM, S300, and managment controlled laptops look at strictly duty cycle percentage (that's why its easy to set boost by gear, for those that care). But a Greddy Profec B or Blitz will eliminate it entirely, because the solenoid that is used not only controls duty cycle, but response setting that actuates the stepper motor with greater accuracy. (This is called a GAIN feature on the Profec B spec II, and SET GAIN on the Blitz SBC ID). Since most people on this forum strictly look at boost control as a way to increase pressure, and not fully control it, they tend to look at these 2 items as just expensive versions of a manual boost controller and nothing more.

I've eliminated a LOT of creep with the Profec B spec II, with setups even LARGER than yours. Here it seems that physically your wastegate is the proper size, and it should be controlled without issue
Old 03-26-2009, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree, the RIGHT boost controller can help, one that does more than simply control duty cycle. The AEM, S300, and managment controlled laptops look at strictly duty cycle percentage (that's why its easy to set boost by gear, for those that care). But a Greddy Profec B or Blitz will eliminate it entirely, because the solenoid that is used not only controls duty cycle, but response setting that actuates the stepper motor with greater accuracy. (This is called a GAIN feature on the Profec B spec II, and SET GAIN on the Blitz SBC ID). Since most people on this forum strictly look at boost control as a way to increase pressure, and not fully control it, they tend to look at these 2 items as just expensive versions of a manual boost controller and nothing more.

I've eliminated a LOT of creep with the Profec B spec II, with setups even LARGER than yours. Here it seems that physically your wastegate is the proper size, and it should be controlled without issue
So you can't control RAMP or GAIN with S300's boost control? Well, damnit. I want my World Electronics PBC back.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say you're wrong on being able to control creep with either of those other controllers on this guys setup.. The smaller spring will help, but not much, it might be easier to also try an exhaust housing change as well..
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had same problem, I changed to victor x and bigger cams solved the problem.
But now my boost drops from 17 to 14, I dont know why, maybe my turbo can't handle..?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 AM
official honda whore

well idk any other t4 35r housing that would work ok with my setup, i have the atp .82 t4 housing on it right now

im just trying to get the power down a little bit so that i can actually use the boost by gear to my advantage
Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a bit of a creep issue. Additionally my setup won't allow me to limit boost to the 11+ poundage of the spring. I want to use a spring in the 7-8 lb. range but with it I can't pull the 24 lbs. I want on high boost. (H22, Blitz sbc., Tial 60, GT35.)
Tuner says they had similar probs on a couple of race cars and modified the wastegate positions to take care of it. My wastegate pipe is @ a 90% angle to the exhaust pipe. When they redid the others they apparently put the wastegate angle at a 'Y' so that the exhaust blew more directly into the wastegate pipe. They say this helped with control and allowed them to reach over 2 1/2 times spring pressure.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
official honda whore

^^ with an electronic boost controller you shouldnt have a problem doing 24lbs on a 7lb spring
Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by locash
I'd say you're wrong on being able to control creep with either of those other controllers on this guys setup.. The smaller spring will help, but not much, it might be easier to also try an exhaust housing change as well..
The exhaust housing change will only help any backpressure issues a bit, but not creep. We solved the problem with several clients through the use of a BETTER controller. This is provided that thewastegate placement was in a decent spot.

24psi on a 7psi spring is difficult to do, even with a good boost controller. That's over 2.5* the limit of the spring.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

24psi on a 7psi spring is difficult to do, even with a good boost controller. That's over 2.5* the limit of the spring.

our cars can make ~50 psi on 9 psi springs.. what gives.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run the t3 .82 exhaust 35r and i too have the creep issue. The guys played with it for hours, changing downpipe lengths, trying various tuner tricks, and just about anything else that came to mind. I'm with the guy who said the different manifold will help. I have ran many setups from log manifolds to topmount. I have found that the cheaper log manifolds hold consistent boost pressure a lot better than my pricey topmount. Granted, I am using (1) 44mm WG on a topmount but I cannot make anything less than 500whp or about 18ish psi. Good luck with the fix; hopefully you can work something out.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I recommend trying a cheaper option first such as a solenoid activated EBC. "Profec or Aem". They have several features to control creep. Much cheaper than changing manifolds. My .02 Good Luck. If anything post pics or model manifold so we can make sure wg placement is accurate.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaveF
our cars can make ~50 psi on 9 psi springs.. what gives.
But Does it Creep when your set at 9 PSI ? I bet it does !
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
official honda whore

its a full-race manifold, so im sure its better than most but nothing is perfect, maybe i will shoot the guys at full-race a pm and see what they say
Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2000CTRSi
I recommend trying a cheaper option first such as a solenoid activated EBC. "Profec or Aem". They have several features to control creep.
Cheers
Like what? Exhaust pressure is going to go the path of least resistance. That is the reason for the creep.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try running 2 38s. just weld another 38mm on the other side of the mani.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it a side mount manifold or top mount? I'm running the sidemount stage 3gt on my rsx and I can't get it below 10psi... This manifold was built the way it was for several key reasons.... Flow, durability and clearance... They are designed to spool quick and breath. You will always have trouble boosting less than 10psi with their manifolds because of this. On side note, I'm running the perrin boost solenoid and it holds duty cycle or boost PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERFECTLY no matter where I set it pass 10psi. It's tuned to 25psi.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Fred931931
But Does it Creep when your set at 9 PSI ? I bet it does !
actually it doesnt. i have many people that can back this up.

Quick Reply: least amount of creep with 35r