Notices

larger injectors with blue box

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 10:26 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management

Has anyone here tried running larger injectors (440's-550's) with the Greddy SOHC turbo kit and used the Greddy FCU (blue box) to mangage your fuel? Were you able to boost higher without running lean to say, 10-11psi?

I am interested in this because I would rather use that setup to run up to 10 psi than the VAFC hack I have been reading about lately. If the blue box can't handle it, the VAFC hack sounds like the best plan for my needs and my wallet but I would rather not have to shell out any more money on the VAFC if I could avoid it.

What I want to achieve is around 10-11psi of boost and to make around 210whp. This is my goal because I don't want to build my engine and I know that the SOHC will handle about 200-210whp. I think that I can reach that on 10-11psi which is just about what the stock MAP sensor will handle.

If I use larger injectors, and raise the boost, the blue box (or so I am guessing) will keep the injectors open for just as long but the injectors I will use will be bigger therefore deliver the added fuel needed for higher boost. My fuel pump will be upgraded to a Walbro High Flow 255lph. It might work. If it doesn't, I will get the SAFC or VAFC, unplug the blue box, and go the hack route.

The solution to use the VAFC for fuel management up to 11psi just got me thinking that many things are possible. I mean, why not use what I already have. Other people slam the piggy back blue box but I have had no problems using it the past year and my buddies who use it have had no problems either. I would need to get it on a dyno to make sure I was tuned ok but it would help if someone else has already been able to make it work. Anyone?

[Modified by turbod97ex, 1:31 AM 7/7/2002]
Old 07-06-2002, 10:36 PM

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (turbod97ex)

hey steve whats up..this is amit from ms if you remember me...i got a fuel pump u can have if you need it...email me..later man
Old 07-06-2002, 11:01 PM

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (turbod97ex)

Has anyone here tried running larger injectors (440's-550's) with the Greddy SOHC turbo kit and used the Greddy FCU (blue box) to mangage your fuel? Were you able to boost higher without running lean to say, 10-11psi?
[Modified by turbod97ex, 1:31 AM 7/7/2002]
You should be able to run 10-11psi with 440cc injectors and the Greddy box without any problem as long as you have something to tune your fuel - like the Apexi SAFC / VAFC.

We've used the Greddy box without any problems (no check valves) up to about 16/17psi when used in conjunction with the VAFC.

Hope this helps,
Old 07-06-2002, 11:13 PM
New User

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (Mike@Altered)

If I had the VAFC, I would use it and ditch the blue box. I like the idea of using the DSM 450cc injectors, high flow fuel pump, and AFC to handle my fuel management according to the "hack" method I have read about lately. Can you think of why I would need the blue box at that point? I know that the old way of thinking would be to use a setup like you describe but since people are able to completely handle fuel management using the hack and no blue box, I don't see why I would keep using the blue box at that point.

If I understood exactly what the blue box did I would be able to answer my own question but I don't.
Old 07-07-2002, 10:42 AM

If I understood exactly what the blue box did I would be able to answer my own question but I don't.

The box works sort of like a fuel cut defensor. It modifies the signal going to the ECU and more or less caps the amount the computer sees - so this way the computer never sees (to a point) the value that would be considered too much and cause the computer to go into a protective mode.

Hope this helps,
Old 07-07-2002, 03:31 PM
New User

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (Mike@Altered)

Not really. I want to know what will happen if I use larger injectors and ran 10 psi. I think that the blue box work similarly to the VAFC hack but I am not certain. I think the only way to know is to try an tune it with 450 injectors and see what happens on the dyno. Thanks
Old 07-07-2002, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well hey man. Do you just have the blue box? Basically what i'm getting at is, do you NEED a v-afc to tune, if you are only running 8psi on a greddy kit??? What is your setup as of now?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2002, 04:14 PM

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (ill_take_one)

20 psi whit greddy blue box here
setup is top secret!!!
mike
Old 07-07-2002, 10:18 PM
New User

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (super$$)

20 psi whit greddy blue box here
setup is top secret!!!
mike
Thanks Mike, I will remember all the help you gave the next time I see you posting a question about something and need help. Keep your comments to yourself if ain't got nothing to say This isn't the "I've got a secret" forum. Troll someplace else why don't you.

Hey ill_take_one, I know that I could tune with a blue box and VAFC but what I want to know is can it be tuned with only the blue box and say, larger injectors and a high-flo fuel pump.

My current setup is top secret. Hehe, just had to get that in there. Actually my setup uses the stock fpr, fuel pump, stock injectors and the blue box. The limit this way is around 7-8 psi. I am going to add larger injectors and a high flow fuel pump and see if I can raise the boost to 10 psi successfully.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So then, my question is, when i throw my greddy kit on....can i just "up" the boost right away to 7-8psi if i have a stock fuel system??? If not, what would i need. I thought the blue box is supposed to take care of everything up to about 8psi, right?
Old 07-11-2002, 08:31 PM

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (ill_take_one)

So then, my question is, when i throw my greddy kit on....can i just "up" the boost right away to 7-8psi if i have a stock fuel system??? If not, what would i need. I thought the blue box is supposed to take care of everything up to about 8psi, right?
if you install a complete greddy kit your fuel system will no longer be stock because you will have larger injectors, which will be controlled via the blue box. and 7-8 psi should be fine.
Old 07-11-2002, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (downpipe)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the blue box's supplied with those greddy kits calibrated for the 310cc injectors that come with the kits?
Old 07-12-2002, 06:25 AM

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (turboeg)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the blue box's supplied with those greddy kits calibrated for the 310cc injectors that come with the kits?
yes, correct. but i think some people are using it with bigger injectots and a v-afc becasue the blue box will still prevent the computer from throwing a cell...it keep the map sensor from seeing boost.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (downpipe)

I dont have an SI or GSR, i just have a civic ex. The greddy kits for my car, doesnt come with bigger injectors, at least i've always thought that.
So NOW can i just up the boost? or should i get a bigger fuel pump? if so, which kind???
thanks
Old 07-13-2002, 07:40 AM

there are many people just bolt on the kit and run like 8 psi
but it won't last long, you can try it, and by the time u know you run lean, u will either need some bigger injectors and fuel pump

Steve, I would say you should buy a SAFC, don't install it
go to a dyno and use the blue box and see how it works, if it does not work out for 10 psi, then install the SAFC and tune it using the hack way

I have heard EVERYBODY said the blue box would only work up to 8 psi, and i have NO IDEA why.. haha.. maybe it will blow up??

but i would love to see some results on the dyno too.. people are just not willing to spend money on the dyno with the blue box ! hehe...

keep us updated Steve
Old 07-13-2002, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (xbird)

Ok, my question now is...how the hell do you dyno tune a greddy kit, with only a blue box? Can you manually change things on the blue box? Like fuel/ignition etc? i never thought so. SO if thats true, how do you "tune" it off of a dyno? wouldnt you need like a Apexi V-AFC or something similar???
Someone please clarify
Thanks, i really need to know this before i buy my kit here soon.
Peace
Old 07-13-2002, 10:39 AM
New User

With the Greddy SOHC kit and blue box and stock fuel pump, injectors, etc. you cannot adjust anything. The blue box does not allow any adjustment. If you want to use the blue box and have some sort of adjustment capability, you will need something like the VAFC. Still, this only allows you to adjust the fuel and gives you no way to adjust the timing. You would need something like an MSD add on too. If you are not going to boost higher than 10 psi, you could just retard the timing a couple of degrees or so to help eliminate detonation.
Hondata is looking more and more like the way to go.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With the Greddy SOHC kit and blue box and stock fuel pump, injectors, etc. you cannot adjust anything. The blue box does not allow any adjustment. If you want to use the blue box and have some sort of adjustment capability, you will need something like the VAFC. Still, this only allows you to adjust the fuel and gives you no way to adjust the timing. You would need something like an MSD add on too. If you are not going to boost higher than 10 psi, you could just retard the timing a couple of degrees or so to help eliminate detonation.
Hondata is looking more and more like the way to go.

So. my situation:
I'm going to boost a MAX of 8psi, due to my auto trans. (probably cant take much more than that, if that!) anyway, what should i get for ignition then? i was only planning on getting plugs/wires...
man, things are getting so complicated.
Do i need to upgrade my ignition, if so what? :
Do i need a fuel pump, if so, what? :
What the hell else do i need to "tune" it? :

thanks, sorry for being off topic.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:59 AM
New User

For 8 psi, you MIGHT need to do some fuel upgrades. You will not need to change your timing if you are using the Greddy kit and blue box which is what I am running. I boost to 7.4 psi or thereabouts and have no problems with detonation. If I go to 8 psi and am under a heavy load, I hear detonation. My solution, turn down the boost . The hp gain from 7.4 to 8 psi was not enough for me to change my fuel setup to accomodate the extra boost. If I were you, I would do the same. My setup is as follows:
Greddy SOHC kit
Greddy Type 26 intercooler
Greddy Oil Cooler
TurboXS MBC
Old 07-13-2002, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man for the help. But the thing is, my car has 90,000+ miles on it. I highly doubt that the fuel pump is working in the same condition as new. If i replaced it, should i just go stock again?
Again, i'm NOT going over 8psi, most likely!
Peace
Old 07-13-2002, 03:01 PM

i would just swap a aftermarket one isntead of OEM honda

goo dluck
Old 06-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (TurBoXBirD16)

bump...I'd like to know if you can run 10 lbs. of boost on the blue box with a 255 intank and 310cc injectors
Old 06-01-2003, 04:01 PM

u guys should definitely go on http://turbod16.no-ip.com and bring your questions there. they help me out all the time
Old 06-01-2003, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Save your money and get a REAL fuel managment system if you going to run 10psi+. Yes all other other stuff may work including the 'hack', but why mess around with all that mickey mouse bullshit? AEM or hondata.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: larger injectors with blue box instead of VAFC hack for fuel management (MachAF)

Hey, give me $1k+ and I gladly would

Quick Reply: larger injectors with blue box