Notices

just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP

Ok, I just finished installing my turbo the other day. And now today it kept dying on me and idling really really low, less then 150 rpms.

My first concern is that I guess I ran out of gas. However my gas gauge showed that I still had 3/4 tank left. But I added more gas and now it's at least starting. It wouldn't even start before. Just so you know, I never boosted and hardly ever came close. I'm waiting until I had my downpipe installed and everything in order before I boost. So what could i have damaged if I ran out of gas? Oh yes, and while I was driving my car to the welding shop to get my downpipe installed, the car was running really really really bad, I had a CEL light on the whole time, but that's because I don't have the 02 hooked up yet. But what was weird was that every time I pressed the clutch in, the oil and battery lights would come on and then soon after the car would die. This all happned driving at about 30 mph. And ontop of all of this I couldn't get the car to go above 40 mphs at the most.

So does anyone know what might be the problem? The only piece left to my turbo is the downpipe and 02 sensor. Would none of these things lead to this many problems. Oh and another thing, I was watching my boost guage and I almost started boosting going 20 mph in 4th gear at about 2000 rpms. I was trying to avoid positive boost as much as possible until I got everything together, but should I have started boosting that early?

My setup:

450cc DSM injectors w/ resistor box
filetofit's map limiter
14b turbo
dropshop manifold
temperary radiator hose for charge pipes
side mount dsm intercooler

Please give any suggestions and ask me more questions to help me solve this. Hehe, and my a/c is black as black without a downpipe...haha.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (asianspeed)

its probably your dsm and your resitor box wiring and or the map limiter doble check that stuff.. its usually elecrtonics that screw up turbo installs. Take it easy one step at time and keep it simple like art says and everythign goes well.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (asianspeed)

So you're running a turbo without a downpipe? Do you have exhaust piping at all?
Old 02-05-2003, 03:04 PM

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (b18bturbo)

The only thing about the electronics that I could have messed up on would be where I tapped into the wires. I didn't tap into the map sensor wires directly after they came off of the map sensor, I did it at a clip. As shown below.

And I tapped into the injector wiring near a clip near the master cylinder...as shown on hondata's page.

Other than that, I didn't do anything else to the electronics. But that makes sense that it would have to do with something like that.

[Modified by asianspeed, 2:36 PM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 03:06 PM

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (lazy bum shaughn)

yes, I'm running the turbo with no exhast piping at all. it's just blowing off into my engine bay. Right onto my A/C to be exact. It really stinks...makes me feel sick after a while.

But I do have piping, I was actually on my way to get the piping welded and installed when all of this happened.

Would having no exhasut/back pressure cause any of these problems?
Old 02-05-2003, 03:19 PM

I have never ran an injector resistor box, but If I were you I would disconect it if its not that hard and put your stock injectors in and if it the car runs normal then you know where you problem is.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (JdmRiceMonster)

whats controlling those injectors? AFC hack, standalone??
Old 02-05-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (MiraiZ)

filetofit's map limiter is controlling the injectors.

Filetofit described it as this, "The difference between this method (maplimiter) and the AFC or SMC is that the scale factors are not RPM dependent, rather they are boost or vacuum dependent."

[Modified by asianspeed, 3:34 PM 2/5/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

filetofit's map limiter is controlling the injectors.

Filetofit described it as this, "The difference between this method (maplimiter) and the AFC or SMC is that the scale factors are not RPM dependent, rather they are boost or vacuum dependent."

[Modified by asianspeed, 2:40 PM 2/5/2003]
WTF?...I'd bet money that that's the problem...get an AFC or standalone
Old 02-05-2003, 04:35 PM

I've heard that this is working pretty well for the people that are using it.
Old 02-05-2003, 05:46 PM

works fine for us. but hrmm ... on your car .... did you just TAP the wires ?>? cuz i know theres one wire u gotta cut and wire it to thhe map limiter and the other wiire to another in the map limiter basically

wire input-----maplimiter----wireoutput
Old 02-05-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (project dc2)

Yes, I did cut one of the wires. It was the red one if I recall correctly.
Old 02-05-2003, 09:12 PM

I'm confused on how Filetofit'ss MAP limiter works. Does it just work like an electric check valve?
Old 02-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (tzsir)

so it delivers fuel based on manifold pressure ONLY? hmmmm ...how does it know your using 450cc as oppsed to stock injectors?
Old 02-05-2003, 10:53 PM

I'm not exactly sure how it all works, but here are a few links that have talked about it. You can also IM filetofit, he's very helpful.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=230441
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=212590
Old 02-05-2003, 11:28 PM

dude, im not sure about what management you're using...or if u are using one, but you need something to controll your 450s. thats probably why you're having idle problems.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm...I'm kinda skeptical here...this little device is not reading RPMs....is it sending the correct fuel amount to its respective MAP pressure and engine speed?

Your symtoms also suugest incorrect readings from the map sensor as well....Filrofits device sounds okay in theory, but why use an experimental system that someone made in his free time? I would get something that is a bit more proven, and a bit more mainstream. It seams that the only person who knows exactly what's going on is Fileofit. so I'd hit him up for answers, or get something that is more widely supported....my 2 yen

[Modified by MiraiZ, 5:39 PM 2/6/2003]
Old 02-05-2003, 11:34 PM

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (lilxvtecxpwr)

I've the map limiter that's controlling my fuel. What more do I need?
Old 02-05-2003, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've the map limiter that's controlling my fuel. What more do I need?
sorry for sounding like a smart ***, but you need to get a proper fuel system...something that is more widely supported
Old 02-05-2003, 11:55 PM

Yes, I agree and understand that. But for right now I'm just trying to get the car working to be able to drive around....I don't even want to boost yet. So this is just a temp fix until I have more money for a standalone.

But basically, this seems like to be the weak link in my setup. installing the injectors are pretty straight forward, and the resistor box is also....the only iffy thing is this map limiter. If anyone else is running it, could you tell me what wires go where so I could double check them.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:42 AM

dunno maybe this is a dumb idea..but reinstall stock injectors and take out the limiter???? then your car should start and run like a regular car as for the idle problem..mine used too do the same thing..adjust the idle screw

my dad would scream when i went close..wouldnt lemme touch it, had me take it down too honda..and guess what??they paid 70 bucks for a mechanic too adjust a screw a lil
Old 02-06-2003, 06:29 AM

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (GOLDBERG)

Put your O2 sensor in and get a SAFC or better fuel management system. I put 370cc injectors in my GSR turbo and it idled like **** with the Low throttle setting at stock....I had to take 37% out at idle to get it to run smoothly.....Your car will run like **** without the 02 in also....take care of the basic stuff first, then start tuning.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (EG9turbo)

You don't need an AFC to run the hack. The AFC is just a 300$ way to do it. I'm running the hack, and all I'm doing is setting the afc to the same (-38) value across the board. SO, if he is cutting the MAP VOLTAGE back with a resistor or whatever he is using, that's the SAME THING as the AFC HACK. Think about it, if the AFC settings are the same across the board, you might as well not have your TPS hooked up b/c it doesn't make any diffence, since all settings for all rpms + TPS are the same. SO, that's not his problem, granted he wired it right. I was thinking about the whole subject, and it seems to me that you could tune 450cc injectors with somthing as simple as a variable resistor pot. It's the stock ECU that handles fuel with the HACK or any other method that follows that idea, all the AFC (or what he's using) does is cut map voltage by whatever percent its set at... PERIOD. That's what accounts for the 450cc injectors and allows for a good idle. Get it?
Old 02-06-2003, 07:46 AM

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (Johnyquest)

Sure thing jackass.....i bet your car is real fast with your SOHC....do you speak from experience or are you just an internet junky that gets all your info from reading these posts?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:23 AM

Default Re: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP (EG9turbo)

Could someone tell me what the 3 wires are on the map sensor and which wire does what? That way I can check if I've got that wired correctly or not. I know that there's a 5+ volt, ground, and a sensor wire. What color goes with each one? To tell you the truth, I hope I didn't wire it correctly....so that way this will be the problem and it'll be fixed. Because I can't really think of anything else that might be causing this.

Thanks

Quick Reply: just installed turbo...what could be the problem??? HELP