Notices

JRSC safer for ITR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JRSC safer for ITR?

I've done some looking around and saw that people who turbo'd the ITR's have much more internal work done to their engines that those who supercharged them. Is it safer to run a supercharger on stock itr internals (maybe cams) instead of turbo?From what i've learned about turboing the R the main thing you need to focus on is lowering the compression to keep it safe, or tune it really well... but do you have to lower the compression in order to supercharge? If you do or do not have to then whats the reasoning behind this?

Thanks
Old 08-22-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC safer for ITR? (needanew1)

We have turbo charged and supercharger many Bone staock ITRs , With a correct setup and tuning you can run 250-260whp supercharged. Lowering the compression will make it a safer and easier to tune , Depends on your goals.
You can run 300-330 whp Turbo charged on stock internals.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC safer for ITR? (CRVRX)

I was always told that turboing a type R and leaving it stock would just be too dangerous because of compression. But (about) how long would an experienced tuner have to spend on the dyno to tunea turbo'd itr on stock internals? and would it be worth it to just get a thicker head gasket to lower compression or would you suggest low comp pistons as well?
Old 08-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's all in the set up and the tune. Example : We built a bone stock ITR with one of turbo kits , at 9 psi it made 290 whp and has ben untouched for 1.5 years.
With more boost or a little more timing it may have done more but it would affect long term relability.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC safer for ITR? (CRVRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRVRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's all in the set up and the tune. Example : We built a bone stock ITR with one of turbo kits , at 9 psi it made 290 whp and has ben untouched for 1.5 years.
With more boost or a little more timing it may have done more but it would affect long term relability.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats awesome
good work
what turbo?
care to share the dyno sheet
Old 08-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC safer for ITR? (spoolin turbo s)

i too would really like to know this information... : )
Old 08-22-2006, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost is Boost, it doesnt matter if its a supercharger forcing the air into the motor or if its a turbo. Supercharger is not better for the motor, it just has less parts so theres a lower chance of something breaking. Also set at the same psi, a turbo will always make more power
Old 08-22-2006, 05:47 PM

Default Re: JRSC safer for ITR? (SiR99)

At higher boost levels, a turbo is safer than a jrsc because of the heat an eaton creates over 12 psi. Heat will make pistons expand, and scrape your cylinder walls, and on stock cast pistons you can kiss them goodbye.

I say go turbo, and tune conservatively.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC safer for ITR? (sc4dr)

Yea, i'd like to turbo but there is just soo much to it and so much that can go wrong. And trust me i've done a TON of research on turbo's but its hard for me to understand what everyone is talking about without actually seeing the pieces and installing them in person... im just one of those types of learners. Another problem is, i can afford to turbo/supercharge it but if something goes wrong im head deep in the water without a car because im a poor college kid lol.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Save you money until your out of college. Turbo takes a lot to keep up. I know this from experience. You don't want to ride a 10 speed bike to campus or around town.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC safer for ITR? (Chris.B.)

No i dont.. but i do want boost lol. and i have the moneyt o spend and there's no way im going to build it n/a...
Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 PM

I think a lot of it depends on how crazy you are willing to go with your R. Big bucks for that powerplant still.. i see full swaps go for about 5300CAD. If you are scared you are gonna pop it, maybe sell the motor itself and try to find a good GSR motor. If you wanna go boost its always a "risk" with the ITR with stock internals. I"ve seen ppl that run 7-8psi and make 260-270ish and have no problems and then i seen ppl that run a " conservative" 6-7psi and blow their motor. If you have a good tuner, its def possible to make good power and be "safe". Otherwise i would settle for a supercharger kit, they have been proven on stock internals, and they should be pretty safe in the long run.

If you are worried about your motor maybe its a good idea to do a leakdown and compression test. Yes it only tells you soo much and leaves other variables out but it gives you a heads up on the general condition of your motor..

just my .02...

good luck!

Old 08-23-2006, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: JRSC safer for ITR? (sirguy01)

If you don't have the money to do it right , leave it alone till you do. Swapping the motor for a GSR would be a sin on an R ......lol

You could drop some GSR pistons in there , that would be around 9.7 to 1 which is alot safer.
But if your going to boost it , do your research , don't buy junk or the stupid E-bay kits .
Do it right or do it twice.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:08 AM

There's a larger factor you need to consider before boosting at all. First, what kind of car do you want the R to be? Supercharging and turbo charging net two totally different experiences. Super's will obviously increase alot of low and mid range torque, while only supplying "some" high end horsepower. This setup will be easier to drive on the street, as it will have good response throughout the torque band. Turbochargers, however, can often do just the opposite. Now I'm assuming you want a larger than factory turbo for your setup, typically a T3/T4 with probably a .63 AR, just a guess. Turbos like this will have some of both midrange and topend, which inevitably depends upon how conservative you tune the car, and how well the tune is to begin with. Turbo's like SC61's, T3/T67's, GT32R and GT35R's will be HUGE top-end, even at low boost. On the flip side, these turbo's won't make ANYTHING low end, and only part of the mid-range torque will be felt until the turbo has spooled enough to make 5-7psi. Then you'll feel it. Regardless of which setup you use, boost is boost. Superchargers are pretty darn easy to tune as compared to turbos. IMHO, I wouldn't do either. The R motor was race inspired and is certainly intended for all motor usage. It's such a bad A$$ all motor setup, and increasing flow to the intake, head and exhaust will be rewarding, especially the sounds...

You could also build a nice turbo for the motor for about the same price as the JRSC super. You should also know that if you intend to upgrade internals later and add boost, you should get a turbo, cause the M62 doesn't provide much over 300whp, and it would be amazing to get that out of it. Not very efficient with high boost. Whichever you do, just don't go over 7psi with stock internals, espcially if your running 11:1/1 CR, dangerous. Head gaskets won't lower compression any more than .3 or so, which helps, but not enough to guarantee detonation free cruising.

Might I also add something: that Type-R motor is one of the rarest of setups, especially if the numbers match from your motor to the car. Don't ruin the motor that sells the way it is. Be smart, be patient, and make sure the modifications your about to do have been accounted for, and make sure everything is in consideration when doing this setup.
Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WickedHonda00)

Thanks alot, that helped out a huge amount!!