Notices

JRSC boost levels changing depending on mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JRSC boost levels changing depending on mods

i've read many things in the past that cause the boost levels of the jrsc to change. if i remember right, a more free flowing exhaust will lower what the boost guage says. does this mean that power is lost as well? or is it just related to backpressure or something. additionally, lets say i place a heat exchanger core in my manifold. that would lower the boost reading as well, i assume. however, would the colder air temp make up for the lost boost? would i feel a gain or loss in power (i know reliablilty goes up with lower temps, but does the power change?). i hope i stated this clear enough, and i hope that all of you turbo guru's arent getting sick of all the recent SC threads
Old 01-27-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: JRSC boost levels changing depending on mods (keebler65)

If you increase the flow over stock you'll be flowing more air than stock, right? With this in mind on a set pressure type of FI like a roots style supercharger you can only push so much pressure for each pulley, but if your engine can ingest more than the particular pullies PSI rating you'll have a lower amount of actual "boost".

If you were to put a heat exchanger in your manifold your temps will drop causing the air to be more dense, and this would in turn cause the pressure to drop. The denser air would more than make up for te lost boost. Remember it's the quality of the air going in not the pressure of it. With lower temps you can run more ignition.

I'm actually interested in bettering the forms of SC that are available. Let's face it the JRSC is the only worthwhile system on the market currently. Good luck with it and post some pics on your manifold if you do that please.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JRSC boost levels changing depending on mods (tzsir)

thanks for the reply....i think its making a little more sense now.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:54 AM

I can help, if you need anthing more PM me.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:08 AM
New User

After doing the Z6 head swap and using the A6 exhaust manifold, my boost went up to something like 9 psi. After swapping to a OEM Z6 exhaust manifold, it then dropped back down to 6 psi. Really did not notice a performance gain per say, if anything it just moved the torque band around a little to the higher end.... hehehehe

[Modified by 88_SC_CRX_Si, 9:18 AM 1/28/2003]