Notices

JR Supercharger needs some work!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR Supercharger needs some work!

Finally got this kit out from the depths of the shop and figured that it was about time to get it on finally. It has been sitting for way to long so I figured that I would rebuild the supercharger first when I discovered a couple things that needed some attention.

I have all new idle pulleys, snout seal, oil, bearings, belt, coupler, whatever that special sealant is they use on the housing to rotor plate and plate to snout. pretty sure I got everything I need.

The problems consist of the casting marks and port matches. Second the coating on the rotors is coming off. Third and probably the smallest is the housing is slightly scared up from the coating coming off and scratching it.

The housing I can fix with a few different pieces of sand paper. The S-tube and intake port with the die grinder. My question is with the rotors. What can I use to remove the coating? Aircraft stripper? or is there something else that works? Also what kinda boost lose is seen from this coating not filling that gap in the housing? If there is a decent amount of boost lose I will just send them off to be recoated.

Just so you know it is a M45 kit for Y8 D-series. planning on running stock boost w/ Hondata heat shield and S300. I am not trying to make a this extreme power build or anything.

I will keep posting updates as they get done.
Attached Images      
Old 06-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: JR Supercharger needs some work!

again, have highspeed labs rebuild your supercharger, and port the intake manifold and such with a dremel
Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hear ya Spawne32, I checked out highspeedlabs.com.

I am just seeing if anyone knows what the performance difference is with coating to no coating before I let go of that cash.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the teflon coating is designed to reduce heat that is produced between the rotors, alot of people will argue that stripping the coating makes no difference in heat build up but honestly in my opinion, if thats the way eaton designed them to operate, thats the way it should be. So i always recommend having the coating redone.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I plan on send my SC unit to stiegemeier... he ports and rebuilds the blower for 600... i thought that was a steal cause magnuson charges ~800 for a rebuild.. and like ^ said the felon coating is to keep temps down but once it starts peeling it goes into the engine and thats no bueno... so they usually strip the coating off
Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I need to call the highspeedlab.com today. The coating they use is even supposed to be a temp barrier coating. I am definitely not wanting to half *** it and try all these things to reduce high intake temps to let a coating not being applied screw all that up.

but just for the sake of argument or conversation whichever you would like to call it; does anyone know the amount of boost pressure lost or the degree of intake air temp. rise that we suspect?

I am waiting on rmcdaniels to chime in with .02$ here i know he is the SC guru.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alot of the re-builders use different coatings and alot of them will actually coat the casing as well to improve resistance against heatsoak, its not a bad thing by no means when its done right.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I could see it being beneficial. I am guessing that they have hone out the housing to make clearance for an extra coating on the housing. I didn't really see anything on stiegemeier's website about the rotor coating removal or reapplication but I didn't call them either. High Speed Labs does the coating but Stieg's looks like a good porting service if I decide to go that way.

Paying money for porting, rebuilding, and reworking a m45 i am sure would raise some questions from people on this forum.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have mixed feelings about stiegemeiers porting services, ive heard of people losing hp, or not gaining anything at all, and they dont recoat the rotors at all, they strip them completely.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When i was looking on their website I didn't see any smaller eaton sc in any of their photos. It is going to come down to me talking to them and seeing how much experience they have with these small M45's and/ or the JRSC kit.

Seeing that I need to get my rotors recoated and they don't offer that service as far as we know i don't know how much they can help me. I don't know if high speed labs will just do the coating on my casing and rotors or not though. I have to talk to them as well.

I will probably do the mild porting my self. Most of the work needed is on the s-tube and IM. Doubt I will do anything but touch up the housing. Getting good tools over here in Germany sucks I could go to hardware store and get everything i needed in the states but here i have to order almost everything. Snail-Mail!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got a quote from them last year, they do work on them, he quoted me 650 for just the port work and rotor stripping. I ported the housing and the intake manifold myself, dremel does the job just fine with the sanding rolls. Just takes longer without the carbide burrs.

JR's intake manifold castings are just god aweful, and the casting on my supercharger outlet is terrible as well, but we are doing the port work ourselves here on mine.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah after I looked at the kit close i realized how poorly their castings were. I probably will just use the Dremel. I would like to use the carbide on the big stuff like that s-tube but even i bought one to have it shipped over here I would have to use it with a transformer because of the 220V power here and the frequency is a little lower here so electric motors tend not to run that well off it.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I started porting the housing inlet today. thought I would put up a pic. I need to get some better flap wheels but I just about have to order them because Germany is stupid. I still have to do the housing and s-tube.

I did find a funny video of an over ported M90 that made me laugh. follow the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2amYGMIh7E&NR=1

He posted pics of the port job they did on his housing. You can tell these a$$ holes had no clue what they were doing with a SC.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...o/IMG_0350.jpg
Attached Images    
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

excellent work on the porting, while your there you can actually match the blower housing to that port, just be very careful and meticulous about your work, because you can only take material away, and blower cases are alot harder to come by lol

heres a ported M45

Old 07-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did they take off that much material when you got your housing outlet ported? I didn't think they would take that much but it looks good. How does it perform? That is a M62 right?

edit: never mind i see where you say it is a M45 now. The inlet just looked different. and it had a four rib pulley on it.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know how that performs specifically, i havent done mine yet, the OEM style eaton blowers that the JR kits use have the silencer ports on them to reduce noise by bypassing some air before it gets pushed through the outlet. This is for cars that come with superchargers from the factory to meet a gov standard for noise or something, its completely unnecessary, and a couple folks have shown a little bit of a gain by blocking these off. Safest way to do it is by having them welded shut although alot of people use JBweld but i have seen a couple folks where it broke off, and either the supercharger or the engine ate it.

Widening the outlet is a science really, you can increase gains by widening both ends by improving the amount of air that can be sucked in, as well as the speed at which it exits, however the rotors are timed, this is key to how the supercharger functions. Which is why that over ported blower you posted does absolutely nothing, because the air just doesnt squeeze into the intake manifold properly anymore.

You can gain some by smoothing out the outlet port, trying a different angle, and widening it by a small amount.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

the only thing you can over port is the sc outlet...

port matching the inlet is not considered over porting
Old 07-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
i got a quote from them last year, they do work on them, he quoted me 650 for just the port work and rotor stripping. I ported the housing and the intake manifold myself, dremel does the job just fine with the sanding rolls. Just takes longer without the carbide burrs.
JR's intake manifold castings are just god aweful, and the casting on my supercharger outlet is terrible as well, but we are doing the port work ourselves here on mine.

who did you get a quote from for 650??

and yeah i was looking at the jr kit and it looks prett shitty especially the inlet right after the s pipe there is atleast a 20% blockage because of the bypass valve
Originally Posted by HCivExoo
Originally Posted by Spawne32
excellent work on the porting, while your there you can actually match the blower housing to that port, just be very careful and meticulous about your work, because you can only take material away, and blower cases are alot harder to come by lol

heres a ported M45
and this unit ^^ was ported by stiegemeier
|
heres LHT's port \|/

Last edited by jonesEK; 07-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonesEK
who did you get a quote from for 650??

and yeah i was looking at the jr kit and it looks prett shitty especially the inlet right after the s pipe there is atleast a 20% blockage because of the bypass valve

and this unit ^^ was ported by stiegemeier
|
heres LHT's port \|/

the 650 quote was for just porting from stiegemeier, im aware of what the picture is.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but the OP probably doesnt

found another pic of steigemier(sp?)'s work

Originally Posted by Ldo

Last edited by jonesEK; 07-03-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some of the stuff i have ready said that welding the air leakage ports shut can cause warping and a misshaped housing. Any one else read this? or had experience with it? I had considered a then piece of sheet tapping a couple holes and using that to block the air leakage ports but since the the metal would be on top it wouldn't really be making that any smoother/ as effective as saying blocked completely.

I didn't want to do too much to the outlet for that reason of being like that guy.

I wish I could get that crazy blockage out of the way of the housing inlet but there is only so much I can do there. I tried to just smooth it out as much as possible.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

welding the leakage holes shut can also cause efficiency problems with the super charger... some air has to be bypassed re-circulated back through the blower

go as big as you can with the inlet, some people end up making one anyways since the JR piece sucks.

and you cant beat stiegemeier when it comes to porting honestly... supercharger outlet porting is black magic, similar to that of the closely guarded head porting secrets, bigger isnt always better... theres a fine line between just right and way too big, remember that roots type blowers make pressure in the intake manifold, not in the blower...
Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My intention is to get as much air in as possible and really just clean up the outlet not so much port it. It will end up being bigger than it is now but not as big as those other M45 ports by Stiegemier.

Since I am not planning on running high boost and I should be able to get by with pretty decent performance. The car it is going in is lighter than most so it should still be a fun ride and that is all I am truly aiming for. But who knows, everybody knows how you get that itch for more after you got a little.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
welding the leakage holes shut can also cause efficiency problems with the super charger... some air has to be bypassed re-circulated back through the blower

go as big as you can with the inlet, some people end up making one anyways since the JR piece sucks.

and you cant beat stiegemeier when it comes to porting honestly... supercharger outlet porting is black magic, similar to that of the closely guarded head porting secrets, bigger isnt always better... theres a fine line between just right and way too big, remember that roots type blowers make pressure in the intake manifold, not in the blower...
the silencer ports have nothing to do with "efficiency" like i said they are there for OEM applications, Endyn used to offer blower porting services where they would close the ports but they dont do any blower services anymore. Magnuson blowers do not have silencer ports as they are considered aftermarket units that dont need to meet an OEM standard. You can get an MP62 or MP45 unit and it will look completely different on the outlet, similar to the way you would port a OEM eaton.

Wish i still had the picture of it, like i said they dyno proven performance gains, but only like 3hp difference, so its up to you whether or not you want to go through the trouble of doing it. You can warp the case by welding it if you are inexperienced, but I know some guys who are well taught in aluminum welding so I dont have that problem, they should be able to keep the heat down when welding.

You shouldnt have any problems just cleaning up the ports on the blower as long as you keep it even and keep the original shape. Like i said there have been mixed results about stiegemeier port work, ive seen people gain significant amounts, and ive seen others actually lose horsepower. For the price they charge I wasnt risking it with mine.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

endyn m45 port work

Quick Reply: JR Supercharger needs some work!