Notices

Jdm type r

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jdm type r

I am new to this Honda thing and I want to turbocharge my 1997 jdm Honda integra type R. But I am unable to get good info on the car and compression. I was wondering what a safe amount of boost to safely run on a daily driven type R and make decant power??
Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jdm type r

ok if u can't figure out ur compression then just go to a shop and have them do it.

whats decent power? nobody's phycic. everyone's different on the opionion on "safe".

its all in the tune theirs been a few of these threads a day just scroll down and u should find someone askin the same question
Old 03-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92civicx
ok if u can't figure out ur compression then just go to a shop and have them do it.

whats decent power? nobody's phycic. everyone's different on the opionion on "safe".

its all in the tune theirs been a few of these threads a day just scroll down and u should find someone askin the same question
No way in hell I'm letting someone else touch my car. I was asking what the stock compression on these little 4 bangers. I live in okinawa japan so it hard to find honda tunners in my area. Decent power is more than i have now. I am a v8 guy but due to the fact I'm overseas I had to seatle for a honda and this thing is super slow I just want to make it have decent power 280+

Last edited by gator1; 03-10-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=gator1;37712993]No way in hell I'm letting someone else touch my car.QUOTE]

So, I take it you are going to tunr the car since you will not let anyone else touch it. The first thing that you need to do is find someone there that can tune a car correctly and get to know them or at least find out how good they actually are.

If you have some one tune the car right you should be able to make 280 with out an issue. go to this site and put in all of your information on the engine to get the comp. http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...c/compcalc.php
Old 03-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Since you are in Japan, perhaps you may need to find a different kind of "4 banger" that already is turbocharged, you have a LOT of options to choose from over there. Since you won't let anyone else with skill touch the car, that might be your best course of action, and keep the Type R, NA.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Since you are in Japan, perhaps you may need to find a different kind of "4 banger" that already is turbocharged, you have a LOT of options to choose from over there. Since you won't let anyone else with skill touch the car, that might be your best course of action, and keep the Type R, NA.
I'm pretty handy when it comes to tunning v8's but I don't know jack about these cars.I don't think I will find a honda tunner in my area. Well I have another turbo project I'm working on this is my cheap beater for dd. I just want to get some power out of this thing it handles well but it supper slow. NA is not a option I want a car that is somewhat quick I would have to dump a ton of money to make it quick NA.

Last edited by gator1; 03-11-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=wright54;37713408]
Originally Posted by gator1
No way in hell I'm letting someone else touch my car.QUOTE]

So, I take it you are going to tunr the car since you will not let anyone else touch it. The first thing that you need to do is find someone there that can tune a car correctly and get to know them or at least find out how good they actually are.

If you have some one tune the car right you should be able to make 280 with out an issue. go to this site and put in all of your information on the engine to get the comp. http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...c/compcalc.php
Thanks for that site it pretty helpfull
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gator1
I'm pretty handy when it comes to tunning v8's but I don't know jack about these cars.I don't think I will find a honda tunner in my area. Well I have another turbo project I'm working on this is my cheap beater for dd. I just want to get some power out of this thing it handles well but it supper slow. NA is not a option I want a car that is somewhat quick I would have to dump a ton of money to make it quick NA.
If you run a search here you will get a LOT of results. Type "type r turbo." When you say you know about tuning v8's does that mean fuel injected v8's or carburrated (sp?). There are a lot of threads about tuning. If you want a decent place to start www.pgmfi.org will help you with some tuning basics. They will give you some good starting points for safe timing and afr's. Things like retarding timing 1deg for every psi of boost and running afr's of 12 for boost pressures <10psi and 11 afr's for boost pressures 10-20psi (dont remember the exact numbers and of course even those are ballpark figures).....

On a side note......why turbo a type r? Seems like a waste of a nice car. I think you forget that you are on a honda/acura site where a car like the type r is akin to the holy grail. I know that Japan has very strict smog laws so I am actually surprised that you have an older type r at all. If you can have an older type r, then why not get a beater civic or integra and tune that to start so you can get your feet wet. Your engine has a comparitively high comp ratio for turbocharging and I don't think anyone would suggest using it as your gunea pig for tuning. You will be walking the fine line of detonation. It would be a shame to blow this engine as it is a well put together and quite spunky (for a honda anyway) specimen.

As for not being able to find a tuner......I find that somewhat hard to believe as the whole import/tuner scene originated in Japan. HKS, Mugen, Spoon and a lot of other brands come from there. You should be able to find someone.

Begining tuning stuff - www.pgmfi.org
Also there is a whole Integra Type R forum on here.......you will find a LOT of info on your car, including comp ratio of your specific engine and the mods that others have done. Just remember.......disco potato. Disco potato.

GL.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
If you run a search here you will get a LOT of results. Type "type r turbo." When you say you know about tuning v8's does that mean fuel injected v8's or carburrated (sp?). There are a lot of threads about tuning. If you want a decent place to start www.pgmfi.org will help you with some tuning basics. They will give you some good starting points for safe timing and afr's. Things like retarding timing 1deg for every psi of boost and running afr's of 12 for boost pressures <10psi and 11 afr's for boost pressures 10-20psi (dont remember the exact numbers and of course even those are ballpark figures).....

On a side note......why turbo a type r? Seems like a waste of a nice car. I think you forget that you are on a honda/acura site where a car like the type r is akin to the holy grail. I know that Japan has very strict smog laws so I am actually surprised that you have an older type r at all. If you can have an older type r, then why not get a beater civic or integra and tune that to start so you can get your feet wet. Your engine has a comparitively high comp ratio for turbocharging and I don't think anyone would suggest using it as your gunea pig for tuning. You will be walking the fine line of detonation. It would be a shame to blow this engine as it is a well put together and quite spunky (for a honda anyway) specimen.

As for not being able to find a tuner......I find that somewhat hard to believe as the whole import/tuner scene originated in Japan. HKS, Mugen, Spoon and a lot of other brands come from there. You should be able to find someone.

Begining tuning stuff - www.pgmfi.org
Also there is a whole Integra Type R forum on here.......you will find a LOT of info on your car, including comp ratio of your specific engine and the mods that others have done. Just remember.......disco potato. Disco potato.

GL.
Thanks for the help I was starting to think everyone here was a A hole .I'm not mainland japan I'm on a tiny island south of japan so finding a tuner here will be a challenge.

Last edited by gator1; 03-11-2009 at 09:55 PM.