Notices

ITB Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITB Turbo?

Has anyone made an Individual Throttle Body kit for a turbo set up for the 1.8 DOHC? If not I may have to get creative.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: ITB Turbo?

look for old posts by a guy named tony the tiger, he did it a couple years ago, he had a couple wild setups
Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tony the tiger did it years ago with jenvey itb's, a custom plenum, and a gt28
Old 04-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Trial User

Good stuff. Thanks for the reply.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Trial User

Oh yeah I figured if no one had it out by now I'd have to get creative. I'm thinking of maybe a Golden Eagle style box would look good on the ITB's.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGVEhW3cqLw

his build list.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/8-...ers-car-2.html
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Trial User

Nice list... kind of like Thomas Edison going through filaments with the head gaskets to find the perfect one for him haha.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you already have the itb's?

If not don't waste your time and money doing this....It has a cool unique" factor to it, but thats about it, it actually just makes tuning the car more difficult, for no plausible gain over a single tb and plenum...
Old 04-14-2012, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^Guy Above is an idiot^^

Here is mine..

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...-6-speed-setup
Old 04-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^Guy above ME; BALLAR!^^

Hhahah that is cool man.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Trial User

Wow Tony the Tiger looked like he had boost right off the line. awesome video.Also thanks for the pics Boostage.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boostage

Here is mine..

Any proof your ITB's are better than a plenum setup?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Boostage

Here is mine..

You sir are the idiot, I would like to bet $ that the EXACT same results could be achieved with a plenum. It has been proven its not worth doing.

Oh.wait they must be better because you dropped a chunk of chsnge on them right?
A twin gt28 supra motor with itbs, im sure it will be very responsive, and still get its *** spanked by single turbo set ups with one throttle body and an intake manifold, but its COOL, because it has itbs........
Old 04-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

(1)If you were to bet dollars you would lose.
(2)Im sure You think ITB's are about peak hp this is why you think a plenum and Single Body can compare.
(3)where is this proof you speak of?
(4)My Twin GT28R ITB 1jz setup is for Road racing. getting spanked by single body setups hasnt happened yet.
(5)My single body setup for my 2jz is for mile runs.

I know the Pluses and drawbacks of Both setups from first hand experience. do you? If you are talking about a setup solely for a car that goes straight and nothing else then you are right there isnt an advantage over a single body. if you are in any kind of racing where Throttle/engine response is critical then you are flat out wrong.

My Tuner had NO issues with my 3s ITB turbo AE86. Prior to that setup was a single body setup on the same engine and I can assure you that the the car was MUCH quicker with the same power with ITB's. But clearly you know something I dont!

BTW here is a good example of ITB's versus Single Body setup in a Track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8vAxzLApPs
Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not going to thread jack and turn this into an argument thread. I absolutely knew you would say it was for a road race set up because I agree it will make a more responsive set up for this kind of racing.

That being said, it wont do much for 99% of builds, which are not track bred road race cars, they are simply weekend warriors.

You call me an idiot for telling someone the itb thing is not worth it, I am just trying to save someone who is probably not building a road race car with a huge budget a little bit of cash that could be spent well in other ways.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boosted_D, I probably jumped the gun calling you an idiot but let me say, Road racing is just where they really shine; but they still offer a nice gain on the street. your comment was suggesting that its just something to do just to be unique. thats far from the truth! these setups are much more fun on the street over single body in my opinion. not what I have read, but what I have felt from my own cars.

If you have driven a good high compression built N/a motor. they have great response on the street, just no ***** at all. if you have driven any turbo Honda with anything bigger than a 30r. they have ***** upstairs but feel and rev lazy outside of Boost. ITB's bridges that gap. Just blipping the gas sends the needle flying towards redline. Now I havent done this setup on a FWD car, but Tony the Tiger has and can give real world input if its a waste on these cars because Hondas are already traction limited, and having the motor spin even faster might not help. but I can tell you on RWD cars there is NO denying the difference in performance on the street or track. its night and day!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If ITB's are so great, why doesn't anyone sell aftermarket larger throttles for RB26's and most everyone converts to a single throttle
Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by damnilovepuzz3d
If ITB's are so great, why doesn't anyone sell aftermarket larger throttles for RB26's and most everyone converts to a single throttle
Same reason MINES kept the stock ITB's on their GTR. it works well. any bigger than stock and the response and streetabilty goes out the window. in other words, bigger is not always better, going bigger on ITB's has the same effect as going bigger on a single body. their 620hp package utilizes the factory ITB's 264 cams, and upgraded twins. the result is insane response, stock spool, and unbelievable street manners.

http://www.importtuner.com/features/...r/viewall.html
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everybody keeps thinking about peak power, spool on the dyno, etc... The reason for ITB's is to increase response, and response helps in all types of racing obviously.

We have turbo cars, and if the engine is lazy and unresponsive, then the turbo also becomes lazy and slow. The engine must work and propel energy before the turbo can receive its exhaust energy to spool up. ITB's increases power before the turbo spools, thus, any increase of power before spool RPM means it aids in spooling the turbo. Just like stroker kits, bigger bore, higher compression ratio, better cams, etc.. They improve spool simply by increasing engine VE, therefore, increasing air/fuel, combustion and more exhaust energy to boot With ITB's, you get a rush of increase VE based on throttle input, which is in fact, the best form of power increase if you want maximum boost response.

The ITB setup I had was killer... It laid the smack down on ALL the local N/A guys, steet, drag, circuit alike. Which N/A car can keep up with 380 WHP of turbo power that behaves like all motor? The power is so controllable due to the shear response, and you can modulate your throttle and power output just like an all motor car.

You don't put ITB's on a GT42R Honda, just like why Skylines don't keep their stock ITB's for 800+ WHP builds. Guys who think ITB's are complicated also shouldn't be tampering with ITB's anyway. Any EMS that has a clean MAP signal (good vac log setup) + any sort of TPS-based fueling (that can work in conjunction) will have all the tuning resolution it needs to properly dial the car in. My turbo ITB setup was my daily driven setup, considering that I didn't have any other cars to drive anyway during those years except for my turbo Camry...lol

Over the years, my goals for the Integra has changed... At one point, I still had the ITB's when I had a big GT4088R turbo on there. It was still 560+ WHP capable, and in fact, I lost power by going with a JG Victor-X IM. The Jenvey ITB's with a basic plenum was still a very efficient setup at those power levels. It doesn't prove anything, as we all know, intake manifold choice greatly depends on many other variables.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a pic of the setup when it was in sleeper mode:

Here's my best dyno on a GT2871R... Take note that my power curve looks just like most typical turbo setups, but I bet my video tells you something completely different. Response and power on tap is something that can never be illustrated on a dyno sheet.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:18 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I remember this car from a few years ago, and one of the sole reasons why the argument of higher compression, ITBs with a central plenum are valid. Great explanation..
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What would it cost to repeat this set-up and do you think it would work with GT35R ?
Old 10-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^Why not PM the guy instead of bring back an old *** thread? But since its already up top, god DAMN that is a sexy engine bay!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:13 AM
Good, Bad…I'm the one with the gun

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the process of doing a ITB turbo set-up on a D series.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Critikul
^^Why not PM the guy instead of bring back an old *** thread? But since its already up top, god DAMN that is a sexy engine bay!
Good idea, I was in the process of changing my question but Honda-tech did not co-operate. As far as bringing back an old thread I think that is better than creating a new one.

Quick Reply: ITB Turbo?