Notices

Intercoolers : Taller or Wider?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercoolers : Taller or Wider?

Power wise would it be better to have a 30" x 6" or a 24" x 8"? Assuming they are both 3" thick. What I am asking is it better to have more rows or longer rows? Dont say both I know this topis has been covered but I just spent 2 hours reading archieves and didnt really find much. Thanks All!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Intercoolers : Taller or Wider? (RedTegLS)

In this case the longer one. Why? B/c it has more surface area
Old 12-01-2003, 08:39 AM

Default Re: Intercoolers : Taller or Wider? (Del_Slowest)

So its just about surface area? better to have mor total surface area than in one specific direction (IE: taller or wider)
Old 12-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would go for most expossed.
As in why have a tall IC with a short front bumper opening? when you could use a long on that fits the shape of the bumper opening.
Old 12-01-2003, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more rows you have the more thermal transfer it is capable of. Increasing length helps but not as much as increasing the number of available rows. Plus with longer rows there is a point where the cooling increase stops and the problems with excessive volume start to take over.
I would pick the 8x24x3 core
Old 12-01-2003, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Intercoolers : Taller or Wider? (BROOD)

that makes a lot of sence about the bumper opening! I never thought of that. And being to long does too. See thats why I love this board *tear*
Old 12-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedTegLS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dont say both </TD></TR></TABLE>

BOTH.

I would have to say TALLER for overall performance gains. Like someone stated, an IC is only efficient to a certain point...increasing the length can only increase efficiency by so much.

Taller = more surface area. (30x6=180in^2) vs. (24x8=192in^2)

And even if it's not exposed directly to the airflow, it does help with the "intercooling" effect.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intercoolers : Taller or Wider? (98CTRCoupe)

Thicker is much better. Considering the actual heat transder takes place inbetween the tubes/bars. But in the case of taller vs wider, whichever you can add more surface area onto will cool the air better.

So lets say your ic is 25"x6"x3", then adding another 2 inches onto that height would increase the surface area by 50sq/in. It would take nearly and extra 8 and 1/3" to increase the surface area by 50 sq/in.

Taller = better.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Intercoolers : Taller or Wider? (tegasaurus)

Just like everything else...to a point it is better.
Too thick can be a bad thing. I would not use a core over 3" thick on anything but a heavy duty diesel truck. A 5" thick core on a turbo Honda would not be my favorite choice. Stick to 2.5"-3" thick cores, they are common place for a reason.

maximizing the rows is still the best way to increase heat transfer when picking the core.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BROOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just like everything else...to a point it is better.

Too thick can be a bad thing. I would not use a core over 3" thick on anything but a medium duty diesel truck or larger. A 5" core on a turbo Honda would not be my favorite choice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Explain your reasoning behind this... is it because you'd have to relocate your a/c lines? haha

edited for my crude humor.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:10 AM

Well I'm glad I'm a momentary source of entertainment for you

I guess I could ditch my 8x22x3 core for a 3x22x8thick core. That would be better. Sorry it violates all my pratical experiences with heat exchanges used in application like this. But heck I could be wrong....there are only unp-teen thousand engines running around holding up to my understandings.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BROOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I'm glad I'm a momentary source of entertainment for you

I guess I could ditch my 8x22x3 core for a 3x22x8thick core. That would be better. Sorry it violates all my pratical experiences with heat exchanges used in application like this. But heck I could be wrong....there are only unp-teen thousand engines running around holding up to my understandings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's rediculous. Yes there is a opint to too big, but the pressure drop of having an 8" thick core and 8" ID pipes would be crazy. IF you only had 3" ID pipes on an 8" thick intercooler, that would yield crazy pressure drop. Now lets get with something realistic. Like 2.75" piping on a 3.5" or 3.8" core.

the reason cars utilize a 3" thick MAX core is because of space. There's just WAY too much stuff in the area where you'd mount an intercooler to put a 4" or more inch core in there. The actual cooling area is inbetween the fins, and on the face (but more so inbetween). This is why precision intercoolers yield a lowe IAT vs a 2.5" thick blitz one. that has nearly 1.5 times the surface area.

-Ryan
Old 12-01-2003, 01:00 PM

If you plan on running a taller intercooler for additional fins, have fins made to sid at the top of your bumper opening to cause the air to curve up to the top of the intercooler, then put fins on the sides of the intercooler to keep all the air going to the intercooler going through it, as aposed to some of it going around the sides. I saw this on a buddy's supra and it looked like it would work amazingly.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BROOD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The more rows you have the more thermal transfer it is capable of. Increasing length helps but not as much as increasing the number of available rows. Plus with longer rows there is a point where the cooling increase stops and the problems with excessive volume start to take over.
I would pick the 8x24x3 core</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said

As far as thicker not being better...it's not better because the ambient air flowing through the intercooler heats up the further it flows through the core, decreasings it's ability to cool the air charge the further it flows through the core. By the time the air has gone through half of the core it's capacity to absorb more heat is greatly reduced. Adding more thickness to the core will provide a lot less cooling ability than adding more frontal surface area.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:09 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: Intercoolers : Taller or Wider? (Haberdasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Haberdasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Adding more thickness to the core will provide a lot less cooling ability than adding more frontal surface area.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what he said

for the original question: i would consider the surface area of the opening in the front of the car. i would fill it with intercooler for best effeciency. beyond that, go taller before you go wider. since you are providing more channels for the air to flow, which means more effective cooling.