Notices

Intercooler Pipes Powder Coat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intercooler Pipes Powder Coat?

Any one on here have a set of IC pipes that have been powder coated. Have you had any discoloration or flaking? How well is it holding up on the hot side?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Intercooler Pipes Powder Coat? (TURBOED-TEG)

um, $0.98 spray paint from walmart will hold up fine. I'm sure the infinitely tougher powder coating will be overkill. If it flakes off then it is an application error not because the pipe got warm. If you have the money powder coating is a very attractive way to finish your pipes, do it.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Intercooler Pipes Powder Coat? (Bailhatch)

I've been using the 900 degree vht paint for a while now and it's held up very well. Just prep it first and primer it and paint it and you should be straight.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intercooler Pipes Powder Coat? (FOrSfEd)

I had my chargepipe coated on my last setup and on my new setup all my pipes are coated. It's great. Easy to keep them clean.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

unless your pipe temp gets to about 350* you wont have a problem. Powder starts to gel around that temp. If done right, powder coat will not flake or chip. Its almost a sealer of sorts.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:52 AM

I have had a few people tell me that Powder Coat wouldn't last very long...considering EGT's can definetly go well over 1000 degrees F. Will basically any powder coating work...are there different grades?

Also, has anyone ever powder coated a Compressor Housing on a turbo before??

Modified by TURBOED-TEG at 7:25 PM 10/21/2004
Old 10-21-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Re: (TURBOED-TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBOED-TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have had a few people tell me that Powder Coat wouldn't last very long...considering EGT's can definetly go well over 1000 degrees F. Will basically any powder coating work...are there different grades?

Also, has anyone ever powder coated a Compressor Housing on a turbo before??

Modified by TURBOED-TEG at 7:15 PM 10/21/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

EGTs have no relation to intercooler piping temps.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EGTs? you asked about charge pipes not exhaust parts. maybe 250* max on teh hot side and maybe 160 max on the cold. Time to do more searching.

For exhaust parts you want a ceramic coating. Some of those are good to over 2000* and most are good to 1500*
Old 10-21-2004, 10:28 AM

I understand that EGT's and IC piping is different, but I would have to guess that the Hot side of the IC pipe would be close to EGT temps since the probe is pretty close to were the piping comes off the turbo. And what about the Compressor housing...how hot do you think it gets?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:31 AM

Spend the extra money. I got my pipes poweder coated black and they look great, easy to clean and they are coated inside and out, which I dont think you can get with a spray can.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:37 AM

Ok, I am planning on powder coating my IC pipe and valve covers.

Anyone ever powder coated a compressor housing before?
Old 10-21-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after thinking about this ?, i dont think it would be a good idea. I dont believe that the temps will get high enough to melt it off, i do think that it would be hot enough to "gel" the powder. It wouldnt come off, but would be "soft" to the touch. They (supposedly) make a high temp powder, but i have had limited results. seems to break down just a hair above normal powder temps. We do this in house, so if you have any questions regarding powder coating, just ask.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBOED-TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I would have to guess that the Hot side of the IC pipe would be close to EGT temps since the probe is pretty close to were the piping comes off the turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You might want to try again, because that is entirely illogical. Proximity has nothing to do with it. The gasses are entirely different temps because they come from entirely different sources.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JeffS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JeffS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You might want to try again, because that is entirely illogical. Proximity has nothing to do with it. The gasses are entirely different temps because they come from entirely different sources.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FOrSfEd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've been using the 900 degree vht paint for a while now and it's held up very well. Just prep it first and primer it and paint it and you should be straight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have used the 1500 vht.... finish was great and it held up VERY well... flat black finish.

btw I just scuffed the surface being painted and cleaned it very well... no primer. never had it flake or anything.

a friend got his powder coated and that finish is very slick durable... definately nicer if you wanna pay more. although I will say you should be careful when coating certain things... example... hks ss bov flanges uses a big c clip, and if you have the flange coated on the inside the clip will not seat correctly.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intercooler Pipes Powder Coat? (twkdCD595)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by twkdCD595 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you have the flange coated on the inside the clip will not seat correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-21-2004, 12:33 PM

I will take everyones word on the temp issue with the IC pipe..

WHAT ABOUT THE COMPESSOR HOUSING?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tactic$)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tactic$ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after thinking about this ?, i dont think it would be a good idea. I dont believe that the temps will get high enough to melt it off, i do think that it would be hot enough to "gel" the powder. It wouldnt come off, but would be "soft" to the touch. They (supposedly) make a high temp powder, but i have had limited results. seems to break down just a hair above normal powder temps. We do this in house, so if you have any questions regarding powder coating, just ask. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-21-2004, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just out of curiosity why does everyone want powder coated pipes. Wouldn't it be harder for some of the heat to dissapate through the IC piping. I mean i realize it wouldn;t store in a rediculous amount of heat, but with my setup i'm building now i'm getting aluminum charge piping for the heat factor (also weight but the heat is what made me think to do it)
Old 10-21-2004, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16hybridsol)

Your correct...... powder will hender the dissapation process, but i dont think it would be enough to make a huge difference on a street car (which im assuming this is) If you were after the FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR RACECAR then i would be concerned.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tactic$)

I would think a 2 stage automotive body paint would be great for charge pipes. It will give you the glossy finish and can definatly take heat up to 200*-300* (think of a black hood in thesun). Plus it's really cheap since you could just get some left over paint to do all your pipes and more... fun DIY project with a $10 spray gun from harbor freight or something.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURBOED-TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will take everyones word on the temp issue with the IC pipe..

WHAT ABOUT THE COMPESSOR HOUSING?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Um, you need to read more bro. The compressor cover is what the charge pipe are connected to so the temprature is in the same range as the hot pipe.

Someone should post up one of those cool diagrams showing the flow through a turbo system for this kid..
Old 10-21-2004, 02:36 PM

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Someone should post up one of those cool diagrams showing the flow through a turbo system for this kid..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looking...
stand by
Old 10-21-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Re: (GT61 this 1.8t)

here you go NOOB!
learn how it works before you start your project.

Old 10-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GT61 this 1.8t)

nice, that should help him figure out what is hot and what isn't

(hint - blue is cool, red is hot)
Old 10-21-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

I actually worked as a painter in a powdercoating plant. Powdercoating is a very strong and durable type of finish. A properly coated; baked at proper temperature part will NOT flake or discolor. If you are going to do high temp parts (manifolds and turbos, chargepipes are not high temp) than make sure they coat it with a high temp powder. I believe it was Dupont that had powders that were good to 1600 degree. This is of course if the person who is applying the coating has an oven that can bake the part at the appropriate temp. If you get a good painter than the powdercoat should last longer than your boosted Honda.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Pipes Powder Coat?