Notices

Intake manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifolds

So what's the best combo intake manifold and throttle body for a 400-450whp build? I currently have a type r intake manifold and 62mm throttle body, i'm sure this could be improved on!

Input appreciated
Old 01-22-2013, 04:01 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Default Re: Intake manifolds

Research
But just about any combo will yield you the whp you want, just need to choose where you want it to shine
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mid-top end ideally. Is there any difference between Skunk2 intake manifold and Type r I.M?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Victor x is a good manifold
Old 01-22-2013, 04:37 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Originally Posted by Boyle.R
Mid-top end ideally. Is there any difference between Skunk2 intake manifold and Type r I.M?
Idk google it
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The version 1 Skunk2 IM (which is the one I am using currently), is a slightly ported version of the ITR IM, Skunk developed it originally for a slight improvement of volume and have the application range to include GSR heads, since ITR IM's can only fit ITR motors or b16s.

The newer Skunk2 Pro Series is a more improved version of the above, also twice the price.

I'm also running 68mm Skunk2 throttle body.

Currently at 400whp/270tq

Bumping up boost this spring to about 440-450whp.

You should have no problems with either the ITR or Skunk IM, and a 62-70mm TB.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the victor x really does help make power especially above 7000 rpm.

if not, try and find the skunk2 pro series manifold
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for that power level the type r will be ideal. will give a better powerband maybe a few less hp up top per psi of boost but better overall usable power.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, the only upgrade I would make is from an OEM intake manifold to the Edelbrock Victor X....then pick a throttle body that roughly matches your charge piping size. IMO there is no point in running anything larger as the charge piping would become the bottleneck, not the TB
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ehh.. never mind
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the skunk will give mid range power. victor is good for top end .. 7000-10,000 rpms
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just use what you already have.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4genaccordfreak
The version 1 Skunk2 IM (which is the one I am using currently), is a slightly ported version of the ITR IM, Skunk developed it originally for a slight improvement of volume and have the application range to include GSR heads, since ITR IM's can only fit ITR motors or b16s.

The newer Skunk2 Pro Series is a more improved version of the above, also twice the price.

I'm also running 68mm Skunk2 throttle body.

Currently at 400whp/270tq

Bumping up boost this spring to about 440-450whp.

You should have no problems with either the ITR or Skunk IM, and a 62-70mm TB.
So there is a difference between Type r intake and the Skunk intake? They look very similar!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
Personally, the only upgrade I would make is from an OEM intake manifold to the Edelbrock Victor X....then pick a throttle body that roughly matches your charge piping size. IMO there is no point in running anything larger as the charge piping would become the bottleneck, not the TB
I've 2.5" boost pipes.... I can get a Professional products 65mm TB if that would be of benefit?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So there is a difference between Type r intake and the Skunk intake? They look very similar!
Yes, they look similar on the outside. Like I said in my post, the Skunk2 unit is a slightly ported copy of the ITR manifold. The gains yielded by it on your setup would be minimal at best. The most benefit would be for people using GSR heads to get rid of the factory (sea-shell) style manifold with the IAB's, to a much simpler and user-friendly design.

AGAIN, I would keep what you have, unless you plan on pushing more down the road, at which point I would purchase the Edelbrock VictorX.

The newer Skunk2 Pro-series is a waste of $$$ in comparison (to purchase new).
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How about a Skunk2 Alpha series 66mm throttle body? My boost pipes are 63.5mm and my current throttle body 62mm so perhaps it would be better to have my TB atleast as big if not slightly bigger than boost pipes?!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A stock throttle body can make more than 450. Your thinking is correct but will be fine with what you have with a 62mm.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So in other words i'm wasting my money
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Victor x got one with a 70 mil or u can check out ill garage.com they just took over production of a company they make a very mice intake.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lsturbo33
A stock throttle body can make more than 450.
yep, mine is at the moment
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sure, the stocks are good to 450, maybe more. Unless you're building a high power build where every bit of air flow efficiency counts, you'll be fine stock TB and a low stage IM.

But you're losing a lot of flow potential. Ideally you want a TB that is about the same size as your charge piping leading up, maybe a little larger but definitely not smaller. Then you want an ideal plenum and runner setup.

This may be getting a little technical, but all well. With a 4cyl under ideal conditions each cylinder will be taking away from the air pressure and volume as you move through the plenum and across the runners. To keep it simple, these aren't accurate numbers as it always varies, lets say at cyl1 there is 100% volume, at cyl2 there is 75% of the original, at cyl3 there's 50%, and cyl4 there's 25% left. Like I said it is not nearly that drastic but that is just to keep it simple. Your a typical plenum is a pill shape, staying uniform the whole way. But, to ideally give each cylinder the same amount of air, you need the plenum to slope off as you move across the cylinders to compensate from the loss of air as you move across. The reason this is important is because at cyl1 you'll have a different A/F then you would at the others. This makes tuning sometimes slightly inaccurate and may cause the different cylinders to be each pumping a different horsepower from the others, putting it almost unnoticeably out of rotating balance. Some people may be thinking that since you're boosting, there's enough pressure going in that the plenum and runner shape doesn't matter as much as an NA setup, I beg to differ but that's neither here nor there. Also, around the walls of the trottle body and charge pipes, the airs velocity slows, so most of the volume is in the center. To compensate for this, the runners should come up inside the plenum to be sit about 1/8-1/4" above the bottom of the TB inlet so that you're capturing the center where velocity is its highest.

There is more to this, but it really doesn't matter unless you're making a high power machine were every detail counts. In that case you're losing power by not refining it. You'll be fine with a stock TB and Skunk IM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
I agree the victor x would be the best off the shelf intake avil, and a tb that matches your charge pipe will be sufficient. A 3" charge pipe with 70mm tb will be ideal and still give you room to grow.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Can you guys spoon feed him some more?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Looks are similar, the way they were made and setup is VERY different.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So far, justYncredible, this is your contribution to this thread...

Originally Posted by justYncredible
Research
But just about any combo will yield you the whp you want, just need to choose where you want it to shine
Idk google it
Can you guys spoon feed him some more?
You have clearly been here long enough to know a stupid thread from an informative one. Threads like this are not just for the OP but for other members of the technical forums.

Your posts are perfect examples of what have polluted these technical forums from the information overload they used to be 10 years ago, when people were happy to help others get up to speed with their projects.

The OP has asked a legitimate question, politely, with no BS or about a sarcastic/ridiculous topic. He has also been in PM contact with me and TheShodan about his build and turbo options, he is still learning.

If this is all you have to provide to this thread, then GTFO!

Quick Reply: Intake manifolds