Notices

I need help, big time....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 07:19 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help, big time....

Okay... to recap, I realised that I am getting white smoke from my tail pipe, and so I brought it in to do a leakdown test. the leakdown test shows that I am having 4% leakage on all cylinders. the oil looks good, and not contaminated, and so are the coolant. I think i am burning some coolant, but not enough to make it overheat or to need to top it up every 30 miles. so what else can it be then? I can't seem to find out where else it might be leaking coolant.

My H22A4 has golden eagle sleeves, je 10:1 pistons and crower rods, and web valvetrain.

thanx guys. I am really at the end of the rope here.
Old 11-13-2001, 07:22 PM
Trial User

Default Re: I need help, big time.... (98lude)

oh, I forgot to add, that the spark plug does not seem wet, but it is white, and it looks like it has been washed clean instead of just running lean. the white fumes is pretty obvious in the day, and the fumes does smell like coolant vapor. The exhaust tip does seems to be wet and black, and I seriously doubt that it is the new exhaust that I have.

thanx
Old 11-13-2001, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Head gasket.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:18 PM
Trial User

Default Re: I need help, big time.... (Incognito)

how can it be head gasket if the leakdown test shows that it is not leaking pressure from the cylinder?
Old 11-14-2001, 09:37 AM

didnt you say there was a 4% leakage in all cylinders?

Head gasket.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:22 AM
Trial User

Default Re: I need help, big time.... (wonny)

isn't 4% leakage a healthy sign? should I really expect 0% leakage at all? as far as I know, there will be some minimum leakage in all cylinder, and 4% should be okay right?
Old 11-14-2001, 11:58 AM
New User

What kind of head bolts? Your stock head bolts may be stretching allowing breech of head gasket when under boost. Especially at the high static compression ratio you run on top of what ever boost pressures.

What's the exact set up? Is your turbo dry or wet?
Old 11-14-2001, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I need help, big time.... (GGrahnVI)

What kind of head bolts? Your stock head bolts may be stretching allowing breech of head gasket when under boost. Especially at the high static compression ratio you run on top of what ever boost pressures.

Just to get your attention GGrahnVI...."DO THE PUYALLUP"!!!
Meeker elementary/Allen Jr. High/Puyallup High !!!
Old 11-14-2001, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I need help, big time.... (Spade)

im almost positive that 3% leakdown is near factory, so 4% is real good, no probs there. does the car smoke under normal driving, or just under boost? how many miles since you got the car back on the road, has it been doing this just recently, or has the head been off recently, did your reuse any bolts...basically we need more details.

id agree with the others in saying that its the headgasket given the information though.

Tom
Old 11-14-2001, 12:21 PM
Trial User

Default Re: I need help, big time.... (GGrahnVI)

I was suppose to get arp head bolts, but I doubt the Charles remember to put that in. The thing is, I don't even need to boost to have white smoke, so would that be the reason why then? I am really lost here...

my t4e/t3 is not cooled by the coolant, and I have beyond what I said above, I have stock head and intake manifold with 2.5" -3" dp, cat and exhaust.

thanx for all the suggestions, and keep them coming...
Old 11-14-2001, 04:14 PM
Trial User

Default Re: I need help, big time.... (rawdigga)

LISTEN..... what you are describing is normal... why are you looking for a problem that is not there you have the facts in front of you....
1. whitish smoke --does this happen only when you first start the car and let it run for a lil while... if so then its condensttion are you runnning a cat ? if not then once again its condensation.... the exhaust tip will get little moisture bubbles on it UNTIL the car is at engine temp and/ or you have driven it around the block... if IT ISNT SMOKING ALL THE TIME OR LOSING COOLANT --- DONT WORRY
2. CLEAN spark plug !! thats a good thing .. prolly should be a lil black around the outside due to running a lil rich at idle... make sure the spark plug has no black spots or abnormal "specks" on it.... other than that a clean plug can be just that a CLEAN PLUG
facts: leakdown is GREAT 4% DONT WORRY.... im sure you did a compression check... everything is fine!!!! car run good? does it smoke all the time??
dont worry i think you are just a lil to worried not that its a bad thing but id hate to see you rebuild your motor for nothing..... turbo's are fun so have fun with it... worry only when you see major signs oil in coolant lots of smoke NOT a puff now and then, BAD plugs burtn melted abnormally black brown etc..... ---joe
thanx for all the support. the car will only smoke when it is warmed up, and the smoke are pretty obvious too. The car actually still runs pretty good, and the oil pressure, and vaccuum are good as well. No, I have not boosted it ever since I noticed this. The rebuild was completed 2 months ago, and I did notice that I will have a bit of white smoke in the beginning, but recently, it just got a lot more. another thing is that, the spark plug has no abnormalty on it. Is it actually possible that I have a crack head?
Old 11-14-2001, 04:16 PM
Trial User

Default Re: I need help, big time.... (Tomakit)

im almost positive that 3% leakdown is near factory, so 4% is real good, no probs there. does the car smoke under normal driving, or just under boost? how many miles since you got the car back on the road, has it been doing this just recently, or has the head been off recently, did your reuse any bolts...basically we need more details.

id agree with the others in saying that its the headgasket given the information though.

Tom
Once the car is warmed up, the car will smoke a bit at idle, and a lot more when the gas pedal is pressed. Ever since the rebuild, it has been almost 1-2k miles on the engine.